Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't agree about some of this. Particularly when comparing the "engine" on the SS to HM. I'd bet the engines are very close, the gearing and riding position being paramount.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read MCN for a long time. They have one road tester, and he's kind of a cynic. They never really rate any bike as being spectacular, except for Triumphs. (British mag, so that's not super surprising). Their "reviews" are always really short blurbs, without too much depth to them, but they tend to get cool exclusives, so I still check them once in awhile.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting the reviewer rated the SS 4 out of 5, but the owners rated it 4.8 out of 5!
Just goes to show that first impressions aren't everything. It's also annoying when people nit-pick specs to death, you cant ride a spec sheet!

Reactions: Boe

·
Registered
892 Posts
I've read MCN for a long time. They have one road tester, and he's kind of a cynic. They never really rate any bike as being spectacular, except for Triumphs. (British mag, so that's not super surprising). Their "reviews" are always really short blurbs, without too much depth to them, but they tend to get cool exclusives, so I still check them once in awhile.
Not trying to defend Michael (Neevesy) Neeves the author of this piece, but he is a respected Journo and racer and tells it how it is. I like his reviews and articles.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
again, if the bike had a 14t front sprocket, he'd probably like the "engine". Another half star.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I’m a little confused. I thought the article was pretty positive. If I were looking for our category of a bike, Neevesy’s article would have fast forwarded my decision-making.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m a little confused. I thought the article was pretty positive. If I were looking for our category of a bike, Neevesy’s article would have fast forwarded my decision-making.
You're totally right, the article was positive. I was just being negative for some reason, my bad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not trying to defend Michael (Neevesy) Neeves the author of this piece, but he is a respected Journo and racer and tells it how it is. I like his reviews and articles.
He's a hell of a rider. I do love in his video review of the Ducati Streetfighter V4, when he comes out of a turn and just lifts the front end effortlessly. I think I personally just want a more in-depth review, but his style is more blunt and succinct.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think owners are predisposed to like any bike more than an independent tester. If it wasn't the type of machine we like, we probably wouldn't have bought it.

I can't help feeling that Ducati improved the wrong things. Better looking, maybe a little. I like the fairing upper and belly pan, but can't understand why they added the flap to cover the frame. I was never uncomfortable on the 939's seat. I've never had a TFT display, but I can say that I don't have any problem seeing the info on the lcd one, and I REALLY like that signal flasher stands out. Like many of us, I made the LED headlight conversion. I've only seen the traction control light up on dirt.

I don't like the idea of loosing HP to satisfy bureaucrats, no matter how little. Worst of all: they didn't add cruise control; improve the luggage; nor apparently, fix the mirrors.

Guess I'll be sticking with the 939 for now.

·
Registered
892 Posts
and I REALLY like that signal flasher stands out.
Can you elaborate on this - I must have missed it in the reviews. What makes the signal flasher stand out?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Can you elaborate on this - I must have missed it in the reviews. What makes the signal flasher stand out?
Green led stands out when viewed against the black and grey lcd. I don't think it would stand out as much on a color TFT. It might be just me, but I forget to cancel my turn signals a lot less on this bike than I did on any other.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Green is more difficult for me to see when I'm wearing sunglasses or have the sunshade down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Green is more difficult for me to see when I'm wearing sunglasses or have the sunshade down.
I'd prefer orange. It seems a more 'indicative' color for signal repeaters. Maybe it's the small size of the pod. But I never miss noticing if one's flashing. No matter how quickly I glance or what part of the cluster I'm looking at. It's just as well. On my ST1050 and VFR I resorted to fitting STS self canceling systems. They're magic, but they don't make one for the Ducati.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Green led stands out when viewed against the black and grey lcd. I don't think it would stand out as much on a color TFT. It might be just me, but I forget to cancel my turn signals a lot less on this bike than I did on any other.
Ahhhh. I thought you meant the signal indicator itself and not the warning light on the dashboard. That said the 2021 bike has self cancelling indicators - no idea how good they are as I have never had a bike with self cancelling indicators, so can't comment on them. Will find out in a couple of weeks though.
I've never had an issue with seeing the warning light for the indicators on the current bike.

Reactions: Grossi.BP

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

Our 939 also has self cancelling indicators, if you stay below 80 km/h they turn off after 500 meters.
A bit long on city roads and probably not really usable.

Hans

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Bizot Yes, but the 950 indicators self cancel based on the lean angle too.

Reactions: Bizot

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, I knew about the self canceling function, but who stays that slow for 500 m. I did test it once on a deserted road. It worked, but it seemed like I was crawling for ages before they cancelled. Lean angle would be an improvement, except when approaching a junction right after a curve....or, at a round about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts