Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
has anyone just removed the cat? I have a performance shop by me that's willing to fab up a titanium exhaust. I was thinking of just disconnecting the cat right at the slip joint and then having them do an exhaust from there back. thoughts? If i did this i know i'd have to get it re-tuned yea?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would like to see what is inside the box. The box is not the cat, the cat is inside somewhere.
I removed the whole box on my BMW R1100S as the cat was in there and just replaced it with pipes, no need change anything else as the FI seemed happy and it gave better economy and more mid range. Some idiot will be along soon to tell you that you have to get it altered afterwards or you will lose out on 0.9 of a bhp, but who cares, mine went very well for years after the cat removal.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
I suspect that the cat on the Supersport, like the MTS, is also the silencer. The end pipe has next to no silencing and with the cat by-passed will be helluva LOUD! Whether you can live with that will be up to you but the police might take a different view. Like the other Ducatis there will be aftermarket exhausts that by-pass the cat sooner or later. Most of them will probably incorporate some degree of silencing, possibly a removable baffle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think I'm going to disconnect it, and see how loud it is. I guess my other worry would be if the check engine light will come on. Me being OCD, it would drive me crazy if the CEL light is on due to me removing it.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I'm not opposed to it entirely, I would just like for it be smaller and maybe with a little more rounded corners.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I'm going to disconnect it, and see how loud it is. I guess my other worry would be if the check engine light will come on. Me being OCD, it would drive me crazy if the CEL light is on due to me removing it.
How can you disconnect the cat? You would have to remove the whole exhaust box under the engine and run open pipes!
You might be talking about the butterfly valve and not the cat. I have mine disconnected and the lump of a motor that opens and closes it removed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How can you disconnect the cat? You would have to remove the whole exhaust box under the engine and run open pipes!
You might be talking about the butterfly valve and not the cat. I have mine disconnected and the lump of a motor that opens and closes it removed.
Wouldn't i be able to disconnect at the slip joint and then have piping fabricated from there back?

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wouldn't i be able to disconnect at the slip joint and then have piping fabricated from there back?
Yes, but there is also the joint from the rear cylinder that goes into that box too. I would imagine that someone will eventually come out with a 2 pipes in and two pipes out box that will replace the present box under the engine.
Without seeing what is inside the box besides the cat and the butterfly valve, we don't know how much of a silencer is inside there.
My idea would be to cut open that box and remove just the cat from inside and weld it back together, it might make the bike too noisy but I am not going do it unless I can get a spare standard exhaust box.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah yes, i forgot about the cylinder pipe... I guess in theory, i could have the shop fab up an entire exhaust system. It would still be less than Akro is.

What are your thoughts on the CEL coming on if i remove the box completely? I would assume it will throw a CEL but in all honesty, i have not dealt with bikes as much as i have with cars.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
has anyone just removed the cat? I have a performance shop by me that's willing to fab up a titanium exhaust. I was thinking of just disconnecting the cat right at the slip joint and then having them do an exhaust from there back. thoughts? If i did this i know i'd have to get it re-tuned yea?
Thats where the akra race connects, the horizontal cylinders pipe stays on the bike with the akra race. Yes you can do it. Problem is though, and I mean this, the ducati upmap key / dongle is required to disable the butterfly valve motor. I tried the installation without upmapping the fuel maps but they couldn't disable the valve without doing the maps. The dongle is programmed to execute a number of commands. You may be able to get the upmap key online for $200 or so. It can only be done in line with the tekla system which ducati use as their DDS.

Make friends with a techie at your dealer, and slip your bike in somehow after the new exhaust is on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The exhaust butterfly valve motor is very easily and cheaply disabled and removed, I have done this on my bike and it runs fine with no error codes.
is it any louder? i feel like the stock exhaust is just way too quiet. im trying to get some more sound out of it until i either have a full exhaust built, or someone comes out with something that replaces the entire box under the engine... I'm thinking that this winter I'll have a full exhaust system fab'd up if nothing comes out. I guess I'll just have to find a place that can re-map things after that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your ears are going to melt off if you remove that cat Its also the silencer. Thats why slipons dont change the sound at all.

I'm sure it will be loud, but i don't mind loud at all.. my car does 131.8db. Bikes in my area do not get pulled over for a loud exhaust..

I know slipons make minimal difference, but do you have more facts about the cat being the silencer? In theory it makes sense, seeing that any sort of cat is usually a silencer, but i doubt that's the ONLY thing silencing the exhaust on this bike.

·
Registered
516 Posts
How do you know that? Have you seen a cut open exhaust box? Please tell us where this information comes from.
You think a butterfly valve is doing it? :D Maybe further up before the cat then, Fred? Have you noticed all the packing in the pipe after the cat, Fred? None? I wonder where the sound is being damped down from, deductively thinking without having a book to show you exactly Fred, its what we have got.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I'm sure it will be loud, but i don't mind loud at all.. my car does 131.8db. Bikes in my area do not get pulled over for a loud exhaust..

I know slipons make minimal difference, but do you have more facts about the cat being the silencer? In theory it makes sense, seeing that any sort of cat is usually a silencer, but i doubt that's the ONLY thing silencing the exhaust on this bike.
Holy sh!t 132db's
I bet you are popular with the neighbourhood never mind the neighbours. Where do you live, need to be sure I don't buy a house there.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Where else would it be damped down? The valve is emissions, there isnt any glass packing in the short pipe, and there is nothing prior to the cat that could do it, right?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts