Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all esteemed members of this board. I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I do not yet own a SuperSport, but Ducati has been my dream bike for 50 years. I personally dig the desmodromic valve in particular. By joining this forum, I hope that you would kindly lead and convince me that the SuperSport will complement my Street Triple RS. I ride on short tracks (650-1,500 metres) exclusively. It so much safer. I dare not ride on streets and highway in Thailand. It's too dangerous.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It will be hard to convince you that this bike is the end-all for you as an exclusive track bike. It's more geared toward everyday use in the real world and, as such, has the ergonomics and creature comforts for that purpose. If it were me and I was looking for a track weapon, it would be the Panigale. Now, if that is too track focused and uncomfortable, then the SuperSport is the bike for you. The risers on the clip-ons will raise your back up so you're not so bent over the front, and the legs are positioned lower so you're in less of a fetal position. With that said, those will be working against you on the track where fetal position is what is desired...that is if lower lap times are your goal. Also note, that while this bike has plenty of power for road use, on the track, you will get passed on the straights by liter bikes focused on power. They simply have more of it.

At any rate, glad you're here and I encourage you to look around and gather as much info as you can.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome Wheelinthai,

You've a good bike.
I've owned a tiger 800, street 675 and the 765 was in my short list .
Finally i bought in april my lovely red 3S with fairing , dqs u/d, ohlins and better torque at lower range.
I use it every day in traffic, in touring or short sport ride on roads.

A french magazine "desmo magazine" has compared panigale 959 and supersport 939 s on track ;
959 is a real sport bike and you've to lead the bike on the track. 959 is easier to swing on curves with its short wheelbase.
939 s is easy and confortable, shocks has to be tuned and are not as good as 959. Torque is at lower range. Dqs is not perfect with some false neutral.

When i ve tried the panigale 959 on roads in summer last year, it was very hot under my back at low speed or in traffic.
959 is not a bike of every day, it is a real track bike.

Daytona 675 could be also a good track bike for you, not too expensive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you se7en. Ducati has been my dream bike for 50 years, so you may understand that in a couple of months, I'll be 72. I'm not a racer, and I don't scrape my knees, but I do lean in and move my butt over into a turn. I still take regular coaching lessons, and enjoy getting "Wow!" from younger riders at the track. the SuperSport will complement my Street Triple RS I don't intend to use the SuperSport S as a track weapon, but simply a tool to enjoy myself. It should be more comfortable, being faired, than the 765 RS, should I venture on longer tracks, yet quite agile with short wheel base on shorter tracks. I appreciate your advices, which provide me with food for thought.

Thank you too Christm13. Dqs is not perfect with some false neutral. That' is some thing I'm not aware of. Thanks. Indeed the Daytona would be great, but as I understand, the Daytona 765 would not happen within a couple years.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Thank you se7en. Ducati has been my dream bike for 50 years, so you may understand that in a couple of months, I'll be 72. I'm not a racer, and I don't scrape my knees, but I do lean in and move my butt over into a turn. I still take regular coaching lessons, and enjoy getting "Wow!" from younger riders at the track. the SuperSport will complement my Street Triple RS I don't intend to use the SuperSport S as a track weapon, but simply a tool to enjoy myself. It should be more comfortable, being faired, than the 765 RS, should I venture on longer tracks, yet quite agile with short wheel base on shorter tracks. I appreciate your advices, which provide me with food for thought.
Well in that case, the SS is just the bike you've been looking for. Still, I recommend taking a test ride, if possible. If not possible, and with what you've described, I think this bike will fit your needs nicely. Keep us posted on your decision.

And, you keep on riding. 72 is only a number!! Good on ya!!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Welcome @wheelinthai If Ducati has been your dream bike for 50 years ..... and you haven't owned one yet (I'm assuming) then my advice would be stop fricken procrastinating and get one ! Now they have been so many over the years and there is a great range still available. Now that being said which one would suite you best ? Yes I hate to say that my bike (Ducati Super sport) would suite you perfectly with the different modes and programmable power options. Relatively light with forgiving ergonomics and so easy to ride its always a pleasure to ride whether a few hundred meters or a 6 hour ride. It horrifies me to say but my bike could be advertised as such. : "Turning 72 Years old in a few months and think that the Ducati dream has passed you by? Think again Ducati has designed a sport bike just for you no need to dislocate your hip and fuse 2 vertebra to ride this beauty. If you want to feel 21 again take this Italian beast for a slow ride down your main street with your visor down and everyone will think you are 21 LOL Joking aside mate if you feel fit enough this bike can be as calm or as aggressive as you want and if you have sat on one and feel comfortable then when you ride it you will be comfortable as well........But so would the Scrambler, have you considered that .>:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If I didn't ride on the streets and roads, I'd buy a track bike not a road bike. Something lighter and quicker with suspension more suited to track only. For the price of a supersport you'd get a great track bike.
Just my opinion of course.

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
Hello to all esteemed members of this board. I'm from Bangkok, Thailand. I do not yet own a SuperSport, but Ducati has been my dream bike for 50 years. I personally dig the desmodromic valve in particular. By joining this forum, I hope that you would kindly lead and convince me that the SuperSport will complement my Street Triple RS. I ride on short tracks (650-1,500 metres) exclusively. It so much safer. I dare not ride on streets and highway in Thailand. It's too dangerous.
Ride one. Then you’ll know!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well in that case, the SS is just the bike you've been looking for. Still, I recommend taking a test ride, if possible. If not possible, and with what you've described, I think this bike will fit your needs nicely. Keep us posted on your decision.

And, you keep on riding. 72 is only a number!! Good on ya!!
I did take a test ride at a gokart track, and paid for a SuperSport S in pearl white. The bike will be delivered to this track so I may familiarize and break it in.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
As I said on the other thread, please get us some pics upon delivery of your bike. How do you get the track to yourself? Do you rent the whole thing out?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I didn't ride on the streets and roads, I'd buy a track bike not a road bike. Something lighter and quicker with suspension more suited to track only. For the price of a supersport you'd get a great track bike.
Just my opinion of course.
I do have a Honda CBR 3000R that is suspension tuned for the track that I ride, together with racing rubbers. My Triumph Street Triple 765RS is quicker, stock. The SuperSport S should be OK, once I'm accustomed to its weight. I'm not out racing, but just to have good times. BTW BMW S 1000RR, Honda CBR 1000RR and Suzuki GSX R 1000 don't run away from my CBR 300 and ST 765RS easily, unless the rider is a good rider. I'm an old timer who doesn't scrape his knees around apex. Just do some lean in, knees tugged to the tank, and move my butt, head and torso into corner.:grin2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I said on the other thread, please get us some pics upon delivery of your bike. How do you get the track to yourself? Do you rent the whole thing out?
I've my bikes garaged ( locked secure) at the track for free, and pay about $15 for a half day ride. All I've got to do is drive my car to the track with riding gear and a stocked cooler. I am unemployed >:), so I go early work day mornings, and most of the time, alone on the track.
When I rode tested the SuperSport, Ducati Thailand rented the track to thank their customers, and they allowed me to use the track alone, exclusiely. Track staff took the pictures. Ducati Thailand treat their customers like king. Ducatista. 0:)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've my bikes garaged ( locked secure) at the track for free, and pay about $15 for a half day ride. All I've got to do is drive my car to the track with riding gear and a stocked cooler. I am unemployed >:), so I go early work day mornings, and most of the time, alone on the track.
When I rode tested the SuperSport, Ducati Thailand rented the track to thank their customers, and they allowed me to use the track alone, exclusiely. Track staff took the pictures. Ducati Thailand treat their customers like king. Ducatista. 0:)
Wow you are the King

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bangkok here I come!!!:laugh:
Should you go to Bangkok, please give me a prior advice. I can pick you up, take you to the track, and you can ride my CBR 300R. I'll drive you back to your place, all hopitality from a Thai.:grin2:

·
Administrator
8,506 Posts
Cool, poss to post a few pics?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here you go. The only one taken

1 - 20 of 20 Posts