Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated....
Dear SuperSport Devotees, I know there have been a number of posts on luggage options, particularly "luggage solutions?", "top box options" and "finally found a luggage solution for me".

However, I am after luggage racks specifically. I know that there are a range of other luggage options, like tank and tail bags, but like @kokla55, I was after something that can leave room for a pillion to ride with me. Of course there are the Ducati panniers, and while I thought I would get these, after looking around at them over the last year, it turns out I am not a fan of them, particularly with the frames that are left behind when they are off.

So far I have been considering the the Ventura rack, with either a Ventura Top Box or a Coocase Top Box (the latter of these can offer an alarm as well as key locks).
Ventura Rack System - Review
Ventura Astro 32L
Coocase Wizard V36

So, I was hoping to get some help from you good people with two things. Firstly, have I missed a manufacturer who does these racks? I went looking at Givi, but couldn't find a SuperSport option. Does the Monster 821 or 1200 Givi stuff fit?

Secondly, I would love to see, thus the "Looking" in the title, what a number of the luggage racks look like when the luggage is off, and in particular, I would love to see some shots from the rear (looking forward along the bike) and from above - not many of these images are shown on line. I know there are some good shots from the side, including @kokla55 work in "finally found a luggage solution for me", but I am looking for these other angles as well.

Update: After looking online for many hours, I decided that I had probably covered the field, and went ahead and ordered a Ventura rack with a Coocase top box. So there's no longer the need for the photos. Thanks @Muzzlightbeer for you offer, but the pressure is off now. I would still be pleased to see any photos you have or take, but don't go to any special effort on my part. I will add some pics once I have installed the kit.

Thanks
Rodney (Rodders_SS937)

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Ventura Evo is about as ‘streamlined’ as you’re going to get. Mine is off at the moment. When I go over to the shed I’ll put it on and take some photos.

One thing though, which may be irrelevant to you anyway, you can’t put it on ‘backwards if you have the pillion seat cowl fitted.

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Ventura Evo is about as ‘streamlined’ as you’re going to get. Mine is off at the moment. When I go over to the shed I’ll put it on and take some photos.

One thing though, which may be irrelevant to you anyway, you can’t put it on ‘backwards if you have the pillion seat cowl fitted.
Thanks @Muzzlightbeer. I don't mind if it isn't so streamlined when I've got in on and I am going two up. For general running around or for a solo ride, I intend to leave it off. If I go for this kind of option, I am tending towards the Coocase with red cover and smoked reflectors, which I hope will play off of the red wheels and smoked windscreen. Still, I am not 100% on the Ventura rack set-up which this top box sits on.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I must have got the last red lid from the Australian supplier Kenma, as they don't have a link to it. Here are some promotional images, though you need to use the imagination because I went for the Coocase with red cover and smoked lens. Though it comes with the silver standard.

Automotive parking light Hood Light Product Automotive tire

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Ventura rack is good to go. You won’t regret. I use a dry bag as it fits just as much as a ugly top case but smaller.

Use red locktite when installing the ventura rack.

View attachment 44377
Thanks for the pic and the advice. Nice job getting the rack painted. That thought had crossed my mind too. It looks good on your bike. Was it expensive?

·
Registered
9 Posts
it cost about $200 and the red paint does get marked up so I will have to redo it. Still worth it as it matched the trellis frame and wheels so nicely.

and I liked saying my bike has a nice, expensive rack.

Thanks for the pic and the advice. Nice job getting the rack painted. That thought had crossed my mind too. It looks good on your bike. Was it expensive?

·
Registered
SuperSport 939 MY19
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The neat thing about this set up is you can tinker with the arrangement. I tested it with my wife, and I have included some comparison pics.

This first pair (top row) is a comparison of how I had it set up in the rearward position. Notice there she is touching the top box, and hugging me tight. A snug and intimate position, but perhaps just a bit too snug for more than a quick ride. However, after reconfiguring it I found I could move it rearwards another 3-4cm (1.5”) see the second row images. There you can see daylight between my wife and the top box, and we both have room to breathe. The last row shows the two setups from the perspective of the mounting. Left bottom relates to the first too snug position.
Jeans Shoe Leg White Motor vehicle

The next comparison pic shows four different configurations, each of which moves the rack further rearwards, viewed in order Bottom Left, Top Left, Bottom Right, Top Right.
Note: The changes in the configuration varies from where the plastic base plate attaches to the adjustable rack arms. For instance in the Top Left they are positioned as far back on the bar, which means this base place is further forward. In the Top Right, the plastic base plate is attached to the adjustable rack arms as far forward as possible, which in turn sends the plate and the top box rearwards. Also the Bottom Left shows the rack arms swung forward of the L bracket frame, where as the Top Right shows the rack arms swung rearward. Between these two features, you can considerably shift the position and thus the overhang of the top box.
White Green Light Product Black

The last pic is the side on view in the most rearward of these four positions.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Looks great in the Titanium Grey. The seat helps accentuate the colouring.

• Love
Reactions: RODDERS_SS937
1 - 11 of 11 Posts