Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my social media has been flooded with images of the new SuperSport 950. The specs read pretty much like the SuperSport 939... same engine and exhaust just tweaked to meet Euro 5, and some aesthetic work to the fairing and the lights. Of course, the electronics certainly get an upgrade, with Bosch Cornering ABS, 6 IMUs and a funky new colour dash, which looks about the same size as the old.
So I am wondering, do you think it would be possible to replace the old monochrome dash of the 939 with that funky new colour dash from the 950?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,672 Posts
So my social media has been flooded with images of the new SuperSport 950. The specs read pretty much like the SuperSport 939... same engine and exhaust just tweaked to meet Euro 5, and some aesthetic work to the fairing and the lights. Of course, the electronics certainly get an upgrade, with Bosch Cornering ABS, 6 IMUs and a funky new colour dash, which looks about the same size as the old.
So I am wondering, do you think it would be possible to replace the old monochrome dash of the 939 with that funky new colour dash from the 950?
Thanks in advance.
Once I see the wiring diagram for the new bike I should be able to figure that out.
However the new dash will also incorporate facility for the new functions - cornering ABS, etc. so may not function correctly or show errors.
Bear in mind too the the dash also contains the immobiliser which is linked to the ECU and it also talks with the BBS which could throw up further problems. e.g. As I understand it the mileage is recorded in the dash, the BBS and possibly the ECU. The VIN is recorded in the ECU and the BBS. So it may not be easy to change one without the others unless you have the dealer diagnostic tools.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It depends on the system design of the vehicle itself.
If the instrument panel ECU is designed to read only CAN/LIN signals(or whatever they use) and set the control values without handling logic and system state, it might work with errors for reading values for (Wheelie controls/IMU stuff .. etc)

If the instrument panel ECU is designed to contain logic and maintain system state, It will likely fail.
Instrument panel also could contain secret (similar to password) to authenticate that it's Ducati original part with the rest of the bike system.
That password could be not compatible with our SS bikes, who knows :/

I wouldn't expect it to work, but would be interesting.

@Derek, Ducati Diagnostic System is a dealer only tool that's used in an official setting with a special internet authentication from Ducati servers, I wouldn't expect dealers to help you experimenting with flashing ECUs on the bike :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I even thought about the upgrading the headlight to LED as the SSS 950. Then, again the housing of the headlight is totally different. which would demand changing to the 950 fairings and try to match the same 950 mounting point of the entire new fairings and headlights on the bike.

Buying original fairings and headlights must cost money equal to just trading-in the bike :D

Really if you want all these features, trading-in your current bike might be the way to go. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I never got enthused about having a color TFT instrument panel on my SuperSport. Now that I have a great TFT panel on my Multistrada, I think it would be a great upgrade.

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once I see the wiring diagram for the new bike I should be able to figure that out.
However the new dash will also incorporate facility for the new functions - cornering ABS, etc. so may not function correctly or show errors.
Bear in mind too the the dash also contains the immobiliser which is linked to the ECU and it also talks with the BBS which could throw up further problems. e.g. As I understand it the mileage is recorded in the dash, the BBS and possibly the ECU. The VIN is recorded in the ECU and the BBS. So it may not be easy to change one without the others unless you have the dealer diagnostic tools.
Derek, thank you so much for thinking that through and taking the time to explain that. You’re awesome! If, per chance, you get your hands on a wiring diagram, and it seems a possibility, then drop me a line. Most of the Ducati Owners my way just wrote the notion off as ridiculous and suggested I trade-up to the new model. In other circumstances that might be an option, but I’ve only just got this particular beastie and frankly I’m not sure I am as keen on the fairing updates.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,672 Posts
@Derek, Ducati Diagnostic System is a dealer only tool that's used in an official setting with a special internet authentication from Ducati servers, I wouldn't expect dealers to help you experimenting with flashing ECUs on the bike :)
I am aware of that ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts