Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

John talks like he actually owns the 950.

What was really interesting was when I flipped back in that old Motorcyclist to the “World’s Best Sportbike” cover story. That original 916 made exactly 1 hp more than this new Testastretta SS, 2.6 fewer lb-ft of torque, and weighed 1 pound more than the new SS. What we’re looking at here, then, is a modern, comfortable 916 for $95 more than the original 916 sold for, that’s also Euro 5 clean and comes with a quickshifter, Ohlins suspension and an IMU to keep you from hurting yourself. A pretty good quarter-century of progress, really. And the base, non-S model is only $13,495.

The other kids wouldn’t share the new V4 Streetfighter or Panigale, but if they’re like the first-year Panigale I rode around Laguna Seca a session or two, upon which I was exhausted after about two laps, I just don’t think I’d enjoy an all-day ride on the street as much as I do cruising on the SuperSport. An 11,500-rpm torque peak seems too much like work, and I don’t need 208 horsepower very often.

But it’s nice to know Ducati offers them as an option: 25 years ago, the 916 was as fast as Italian bikes got, and your Supersport wasn’t too far off the pace. Now, the new SS’s 916-level performance seems relatively sedate. Have my skills really gotten that much better in these last 25 years? I feel like I should ask my doctor if it’s safe for me to ride the new Ducati Streetfighter? You?

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
Nice California roads in that area, too...

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I regret that the title here is in error as reported on another forum. Of course the '90s version of the 900 SS was not the "original". The bevel drive 900 SS preceded this one.

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
I noticed one other minor error in the article too... but no biggie...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pretty good story. I used to ride with a bunch of guys on 900ss in 95,96 timeframe that looked just like that one. Also had a friend that had a 916. I had a 900 rr at the time. Ron rode his 916 over to my friend Dave’s house to use his CO meter to check his air fuel ratio. We could hear it coming about a block away. When he finally got to Dave’s house, Dave looked at me and said he has a lot more problems than his af ratio. He has thrown a rod. It was the loud and noisy rattling dry clutch. It did sound just like a thrown rod. I raced Ron on his 916 and me on my 900rr on the turnpike to Tulsa. There were a whole group of us. I had a radar detector with an earphone wired into my helmet. We did a roll on from about 40 mph. We were going well over 100 when my radar detector went off. I nailed the brakes. I was leading Ron on the 916 by about 3 bike lengths with my 900rr When I nailed the brakes he shot past me like he was fired out of a cannon. He was about 100 yards ahead of me when we saw the state trooper in the median. I saw Ron look right at him and turn the throttle wide open. I went by the trooper at about 80. He turned on his lights and came zooming by me. A big relief because I thought he was going to mail me since Ron was almost out of sight by then. The trooper wanted Ron on his 916. By then Ron was probably going 160. We didn’t see Ron or the trooper anymore and we rode the speed limit to the bike shop we were going to in Tulsa. About an hour later Ron showed up there at the bike shop and said he had gone so far ahead of the trooper that he couldn’t see him anymore and exited the turnpike and taken the backroads to Tulsa. Lucky day for both of us
He had a very beautiful Ducati 916

·
Registered
97 Posts
Pretty good story. I used to ride with a bunch of guys on 900ss in 95,96 timeframe that looked just like that one. Also had a friend that had a 916. I had a 900 rr at the time. Ron rode his 916 over to my friend Dave’s house to use his CO meter to check his air fuel ratio. We could hear it coming about a block away. When he finally got to Dave’s house, Dave looked at me and said he has a lot more problems than his af ratio. He has thrown a rod. It was the loud and noisy rattling dry clutch. It did sound just like a thrown rod. I raced Ron on his 916 and me on my 900rr on the turnpike to Tulsa. There were a whole group of us. I had a radar detector with an earphone wired into my helmet. We did a roll on from about 40 mph. We were going well over 100 when my radar detector went off. I nailed the brakes. I was leading Ron on the 916 by about 3 bike lengths with my 900rr When I nailed the brakes he shot past me like he was fired out of a cannon. He was about 100 yards ahead of me when we saw the state trooper in the median. I saw Ron look right at him and turn the throttle wide open. I went by the trooper at about 80. He turned on his lights and came zooming by me. A big relief because I thought he was going to mail me since Ron was almost out of sight by then. The trooper wanted Ron on his 916. By then Ron was probably going 160. We didn’t see Ron or the trooper anymore and we rode the speed limit to the bike shop we were going to in Tulsa. About an hour later Ron showed up there at the bike shop and said he had gone so far ahead of the trooper that he couldn’t see him anymore and exited the turnpike and taken the backroads to Tulsa. Lucky day for both of us
He had a very beautiful Ducati 916
Speaking of good stories…And well told as well.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I regret that the title here is in error as reported on another forum. Of course the '90s version of the 900 SS was not the "original". The bevel drive 900 SS preceded this one.
7 I think Zarco rode to the MotoGP on an old 900SS and Miller on his Harley .... Waite your on other forums as well ! Wow will your post rate that's a lot of time spent detached from the real world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts