1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
It's on my to-do list, but not yet taken the plunge. I don't think anyone else has either. I remember a discussion earlier on, but I don't think anything became of it. Go ahead...you'll be the first and pave the way for others, like me. :grin2:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have one in mine. It is 600 grams as opposed to 3.5 kilos. It is not a specific SS 939 battery as there is no such thing.
I cannot feel any difference in the bike with the 3 kilos weight saving.
I have no problems with charging or starting but why should I, the same generator is on the bike, and the battery is still a battery.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I have one in mine. It is 600 grams as opposed to 3.5 kilos. It is not a specific SS 939 battery as there is no such thing.
I cannot feel any difference in the bike with the 3 kilos weight saving.
I have no problems with charging or starting but why should I, the same generator is on the bike, and the battery is still a battery.
You really can't tell any difference with the weight savings? Pitty. I have no use for one, then. :frown2:

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
You really can't tell any difference with the weight savings? Pitty. I have no use for one, then. :frown2:
Well it technically does make a difference. Fred has said is that he has not noticed a difference. I think no one would really notice the difference while just riding around. I will at some stage change mine over and probably look for weight savings wherever I can find it(cost permitting) Battery, Exhaust / CAT removal, rear pegs. what's that equate to ? about 30kg. Now that's got to start making a noticeable difference.:grin2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I 've keeped a lithium battery shorai from my previous vfr800 2014.
I 'be planned to fit it but not yet done.

I have not unfitted fairing and see how to fit this shorai battery which is smaller and delivery with spacers .

Attachments

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well it technically does make a difference. Fred has said is that he has not noticed a difference. I think no one would really notice the difference while just riding around. I will at some stage change mine over and probably look for weight savings wherever I can find it(cost permitting) Battery, Exhaust / CAT removal, rear pegs. what's that equate to ? about 30kg. Now that's got to start making a noticeable difference.:grin2:
If you think that you will be able to feel 3 kgs, then ride the bike, stop and fill her up with 4 litres of fuel and then see if you can feel any difference, I can't, but I don't profess to be a super race rider!
Now 30 kgs would be big, the SS would be lighter than my 848 SBK was. Let me see, 3 kgs on the battery, about 1/2 a kg on the rear footrests and I doubt that you would lose more than 5 kgs on the cat, that is 8 1/2 kgs. About the same as 10 litres of fuel.
A better way to save these small amounts of weight is to never fill the tank to more than half full (4 kgs saved), empty keys and change out of pockets (0.2 kgs) Go on a diet, (5 kgs) and then you will have more acceleration.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If you think that you will be able to feel 3 kgs, then ride the bike, stop and fill her up with 4 litres of fuel and then see if you can feel any difference, I can't, but I don't profess to be a super race rider!
Now 30 kgs would be big, the SS would be lighter than my 848 SBK was. Let me see, 3 kgs on the battery, about 1/2 a kg on the rear footrests and I doubt that you would lose more than 5 kgs on the cat, that is 8 1/2 kgs. About the same as 10 litres of fuel.
A better way to save these small amounts of weight is to never fill the tank to more than half full (4 kgs saved), empty keys and change out of pockets (0.2 kgs) Go on a diet, (5 kgs) and then you will have more acceleration.
Fred, I agree you wouldn't be able to feel the difference in just a battery change, but I can tell you from personal experience that weight reduction pays big dividends if you are serious about it. I took 50 lbs out of my '99 SS and could sense that immediately. It was most noticeable at track days, but it also meant that the bike was more forgiving on the street - that corner you entered too hot you could more easily recover. The only problem is that it cost me some $10k to accomplish, but I liked the result so much I kept the bike for 15 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Yeah probably the easiest way to drop the weight for most of us would be Personal weight loss +, riding gear, etc anyway I'm happy with the power delivery with my current load

·
Registered
4,438 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well, i guess i should get to work. I have a li battery in my motard, which is sitting due to electrical issues that i dont have the time, inclination, or money to solve at the moment. I have a radar detector that i just mounted on the ss, and a smart cord to go with it that needs to be connected to the battery. I wonder what my next move should be?

Fredinfrance, only a 600 gram battery, which one is it? The one i have in the hyper is less than a gel battery, but not that light.

I had a passive/aggressive roommate a long time ago that was into dirtbikes, he owned every honda air-cooled from 80 up to 400. He would always talk **** about anybody getting any new part that saved some small amount of weight, saying, you cant notice that. He never bought a new bike, im not paying that much just for plastic. He had a job, but it didnt really cover his expenses. he drove around in an old air cooled vw bus, lived in it at various times(i have seen 5 motorcycles in that bus). i think he was a trust-funder. **** him!!! All the weight loss adds up, that's the point. You got the money? **** it, why not.

An off-topic add to my little rant . I had a roommate in college on the UVM ski team, back in 1994. He had this pair of elan skis that he got from some racer friend of his that he got from somebody he know on the world cup circuit. Fastest pair of skis he was ever on, swears by it. Story was that the world cup guy skied one run on them, said they were fuct, so, they ended up in my friends possession. He brought them in one day for a base grind. went to pick them up, guy form the shop was real embarassed, apologetic, and generous, (gave him a new pair of skis). I saw the skis when they came back, there was a 1 inch by three inch section, right under the boot, where the black base material was gone, and you could see some kind of clear epoxy and some kind of fibers, wrapped around a wood core, some kind of imperfection???? What did he do? sold the new skis and kept skiing on the faster fuct up ones, of course. just goes to show, a top level racer can notice things that us mortals have no clue of.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I have given the lithium battery considerable thought but overall there is not much in the gains versus cost. It is not only the battery cost but also the cost of a lithium charger.
This is my thoughts as well. I think I'm going to forgo this upgrade for now.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You guys are thinking old fashioned. A lithium charger is not needed as they do not lose their charge like lead acid or gel batteries.
The weights of the different batteries can be seen in this blog post. http://wp.me/p5xJlR-5w
Yea, but which one did you get? I don't want to look at the chart and figure it out, can't you just answer my question?

sorry, just being....like that.

You are right though, li batteries seem to hold the charge better, i had problems with a parasitic draw on the motard that was killing the battery, tender solved it, no probs with the li. Of course there are other issues....

I'm going to do the switch on my bikes here, very soon. i will keep everyone informed. also, my battery tender works with all batteries.

Reactions: Rhino

·
Registered
539 Posts
I picked up my new Supersport yesterday, and it came with the following lithium ion battery from Shorai.

2017 Ducati SuperSport

OEM part number is: 39540132C

LFX: LFX18A1-BS12

I had the dealer purchase and install it for me, so it was ready to go when I arrived to retrieve the new bike.

Lithiums are good for more than just weight savings. Unlike traditional lead acid batteries, they charge evenly across all cells. They hold a charge longer (when you're not riding). They crank faster. And there's the convenience of charging using one port instead of two terminals.

I thought this one-port attribute might be especially useful to make trickle-charging easier with the Supersport because the battery is mounted down low and behind the fairing. I just picked up the bike yesterday but want to investigate keeping a charge cable attached to the port and hidden away behind the fairing for easy connection to the charger (I also have a Shorai charger). They are great products. Due to the battery's location, I think a lithium's advantages are well-suited to this bike.

The voltage, according to the instrument readout, is within Ducati specs listed in the manual. And it starts perfectly. It's my fourth lithium, and I've never had a problem with them.

The only caution is that some Ducati dealers may not honor the warranty if they think an issue might be voltage related. But my dealer said they have "zero issues" with my using a lithium battery, and it would not affect any warrant work from them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yea, but which one did you get? I don't want to look at the chart and figure it out, can't you just answer my question?

sorry, just being....like that.

You are right though, li batteries seem to hold the charge better, i had problems with a parasitic draw on the motard that was killing the battery, tender solved it, no probs with the li. Of course there are other issues....

I'm going to do the switch on my bikes here, very soon. i will keep everyone informed. also, my battery tender works with all batteries.
Just click on the blog post link and you will see the lithium battery complete with the manufacturers name and model number in the pictures. If you do that then it saves me doing that to see which one it is!

I never said that they never lose their charge, did someone say that? They do not lose their charge as quickly as a conventional battery.
The only reason that they need a different charger is that they don't like the desulfate mode of most chargers like optimate. But you can use a standard 12 phone charger type thing with no problems. You charge the lithium battery in phones, tablets and laptops everyday with them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts