Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I've owned a fair amount of Ducatis in my life (still do, of course) and I'm thinking of getting the new SuperSport to do some sport touring. I don't have a time frame for the purchase and will probably take my time and read a lot. I know that there are still some bugs being worked out (heat shields, etc.) and supply is not super high at the moment. So in the meantime, I am excited just to be here and read a lot and learn as much as I can about this awesome bike you guys all have.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've owned a fair amount of Ducatis in my life (still do, of course) and I'm thinking of getting the new SuperSport to do some sport touring. I don't have a time frame for the purchase and will probably take my time and read a lot. I know that there are still some bugs being worked out (heat shields, etc.) and supply is not super high at the moment. So in the meantime, I am excited just to be here and read a lot and learn as much as I can about this awesome bike you guys all have.
Welcome! Are you currently riding something now? What kind of sport touring do you have in mind? I love how comfortable the egos on this bike are, but it definitely leans towards the sport side. And while the factory luggage is visually appealing, i've read from members here that it may not be the ideal solution for hardcore sports touring. I think the lack of locks was one of the complaints.

·
Administrator
8,507 Posts
Welcome Sherpa!

Lots of knowledgeable friends here if there’s anything on your mind about the SS.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to browse and read up. Ask questions and comment all you like. Look forward to your contributions and knowledge of Ducatis.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the nice welcome. I look forward to learning a lot and reading of all of your adventures.

Welcome! Are you currently riding something now? What kind of sport touring do you have in mind? I love how comfortable the egos on this bike are, but it definitely leans towards the sport side. And while the factory luggage is visually appealing, i've read from members here that it may not be the ideal solution for hardcore sports touring. I think the lack of locks was one of the complaints.
Great post. Well, first to answer your question, yes I have some bikes I ride now but they're all Ducati Superbikes. I have a 916 SPS, 999R Xerox, 1098R, and 1199 Superleggera. They're all amazing but none are suited for sport touring which brings me to your second question: what kind of sport touring? I live in Colorado so I would like to do some trips around the state (maybe into some of the nearby states) that are several days long but probably nothing longer than a week at most. Luggage is a must and the factory luggage is one of the reasons why I'm drawn to the SS besides the fact that I would ride the SS lots of other times and not just for trips. If I had a multi or something, I would never ride it other than the occasional road trip. Clearly, I have to do more reading up on the luggage and luggage options.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Thank you all for the nice welcome. I look forward to learning a lot and reading of all of your adventures.

Great post. Well, first to answer your question, yes I have some bikes I ride now but they're all Ducati Superbikes. I have a 916 SPS, 999R Xerox, 1098R, and 1199 Superleggera. They're all amazing but none are suited for sport touring which brings me to your second question: what kind of sport touring? I live in Colorado so I would like to do some trips around the state (maybe into some of the nearby states) that are several days long but probably nothing longer than a week at most. Luggage is a must and the factory luggage is one of the reasons why I'm drawn to the SS besides the fact that I would ride the SS lots of other times and not just for trips. If I had a multi or something, I would never ride it other than the occasional road trip. Clearly, I have to do more reading up on the luggage and luggage options.

Thank you all again.
Wow You Lucky Lucky ******* that's some sweet bikes. The OEM Panniers are fine and look pretty good. The issue is Value for money. it is agreed here that they are not good value for money, but if I wanted to set my bike up for touring with the current available equipment I would get the panniers, a tank bag and tail bag which would give me all the space I need for a 2 week tour including tent, sleeping bag and mattress/pillow. the only thing to be aware of is that if you go for a tail tidy your probably going to hide your numberplate and the indicators that attach to it, so a motodinamic integrated tail light would be needed. I have a 3.500k tour planned in the future and am hoping a aftermarket set of panniers come out before then or I will be biting the bullet and going OEM. PS I think you will need a white one to compliment your other bikes the red is just not as fast.:grin2:

·
Registered
217 Posts
G’Day Sherpa23,
I’m truely envious of your Ducati collection. The SS is my first Ducati after drooling over them for the last 30 or so years...

Go the Av’s

Reactions: tea2jay

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome from Germany. Nice motor pool :)

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,726 Posts
I too bought the SS to use as a sports tourer. Selling my MTS1200 to do so and for me it is a far better bike.
Yes, the OEM panniers are poor value for money but I bought them anyway because at the time I ordered the bike there were no alternatives and if the panniers hadn't been an option I may have been less inclined to buy the bike. I managed to survive with them for 14 days travelling in Europe through the Netherlands, Belgium. Luxembourg and Germany, including 4 nights camping at the Belgian Classic TT in Gedinne. I supplemented the panniers with a Kriega US20 bag on the passenger seat and a tent strapped alongside it.
Oh, and I opted for the base model rather than the "S" as I could spend the difference on useful things like the panniers and heated grips and I definitely don't need a quick-shifter.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice collection you have (post some pics if you can).
I think the SS will do touring very well, I know you could tour on any bike but not necessarily in comfort. I'm 57 with a bad back but find the SS comfortable, I love sports bikes but can't ride them anymore but find the SS a good compromise. I'm 5'8" and the ergonomics are perfect for me and the seat is very comfortable.
You may find the SS a little down on power after your other bikes but this bike handles so well you can still have a lot of fun when the mood takes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks, guys. The luggage value for money definitely hits home for me. I looked up the prices last night. "Exorbitant" doesn't even come close. However, given that I haven't purchased the bike yet, I can always try to negotiate the luggage (and heated grips) into the price of the bike and hopefully end up where a normal set of luggage would be. Also, I am debating between the base and the S. I love Ohlins suspension but wondering if I really need it. Then again, I know that if I have the chance at a good deal on an S and don't take it, I might regret it. As I said though, I'm probably going to wait for a while. I want to see how Ducati works out the kinks in the bike and also, wait until my dealers have a couple that they need to sell.

As far as the requests about my other bikes, I'm not great at posting pics on forums. I'm also not great with taking pics. Let me see what I have on the phone. I know that I have some good pics that were taken by other people as well. Each of my bikes have a story, which I guess is part of what makes me attached to them.

And let's be completely honest here: when you say "It's not everyday we meet someone with $100K in rolling, two wheel stock" that's because no one here is as dumb as I am to spend that much money on motorcycles.

The 916 SPS pics were taken by my friend Matt in Michigan who picked up the bike for me from Chicago where it was hidden away in a storage locker for 17 years unknown to Ducati, along with some other special bikes. It's a long story that I can get into later if people care but Matt took the 916 pics.

The 999R pics were taken by the previous owner, a really talented motorcycle enthusiast and photographer in Idaho. He has a blog that people know. I only recently bought it so I can't answer a lot of questions about it as I haven't had any time with it yet.

These are crappy 1098R pictures I took with my phone. And same with the 1199 Superleggera. I should probably have a real photographer take pics of these because they're amazing bikes in every respect.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I see you have another big red machine in your garage. Very nice, also!! Ya know, I'm out your way from time to time. I can help keep those machines exercised for ya...just offering. Ya know, just helpn' a man in need...>:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see you have another big red machine in your garage. Very nice, also!! Ya know, I'm out your way from time to time. I can help keep those machines exercised for ya...just offering. Ya know, just helpn' a man in need...>:)
Thanks. Feel free to hit me up when you’re out this way. I always like meeting other people who appreciate great machinery.

And, er, um, yes. I have a “problem” with those those other machines, too. Once you’re bitten by the bug...

Reactions: se7en

·
Registered
114 Posts
"And let's be completely honest here: when you say "It's not everyday we meet someone with $100K in rolling, two wheel stock" that's because no one here is as dumb as I am to spend that much money on motorcycles."

The SuperSport and the M1200r were in the shop.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"And let's be completely honest here: when you say "It's not everyday we meet someone with $100K in rolling, two wheel stock" that's because no one here is as dumb as I am to spend that much money on motorcycles."

The SuperSport and the M1200r were in the shop.

I might have finally found the right asylum. :)

Thank you for posting. AWESOME bikes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I might have finally found the right asylum. :)

Thank you for posting. AWESOME bikes.

A few Sundays ago I had just gotten the 1098R back from its 7500 miles service so took it out on a stretch of road that I know isn't patrolled. I opened it up in fourth then fifth and when I looked down and saw three numbers on the speedo I backed off. I wonder what it would have topped out at. The thing I recall is that there wasn't a huge sensation of speed.

Pjk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A few Sundays ago I had just gotten the 1098R back from its 7500 miles service so took it out on a stretch of road that I know isn't patrolled. I opened it up in fourth then fifth and when I looked down and saw three numbers on the speedo I backed off. I wonder what it would have topped out at. The thing I recall is that there wasn't a huge sensation of speed.

Pjk

I have ridden a lot of bikes and the only bike I've ridden that has a higher sensation of the speed is my Superleggera. And even that is not by much. I don't think that anyone understands what an incredible piece of kit the 1098R is. Truly magnificent and way ahead of its time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That 999R ..mmm

Reactions: Sherpa23
1 - 20 of 28 Posts