Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 SS with 3K KMs. Running 33 psi on front 36 in rear. Pirelli Rosso 3s.
Front refuses to turn easily without countersteering. And I mean really heavy input.
Couldn't find a dot marking but found this. Did they even make these tyres in 2012. ? Rear shows Dot and 0717.
Maybe a replacement front at some time. Can't believe factory would fit 5 year old tyres.

Anyway, IF this is the right marking I'll get a new front.
Has anyone had this riding effect from newish but old tyres?

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
As I recall, the Rosso III was introduced in early 2016…

A tire's date of manufacture appears as a four-digit code in an oval symbol on the sidewall.The first two numbers represent the week and the second two the year.

Here’s my rear tire, manufactured week 27, year 2020.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Front refuses to turn easily without countersteering. And I mean really heavy input.
Couldn't find a dot marking but found this. Did they even make these tyres in 2012. ? Rear shows Dot and 0717.
Maybe a replacement front at some time. Can't believe factory would fit 5 year old tyres.

@Ed K linked a photo of the date code, you’re looking at the product or model code. I’d also suggest using the 36/36 recommended in the manual for pressures, that seems to be their sweet spot.

As far as the tires go, I and a few others noticed the tires start to handle weird at about their half-life stage and exhibit traits similar to what you are describing. I thought I had a suspension issue but before I went too far down that road I swapped tires for Pilot Power 5s and IMMEDIATELY had that sweet, sweet handling and feel return to my bike that it had when new.

When I pulled the tires I noticed (I may have this swapped) that the front wore to a very distinct V shape and the rear a distinct U shape making the profiles not match and the bike hard to fall into a corner and stay there. It was almost like that feeling of fighting cold tires in the morning where they won’t turn then feel like they drop out from under you once you do turn. Very unnerving and completely gone with the new rubber.

Couple other notes: others have not noticed this and continue to run the Rosso IIIs without issue, others that kinda noticed it have said the non-oem Rosso’s are not as bad as the OEMs were and lastly, my extremely frugal-at-times father didn’t want to see my half worn tires go to waste and spooned them onto his F4i and immediately the bike went from sweet riding to handling poorly, and exactly how I described it above.

So definitely there is something with those tires and how they wear.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the same issue on my Rosso 11's, swapped for a fresh set of 111's and the issue went away. I also found that the SS is very sensitive to tyre pressures, 36 PSI front and rear makes the bike tip in very easily. I found this too quick for my riding style so dropped the pressure to around 34/33 and it immediately slows down the want to drop into corners so quick.

Matt

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pumped it up to 36. Still takes a bit of effort. WIll wait to see if its me getting used to a more upright position before I blame the tyres. Found the correct DOT code on the other side of the tyre.... 2017 maufactured.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what previous motorcycles have you ridden? If you come from a background of CBR/GSXR/YZF, then you should expect this bike to turn a little slower, it has more relaxed suspension geometry numbers than a true sport bike, but also contributes to the bike's excellent mid corner stability.

Another point, your 2017 manufactured tires are about to age out of their useful life. Consider replacements soon.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thks for asking. Yesterday , I took the bike for a short run to a national Park following a friend's 888.
I am a returning biker , from 25 years of nothing to my one year anniversary yesterday of hopping back on one of the stupidest and most exhilarating purchases I have ever made.
Relearning on a rhs , spine contortioning, no frills bit of magic was an experience.
I am still alive, and slowly getting better.
The 939 is slower to tip in, almost like the steering head bearings are too tight. Just weird.
Will keep riding, maybe it's the more upright position, but so far not so good.
Only other thing I can think off is to swap with another 939 SS to compare.
Not so easy in lockdown.

Other previous bikes. Only Duke's from 1982. 250 single, Pantah, 900 SS X 4 , 78 bevel, now 76 900 SS, SC1000S and the latest 939 .
May just get a new front tyre. Hate throwing away $. Less than 3 K on a front . Bloody hell.

Wheel Tire Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Thks for asking. Yesterday , I took the bike for a short run to a national Park following a friend's 888.
I am a returning biker , from 25 years of nothing to my one year anniversary yesterday of hopping back on one of the stupidest and most exhilarating purchases I have ever made.
Relearning on a rhs , spine contortioning, no frills bit of magic was an experience.
I am still alive, and slowly getting better.
The 939 is slower to tip in, almost like the steering head bearings are too tight. Just weird.
Will keep riding, maybe it's the more upright position, but so far not so good.
Only other thing I can think off is to swap with another 939 SS to compare.
Not so easy in lockdown.

Other previous bikes. Only Duke's from 1982. 250 single, Pantah, 900 SS X 4 , 78 bevel, now 76 900 SS, SC1000S and the latest 939 .
May just get a new front tyre. Hate throwing away $. Less than 3 K on a front . Bloody hell.

View attachment 44015
Put the new tires on it, you won’t regret it.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took it to my local wrench , who rides more Dukes than I ever will . Turns out to be me.....
Can drop the front by 5mm to make it turn in a little quicker and more similar to my SS and SC. Or live with it.
Cheapest visit yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's definitely a move heavy feeling bike when turning. The long-ish distance between front and rear wheels. By contrast, my more sport Street Triple feels like it turns on a dime compared to the SS.

·
Registered
2018 Supersport 939 S
16 Posts
Judging by your riding history, I reckon you're still getting used to the increased inertia of the wider tyres of the new generation Supersport. It might not be the whole answer and the age of that front tyre is definitely a factor. However fatter tyres do require more initial steering input than the skinny rubber fitted to older machines and the payback is greater grip from the larger contact patches once you get the bike leaned over. Try putting a bit more forearm effort into those counter-steering inputs, you might find that the SS 939 absolutely responds in kind, and gives an even greater appreciation of what a fine-handling machine it is.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Judging by your riding history, I reckon you're still getting used to the increased inertia of the wider tyres of the new generation Supersport. It might not be the whole answer and the age of that front tyre is definitely a factor. However fatter tyres do require more initial steering input than the skinny rubber fitted to older machines and the payback is greater grip from the larger contact patches once you get the bike leaned over. Try putting a bit more forearm effort into those counter-steering inputs, you might find that the SS 939 absolutely responds in kind, and gives an even greater appreciation of what a fine-handling machine it is.
Yeah, I think you're on the money there. Particularly the skinny versus fat tyre thoughts , tho the bevel at least has modernish tyres on it. I AM surprised as I was expecting the 939 to be at least as quick steering as its sisters in the shed.
As my mechanic sida," with the 76 you point your head and it turns". Guess I will have to get used to using my forearms more .
BTW, it was my mistake on the 'DOT" reading , it was 2017 rubber.

Thanks all for your thoughts . May fiddle with lowering the front in a few months time . Or not...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Yeah, I think you're on the money there. Particularly the skinny versus fat tyre thoughts , tho the bevel at least has modernish tyres on it. I AM surprised as I was expecting the 939 to be at least as quick steering as its sisters in the shed.
As my mechanic sida," with the 76 you point your head and it turns". Guess I will have to get used to using my forearms more .
BTW, it was my mistake on the 'DOT" reading , it was 2017 rubber.

Thanks all for your thoughts . May fiddle with lowering the front in a few months time . Or not...
It doesn't sound right to me. My bike has been set up with the front slightly down and arse slightly up and it tips in and flicks left and right quite fast just the way i like it. I dont think its the front tyre (could be wrong) but i would defiantly check if the head bearing isn't too tight. In the mean time try a few test runs with the rear raised up(quite a lot for the test) once you have raised the back up high it should dip in Uncomfortably Quick (where you need to hold it back from dipping in. If it does this, all good (y) you know your setup is not right. (remember you need to set the bike up for how your riding now, you can adjust it as you get more used to the bike) Start winding the back down again till you feel it does not tip in well anymore, then you know where you are, add a couple of turn back up and you should be good. (do this all at one session or you will lose the feeling.) If you had your SAG set properly this thread would probably be mute. Good like Champion and see you at the Oxley (gingers creek ) when you open the boarder and let us Queenslanders back in.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'll agree with a comment below that 36 on the front will help a ton. I felt that briefly before going back to 36. I had even wear on my set and am just replacing at 4500 miles - a bit ahead of the normal wear I get on Rosso Corsa Tyres.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts