Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Bought my SS last month and love it. However, there is a loud noise each time I hit 3k rpm or over. Took it to dealer already and he gave me all sorts of excuses that it's usual noise etc which I find hard to believe.

When I did test ride I didn't notice this noise at all. Planning to book another test ride but hoping to get feedback from you all first.

https://www.ducatisupersport939.net...es-problems-complaints/13138-loud-rattle.html

Already checked ^^ thread but I had new tail tidy fitted so number plate is not my issue.

Please help/advise.

·
Registered
923 Posts
It's not something I recall anyone here talking about, so we need to go to a triage step.

Can you replicate it with the bike in neutral on the sidestand? Can you take/post a video?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Does it sound plastic or metallic ? is it engine related ? does it get louder as you go quicker or fade away as you get quicker. where do you suspect it may be coming from. A little info needed and we will find it together, we have all been there at some time or another. between us all we have had this bike striped down to little bits.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a similar issue on mine, but it gets noticeable above 4000 rpm, rather than 3000. For me, it sounds like it’s coming from the lower part of the front of the fairing and the sound is constant once it appears, that is, it doesn’t rise with engine rpm. I only really notice the sound when riding in city traffic without ear plugs, it’s difficult to provoke the issue just from blipping the throttle in neutral.

Suggestions I had in the thread I started was loose fairing screws (nope) or some other thing that was loose, touching the fairing (possibly):
https://www.ducatisupersport939.net...aints/15964-plastic-rattle-front-fairing.html

I’ve not yet found the issue, still winter here, but when I had one of the fairing halves off to install a battery tender cable, I noticed one of the rubber spacers that sit between cooler and edge of fairing fell out. Possibly it was loose and may have been contributed but road conditions here doesn’t allow a test ride atm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not something I recall anyone here talking about, so we need to go to a triage step.

Can you replicate it with the bike in neutral on the sidestand? Can you take/post a video?
Yes even when stationary if I rave it starts making this sound around 3k rpm. I will make a video soon and post here, thanks.

Does it sound plastic or metallic ? is it engine related ? does it get louder as you go quicker or fade away as you get quicker. where do you suspect it may be coming from. A little info needed and we will find it together, we have all been there at some time or another. between us all we have had this bike striped down to little bits.
Rhino mate I have no clue about the origin of this sound. All I know it comes from front but bike is fairly new so I doubt any loose fairing or bolts etc. Lets see if u can pick something from the video which I will upload later.

I have a similar issue on mine, but it gets noticeable above 4000 rpm, rather than 3000. For me, it sounds like it’s coming from the lower part of the front of the fairing and the sound is constant once it appears, that is, it doesn’t rise with engine rpm. I only really notice the sound when riding in city traffic without ear plugs, it’s difficult to provoke the issue just from blipping the throttle in neutral.

Suggestions I had in the thread I started was loose fairing screws (nope) or some other thing that was loose, touching the fairing (possibly):
https://www.ducatisupersport939.net...aints/15964-plastic-rattle-front-fairing.html

I’ve not yet found the issue, still winter here, but when I had one of the fairing halves off to install a battery tender cable, I noticed one of the rubber spacers that sit between cooler and edge of fairing fell out. Possibly it was loose and may have been contributed but road conditions here doesn’t allow a test ride atm.
Lets see if we can fix it together here. it started snowing in London today so not expecting to ride for a while either

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Ah so its probably not any fairing or attachment as you can replicate it while on the kick stand. we had a few like this early on where it sounded like it came from the engine but they all seemed to go away after a few weeks run in ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Apologies for reviving this really old thread, but it seems to perfectly describe what I am hearing on my 950s, too.

kush doesn't appear to be active on this forum anymore, but I do have this unlisted video on YouTube where you might be able to hear the rattling? If not, I have more footage where it's more obvious. It's most noticeable just around 3000 rpm, especially in 3rd gear when the servo valve closes so the quieter engine sound makes the rattle more obvious then.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
@Rob950s Little hard to hear from vid, or maybe on the small speakers of my mobile device if it’s not ordinary burble with low rpm throttle release, but…

Have you checked the exhaust flap valve? If it completely fails the bike will through an error on the dash, but it might be getting hung up a bit and need cleaning and a shot of silicone spray.

There’s three screws that secure a small plate cover for the flap valve. Be careful taking the screws out, they strip easily. Once cover is off, you can easily check if cable and valve are able to move freely to open and close properly.

Other possibility is something is loose inside of fairings. Might take the fairing off and inspect for something loose.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
@Rob950s ...There’s three screws that secure a small plate cover for the flap valve. Be careful taking the screws out, they strip easily. ...
Ducati fasteners are notoriously soft. Clean all the gunk out of the head socket before you use an Allen key, and try to avoid using the ball end of the socket, at least until the screw is turning freely. I have a 1/4 drive socket set with hex bits and like to give them a tap with a hammer to make sure they are properly seated before applying torque.

·
Administrator
9,607 Posts
@Rob950s I see from your intro thread it appears the bike is new, going for first service. Most likely not exhaust flap if new. As mentioned above a bit hard for me to heard on my mobile device, but could very well be just deceleration gurgle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Apologies for reviving this really old thread, but it seems to perfectly describe what I am hearing on my 950s, too.

kush doesn't appear to be active on this forum anymore, but I do have this unlisted video on YouTube where you might be able to hear the rattling? If not, I have more footage where it's more obvious. It's most noticeable just around 3000 rpm, especially in 3rd gear when the servo valve closes so the quieter engine sound makes the rattle more obvious then.
I found what the issue was on my 939. I sold the bike last year but as far as I recall it was the bracket arm which holds the servo motor for the exhaust valve which was rattling. It has a rubber grommet where the arm attaches to the frame in there but the grommet didnt fit correctly so the whole bracket with servo motor was hanging slightly loose in the mount on the bike and all was vibrating above certain engine speeds. I fitted some extra rubber spacers inbetween the bracket arm and the mounting point which fixed the issue. Drove me nuts until I found it. Not sure if that's the issue you're having but could be worth a look at least. The bracket was noticeably loose when I grabbed the servo motor.

I'm taking delivery of a new 950s tomorrow, hopefully this issue isn't there on the new one!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dino can you provide a pic or sketch pointing to where the mout point is . That you are referencing. Unless this this is simple enough to figure out once I take a look. Ive been having a rattling sound at the front area for years and it seems to be louder on colder days for me. Imcould never figure out where it was comming from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removed the fairing on the right bottom and didn't see anything obvious that could be lose. The servo motor seems to be hanging in there alright on its rubber mounts, I assume that it's designed to wiggle around like this?

Here's another video, I noticed I can hear the rattle when I give it throttle in neutral on its side stand. It's much quieter like this, but I do think it's the same noise. Just gets much louder when riding.

Thanks for the responses everyone. There might be nothing wrong and this may be normal. I will mention the rattle when I get it to its first service, just in case.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
130 Posts
Mine does it too.

Doesn't bother me - I just assume its normal for the engine. It's always done it and it's got 3.5k miles on it now. Just starting to loosen up a bit. Pretty well every one I've heard does it.

My 900SS rattles as well, if that's any compensation....that might be due to the fact it's had the airbox mod so you can hear the intake noise. Don't know if that's what we're hearing here.....

I was first exposed to "Italian Rattles" when I had my original Guzzi - sounded like a couple of skeletons shagging in a biscuit tin!

I'm sure it's just part of the "character" of the L-twin motor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts