Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another chain lube vid, but you might watch this one, though...

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
The only thing I can say is based on experience with the thermal imager.

When I first started using it I must say I was shocked at how hot the chain was running. After I fitted the scottoiler the chain no longer stood out when I was checking the rear tyre temp.

So, for such a marked reduction in heat, lubrication is achieving something.

The question is what effect does the haet have on the life of the chain and sprockets? Are there any performance gains to be had from the reduced friction. I can't say I've noticed a difference in fuel consumption, suggesting any performance gain is so small it's insignificant.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Manual says to lube the chain ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Ducati has more experience with motorcycles than I ever will. They don't even say lube with Ducati unicorn horn dust. So this leads me to believe that they are not really benefiting from me lubing the chain. Also I never want to experience a chain letting loose on me.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I am disappointed with Bel-ray. I had 3 cans of it and next I try something different - just too much dirt all around - probably me giving little too much. Anyway, I agree with @thereisanothersteve - I use it just because phisics - reduciton of friction. No other super theory in my mind.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I am disappointed with Bel-ray. I had 3 cans of it and next I try something different - just too much dirt all around - probably me giving little too much. Anyway, I agree with @thereisanothersteve - I use it just because phisics - reduciton of friction. No other super theory in my mind.
I've had the same can of chain wax for maybe 10 years. Of course, I mostly rode shaft drives during that time.

Still, I like WD40 and a rag + Chain Wax. Love the smell.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Now I think I'll give up on the Chain Wax. This explains why I need to frequently clean it but with no real corresponding benefit.

So I'm going to clean my chains with WD40 (or kerosene) and lube with gear oil. Owning 2 Guzzis, I usually have some around.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
1UB, I was just going to put a thin coat on with a rag. Certainly not as messy as cleaning a chain.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I started using gear oil a while back, it does cause a bit more of a mess on the back wheel but I think that’s a fair trade off. I’ve found I don’t get as much road grime sticking to the chain.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I checked the chain today. I think I've run a couple of tanks through it, so I am guessing about 250 miles or so.

Chain was much cleaner than chain wax. Not a lot of muck on the rear wheel or sprocket. It was so clean, I didn't bother to clean it with WD40. I just ran a rag on it, then rubbed a couple of tablespoons on gear oil on it. Seemed pretty good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Interesting...I assume BMW has thoroughly tested it. Wonder if will be introduced with those selected models for 2021.
Sounds like it from the article. Also stated that Regina may bring out versions under it's own brand. Time will tell whether this is viable solution or not.

Meh...lubing a chain isn’t a big discrminator in my enjoyment of motorcycling.
Me neither however they are claiming the chain doesn't stretch as much so if adjusting the chain could be go away, at least for a lot of miles, then I'd be more interested.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What happen if you don’t lube the chain? It there a risk to break something or the wear is only improved?

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
What happen if you don’t lube the chain? It there a risk to break something or the wear is only improved?
Definitely increased wear on both the chain and sprockets leading to more adjustments.

Plus the bike just rides with a totally unnecessary amount of low grade vibration.

Some people say that can’t tell the difference on their bike between a dry chain and a lubricated chain. Man, I DEFINITELY can tell the difference so I lubricate my chain about every 500km, more frequently if I’m experiencing rain.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I like to check my chain every 300 miles or so. Pretty easy with the rear stand to clean the bike, check the oil, inspect, clean, lube adjust the chain. I've been impressed that my chain stays much cleaner with gear oil.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
I use a scottoiler on mine. Automatically dispenses one drop of oil every 60 seconds. You can adjust the timing. The oil appears to be gear oil or ATF, similar consistency and tack.

We have one on order for the ZX14R, first thing Chris asked for when I explained how I maintain my bike.

Reactions: LowRyter
1 - 20 of 31 Posts