Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at my official Ducati key fob and realized the thickness might be within the specified clutch of 3-4 mm. measured it and verified it was in the mid range. Then figured I may as well mark the chain tension specification (35-3 mm) on it with a Sharpie.

IMG_20170612_121830.jpg

IMG_20170624_121216.jpg

When yer slow and lazy you look for short cuts. :smile2:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a steel ruler in my garage and will use that rather than getting the key fob covered in chain lube. You only need to check the tension about every 1000 miles anyway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a steel ruler in my garage and will use that rather than getting the key fob covered in chain lube. You only need to check the tension about every 1000 miles anyway.
It was just a convenience suggestion, mainly when you are not in your garage. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63 Posts
The only problem is a few months from now you'll be wondering what the mark on the key fob is for.
This is my world. :smile2:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Although not exactly on topic, I ride with no key fob because I found that the ignition switch is quite shallow and the metal ring on the fob will rub against the gas tank around the ignition.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Although not exactly on topic, I ride with no key fob because I found that the ignition switch is quite shallow and the metal ring on the fob will rub against the gas tank around the ignition.
Hopefully not to piss Oldnudmb off two much (its about the key fob...), here is how I solved that problem. So far 0 scratches!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHS8O6K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered those and then put heat shrink around the metal clasp. If you can find a smaller quantity of them I would go that route, don't know what I am gonna do with 18 more. Maybe change out all my rings... here is what it looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Slack of chain.. I push down on chain at check point and it’s 37mm from bottom of swing arm BUT chain has no tention upwards and can push all the way up to the swing arm.. is this normal coz chain flaps around while I’m riding heaps.. but owner manual says push down on chain =37mm ???? All my other bikes have had tension down and up ... but never have owned a ducati b4 so I’m confused

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Holy old thread, Batman...

There should be little difference in the amount of slack in a chain, whether pushing down on it, or up...assuming you're pushing from the mid point between both sprockets. A little chain bounciness is normal.

·
Registered
476 Posts
@se7en yeah I’m confused .. like I said I push down there is little movement /play its firm but measures 37mm from bottom of swingarm to centre of chain but up the movement/play is loose and if swim arm was not there chain would go even higher than the swinarm .. yeah old thread (trying to keep it in the correct sections hahaha)

How is everyone else’s chain movement up and down with play ?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
That's the correct spot for measuring. The movement of the chain is normal...that's what that rubber swingarm pad is for....to protect it against damage.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Holly cow I thought for a minute oldnoumb had been resurrected from the dead my inside voice was telling me I told you he is the Messiah. Ha Ha inside voice its an old thread, he has moved on and sadly wont be back.

·
Registered
476 Posts
that's a nice clean chain
@Rhino & @se7en yeah I’ve only cleaned my chain . The bike has not been cleaned yet , just after each ride I wipe bike down.. but now after that photo i took I’m going to have to wash it .. I see little bits of the white factory lube under swing arm in photo.. they are not scratches under there hahaha . And for chain cleaning I use this “The Grunge Brush”

Attachments

Reactions: Rhino

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Yup...been using the Grunge brush for years! Best product ever. I've probably been through 4 of them. Have a spare in the garage ready to go when the current one gives out. I know they make replacement bristles, but in my experience, the grooves on the handle that hold the bristles wears out before the actual bristles do. Great product, though!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts