Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So you all are probably familiar with the Hideous silver stickers Ducati plasters all over the frame of these bikes. I started to peel a few of them off for a more aesthetically pleasing look. I was at the dealership today trying to get a new seat called and the service guy told me that he couldn't find the VIN number even though I later found out it was on the frame, that it should have been on the sticker that I peeled off and he said that it could cause problems for resale down the road. I had also started pulling off spec stickers andfrom the other side of the frame. Anybody know where I can get replacement stickers from if Ducati issues those upon request especially the VIN number?

I still have a few of the stickers one of them got all tore up and I threw it out. It's just I don't know how good these will do me now that they're separated from the bike and not in very good condition
Font Rectangle Handwriting Art Wood

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know. The dealer made it sound like it was kind of serious cuz there's a lot of information on there about tuning and tire pressure and a bunch of other technical specs and stuff for the engine

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You will have no problems with the resale. The sticker isn't an identification marker, whereas a stamped metal frame at the steering head and the same on the engine is. The sticker is just for ease.

·
Registered
359 Posts
...I was at the dealership today trying to get a new seat called and the service guy told me that he couldn't find the VIN number even though I later found out it was on the frame, that it should have been on the sticker that I peeled off and he said that it could cause problems for resale down the road...
Sounds like that tech is a whiny complainer with a stick up his azz. We all know people like that!
EVERYbody takes off the hideous silver stickers; he should know that...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sounds like that tech is a whiny complainer with a stick up his azz. We all know people like that!
EVERYbody takes off the hideous silver stickers; he should know that...
I wouldn't say EVERYBODY takes them off, I still have mine on. The only time I even notice them is after someone on here makes a big deal that our bikes have the same stickers every other bike sold in the world normally comes with. Never bothered me before, doesn't bother me now. Makes it very easy to "remember" where to measure the chain slack or what the tire pressure is when you own multiple bikes.

@DucaRyder if your shop is a multi-brand dealership, I have heard of "problems" people had when removing the 4"x2" white and black VIN stickers most Japanese brands have on the side of the frame. It's not illegal as long as the VIN is stamped into the frame, but most shops are taught to look for that sticker when determining the ID of the cycle and if it's maybe stolen or not. I don't think the shop personnel are as big of buffoons as some people on here are making them out to be, in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in California, the stickers are necessary if you're buying an out of state used motorcycle. I picked up a used 50-state legal bike from Oregon, and the original owner had removed the stickers from the frame, and stuck them in the manual. DMV would not register the bike without the stickers present on the motorcycle.

They workarounds presented to me were:

Work with the CHP to use the VIN to look up, document, and certify the original information that should appear on the sticker. I contacted the office, and there was an officer assigned to that task, but the response was incredibly slow and very likely not a priority for them, as you might suspect.

Or

Just affix the stickers to the bike again for visual inspection. I cut them out of the manual (still stuck to the pages), "laminated" each of them with packing tape, and then stuck those on the fork legs with more tape. DMV happily took down the info and gave me my registration.

YMMV, but the stickers are indeed important in some cases for resale. I'll never buy an out-of-state bike without them, that's for sure.

·
Administrator
10,010 Posts
@Spoons Oh wow, interesting!

For the SuperSport the VIN number is also embossed on the frame (in addition to on the sticker). Was the VIN on the frame not sufficient for the DMV, or perhaps the bike you got from Oregon didn’t have the VIN embossed on the frame? Did DMV personnel personally inspect the bike?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
A sticker with a VIN comes nowhere near proof of identity that a VIN stamped on a headstock gives. I would never trust a sticker for the VIN.

IMO that sticker is just there for convenience as it is easier to get to and read than the number stamped on the headstock

Reactions: A8tomic and Ed K

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Spoons Oh wow, interesting!

For the SuperSport the VIN number is also embossed on the frame (in addition to on the sticker). Was the VIN on the frame not sufficient for the DMV, or perhaps the bike you got from Oregon didn’t have the VIN embossed on the frame? Did DMV personnel personally inspect the bike?
The VIN wasn't the issue (it's stamped on the frame on that bike as well), rather there is a date of manufacture on the stickers, and some language that says " this vehicle conforms to all applicable us federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect on the date of manufacture shown above" as well as a gross vehicle weight, and emissions information that was apparently the issue.

The staff at the DMV physically inspected the bike, and were the folks that told me they needed the stickers to be physically affixed. They were super apologetic, and definitely knew that this was pure red tape, but had to document on a form that this information was present (they showed me the form as well).

<Edited with more.infor below>

The California form in question is "REG 31" which must be completed by a DMV employee, and specifically calls for emissions label, federal certification label, etc as shown in the attached screen grab.
Font Parallel Number Pattern Document

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have been down this sticker road many times Its mainly a problem if you are selling a bike that was registered previously from outside California to be registered inside California. What Ca DMV is looking for on the stickers is the emissions control information and Federal compliance information on the sticker that says the bike meets California Standards They aren't looking for the VIN number perse..they want to see that the sticker says made to comply in California. Even though all Ducati's imported to the United States for the last many many years Are California Compliante and even if you get a letter from Ducati motors the stating that ( I've done it) they ( the Ca DMV )wants to see the stupid sticker or its a no go to register it in Ca..If the bike is already Registered in CA then its no problem...you can just sell it anywhere in Ca...its only a big problem if not previously plated here where they have to fill out that Vin Verification that its compliant...Without those 2 stickers..you are up **** creek selling a used bike here that wasnt registered here previously.
Been there done that MANY times

Most states don't have and issue.
I always very carefully peel mine off with a heat gun right away when the bike is new and they aren't so hard to get off and stick them on some saran wrap inside the owners manual....
But you should never need them again once registered in CA.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts