Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, just picked up an almost two inch nail in my brand new rear Rosso III. Ugh.

Although the nail is long, it is a small diameter, so I used the Dynaplug. No leaks so far.

·
Registered
375 Posts
That sucks... I lost a fairly new tire to a screw in the Spring as well but never considered a plug. I’m curious to see how well it works. Keep us updated!

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@brucemswan Yeah, was not happy. Hole is pretty close to center of tire, and not in the sipe of the tire. It passed the bubble test when I fixed it. So I’m hoping it holds when riding. If it holds well, I’m not planning on replacing the tire, or slowing down. Will post a pic of the repair later.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've had good luck with the Stop and Go plug kit and a Slime air compressor.

I recommend that if you travel, carry one in your tank bag with a small portable air compressor. Make sure you have the receiver plug prewired to your battery. As Carl Malden said, "Don't leave home without it."

Lots to google here if you don't know the various references. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rode the tire pretty hard through a 45 mile back road loop. Aggressive multiple accelerations to around 110 mph, high speed sweeps, and variety of twisties and road conditions. Checked when back, no bubbles, no leaks. Will keep an eye on it, but looking pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After plugging, before trimming. Let set overnight.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
You might want to slow your rebound damping 1 click there @Ed K - you seem to be wearing the leading edge of the sipe in the photographs...

Reactions: Ed K

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might want to slow your rebound damping 1 click there @Ed K - you seem to be wearing the leading edge of the sipe in the photographs...
Thank you, my friend.

Even though I’m quite a lighter-than-average rider, I do push the envelope with each ride, and it’s also on imperfect back roads. It’s where the SS really excels; and IMO, was what is was primarily designed for...good, but imperfect back roads. One click more might just be perfect. Nearly is now for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've been plugging motorcycle tires with regular plugs from the auto store since I started riding in 2006. Never had a problem, and this is with road trips, daily commutes, track days (I ride at a novice's pace). A plug has only not worked once in all these years, and the hole in that tire was way too big for any plug to work permanently. It held just enough for me to make the 2 mile trip home. Another case was a friend who did not cut the plug after installing it and it stuck to the ground and came right out. He replugged, cut, and it stuck.

Also, over the years, I've scoured the internet to find a plug that failed catastrophically and didn't find one story across countless message boards that showed a direct correlation to the plug. The only thread I found showed the rubber had come apart from the carcass but on the side opposite the plug. Could air have seeped between the plies due to the plug? Maybe, maybe not. That 1 case isn't enough to deter me from plugging, however.

Other than that, all I've found is people voicing their concerns but no actual experiences. On the contrary, I do have experience getting 10k+ miles out of plugged front tires. Call me lucky if you want, but as far as I'm concerned, it works.

*To be safe, I do check the plug thoroughly for leaks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Interesting, never used one but makes sense to have one on hand in a pinch. DynaPlug looks good, any other recommendations for something that takes minimal space inside a tank bag.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dynaplug is so simple to use, and works well for a long term fix, for small, clean punctures. And it’s so small in size, I am able to just barely stuff it into the OEM SS tool bag, with a couple of co2 cartridges/and hose for a potential emergency during local rides.

For long distance rides I additionally carry in my panniers a stop n go compressor, and a full, heavy duty plug kit. And lots of other tools, for that matter.

For large holes you can double up the Dynaplugs, but I would trust a double plug only to get me home or to a shop, in an emergency. The plug that comes in the kit works great, but it’s not large enough for bigger holes...use the traditional plug for the bigger holes. Even those of course can’t be too big, not on the side of the tire, and definitely not a tear.

As UB mentions, I’ll monitor the plug. Just as I keep an eye on everything else on the bike pre and post rides, including tire pressure, will add a quick check of plug to my checklist. If anything looks askew, won’t risk it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I plugged mine recently. First time, I trimmed soon after install and plug slowly disappeared into tire. Second time, it worked. Bought new tire and had patch placed inside old tire for spare.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Retitled thread, for long term monitoring/review of the Dynaplug repair.

I ride year round so the plug will be exposed to freezing temps as low at 20F up to upper 90F, if it lasts that long. :)

Also, I never abuse my bike, but I always ride it to its full potential every ride. That includes full-on cornering, acceleration and triple digit speeds with each ride in backroad areas that are safe to do that.

Will provide periodic pics and commentary.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've had good luck with Stop And Go plug kit. I've run tires that had the tread chunk off but the plug never leaked. Perhaps I damaged that tire running it 80 mph with no air for 40miles? Don't know.

A year later I got stuck in Eastern Okla (Bigfoot Country) when I saw big sections of cord. That bike was handling squirrelly since the day before. The EV and my buddy's GS were traveling 90mph on those mountain roads just before we stopped for breakfast. I had a sick feeling when I saw the rear tire. Luckily my buddy called his son who drove the 130 miles and trailered me back home.

But the plug never leaked. But truly stupid none the less.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Post ride inspection of the dynaplug. About 150 cumulative miles since the dynaplug was used to fix a nail hole in this tire. Today’s ambient temp about 75F during ride. Plug passed inspection.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts