Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only half kidding here... I normally have Waze running on my phone when I ride. If there is a rain chance, I use the phone's split screen for Waze at the top and a small weather radar below.
Instead of the radar, what if I put the phone's camera into (very wide-angle) selfie mode - and that would give the rear view?
I'm actually excited to try this!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well if you're going that way, check out the rear view tail cameras. There was guy selling these for BMWs, saw one in an unbelievable police chase video, that replaced one of your review mirrors. My understanding is that they install a very small camera in your tail piece and either bluetooth or direct wire the image to a small monitor that replaces the glass in your rear view mirror, or to your phone that's mounted on a bracket as many of us have done. Doing the former is significantly more money and more integrated, however just assembling a solution to display an image on your phone would be great.

I'm kind of surprised this technology hasn't become mainstream, perhaps more of an issue with select manufacturers like Ducati. Wouldn't think it's cost, suspect you could market something like this between $100 - $500.

Reactions: A8tomic

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not that I need more crap hanging off my helmet (GoPro and Cardo), check this out ... Zona Rearview Camera .

At this point I'd rather have the camera maybe attached to rear of my helmet, sort of all in one deal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing I don’t like about these and others like them is that I don’t want to have an additional monitor on my bike. Seems like using your cell phone as the monitor is ideal.
Yup, exactly my thought. Haven't found one that uses BT -> cell for its monitor, though. (edit: for less than $150)

I've got this one in my cart.... Thinking... thinking...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yup, exactly my thought. Haven't found one that uses BT -> cell for its monitor, though. (edit: for less than $150)

I've got this one in my cart.... Thinking... thinking...
Might be worth a try for $50. I’ll spend more time looking for a BT camera only solution in the coming days.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprised someone hasn't come up with a rear-looking cam that uses the original mirrors' housing for the displays.
Not the exact same thing, but it's pretty automatic when you look for the mirrors, there are camera displays there.
Like this VW.

The little bulge on the door is a camera.

That's my Passat next to it! My car had not been washed for two years. Divorce is a biotch, but I got it and all my other cars back in the end.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Surprised someone hasn't come up with a rear-looking cam that uses the original mirrors' housing for the displays.
Not the exact same thing, but it's pretty automatic when you look for the mirrors, there are camera displays there.
Like this VW.

That's my Passat next to it! My car had not been washed for two years. Divorce is a biotch, but I got it and all my other cars back in the end.
If the camera display was housed in the mirror, we would no doubt still have the same problem of vibration when looking into the display 😕

Reactions: mijube and A8tomic

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha true but in my fantasy the cam & display(s) would come with stalks that looked less like a horny snail's antennae! (e.g., short ones)... Or better yet just a central display.
Oh, wait. That's what I was after originally.

Actual helpful info:
The rear-facing camera has to be "mirrored" or else it's not useful as a rearview mirror substitute.. I'm not sure if the one I have coming tomorrow does (yes I searched & asked).

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the camera display was housed in the mirror, we would no doubt still have the same problem of vibration when looking into the display 😕
Vibration could be an issue although the actual camera is mounted in the rear subframe. I use my iPhone mounted to my ignition bracket and vibration isn’t an issue as far as I can tell. That said, vibration and possibly streaming issues could be a problem. I’m not a EE so a bit outside my area but I’ll look for a low cost solution worth trying.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
My colleague installed a spherical mirror in his Yamaha.

I'm more towards the small rounded spherical mirrors in the corners of the original ones, but I left it aside as not even searched how to get them.

The newest Hyundai Santa Fe has the cameras with turn signals

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Vibration could be an issue although the actual camera is mounted in the rear subframe. I use my iPhone mounted to my ignition bracket and vibration isn’t an issue as far as I can tell. That said, vibration and possibly streaming issues could be a problem. I’m not a EE so a bit outside my area but I’ll look for a low cost solution worth trying.
Understand about the camera being mounted on the subframe, but what I was trying to say was if the screen you looked into was a replacement for the mirror glass itself, then the infamous SS mirror vibration issue would no doubt still exist as we wouldn't be able to see the screen 😂😂

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got my stock mirrors on my Supersport S to work better by just going faster and putting my chin on the gas tank. A much better view - give it a try!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Videos I’ve taken with iPhone 11 are unwatchable. Too much vibration. GoPro, on the other hand, can compensate. So, not sure how good the rear view would be. Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
For sure they are different as I was told by a journalist who was on the first presentation. The official delivery is in April? No clue till then.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine is delivered in March, i hope!
Will report on the mirrors. But i see no difference between old and new model on the pictures, so....🤔

1 - 20 of 22 Posts