Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ducati Supersport 939
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the main harness wiring, (green arrow Pic 1) behind the display, rubbing against the windshields lever (red arrow). On my bike about half of three wires were worn away. Pic 2. I have already had Ducati reject a warranty claim, as they say my wiring (for the radar detector) was pushing against the harness. However, the detector cable was loose(ish) and if I had the radar cable pulled tight it would have actually helped by pulling the harness away. Plus, when I removed my wiring, the harness is still rubbing against the cam. Pic 3.

Has anyone had a similar issue with this? And if so, have you any photo's I could combine with my e-mail, to prove it is common. (P:S: I hear of users having electrical problems and wonder if this may be the cause?)

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,672 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check mine.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I hope for Ducati, and for all our sakes for that matter, that this is a one off since replacing harnesses can't be cheap. Next time I have my side fairings off, probably in the Spring, I'll remove the top fairing to check it. @RogerP, how many miles are on your bike?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, maybe it is a one-off. I have another picture from a facebook page where it shows some rubbing. Bit like the battery cable and front brake line that has issues with rubbing against the fairing - mine has all these issues and I am guessing mine was assembled by an apprentice - doh! I am close to 13,000miles (over 20,000 kilometers)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I’m gutted. Really thought Ducati would come to the party. There is no way the “aftermarket” wiring would have caused this issue. But. Ducati decided to use this as an excuse to decline the warranty claim. Even after explaining to them, when the “aftermarket wiring” was removed. The harness still is rubbing up against the windscreen visor lever.
So be warned people. When you wire some new airhorns or that new radar detector, make sure you get a Ducati approved mechanic to do this or wait 3 years for your warranty to finish!

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
@RogerP Sorry to hear Ducati won‘t cover it. And thanks again for your posts to make us aware of this potential issue.

Is it possible to point out that in this screen shot where the rub point is? I’m trying to see if it possible to snake a mirror in there to look instead of taking the fairing off (possible?).

Well, I’m gutted. Really thought Ducati would come to the party. There is no way the “aftermarket” wiring would have caused this issue. But. Ducati decided to use this as an excuse to decline the warranty claim. Even after explaining to them, when the “aftermarket wiring” was removed. The harness still is rubbing up against the windscreen visor lever.
So be warned people. When you wire some new airhorns or that new radar detector, make sure you get a Ducati approved mechanic to do this or wait 3 years for your warranty to finish!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@RogerP Sorry to hear Ducati won‘t cover it. And thanks again for your posts to make us aware of this potential issue.

Is it possible to point out that in this screen shot where the rub point is? I’m trying to see if it possible to snake a mirror in there to look instead of taking the fairing off (possible?).

It's just above where the 2 small cables peels of to the indicators

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,672 Posts
I poked a borescope below the dash and as far as I can see mine is fine. No sign of the loom contacting and no abrasion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts