Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Not much use if going over 50mph. No wonder I've never had them self cancel.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I am quite disappointed that this is missing from a lot of modern bikes.

Back in the early 80s, Yamaha indicators would cancel after 10 seconds or 100 metres, worked a charm. You got so used to it you could judge when to turn on an indicator so it cancelled as you negotiated a corner.

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have just test ridden the 950 to see how it compares with my 939. Unsurprisingly no noticeable difference apart from display and looks, albeit in the flesh, parking them side by side, less noticeable than i anticipated. 6 axis IMU is for 200hp superbikes, not necessary on a 110hp bike where you have to go to some effort to lift the front wheel.

Dont get me wrong, if i didnt have a 939 i would buy the 950 and for me, both are still the best all round bike on the market and i may break my golden rule never to replace my bike with the same model as so many bikes out there and so little time.

hard to see what else you can buy which is sporty, great handling, sweet spot hp, awesome torque for overtakes, can do a 400 mile day in comfort and most of all puts a smile on your face everytime you open the garage door.

i had a ducati 600SS around 10 years ago, bought for £950, (only 5k miles) loved that bike, sold a year later for £1500, now seeing them over £3000. Its the only bike i have ever came close to shedding a tear over as it was taken away. I needed a touring machine at the time.

I then got lost for many years in jap and german bikes but never had that same feeling until i saw the supersport, picked it up from dealer (no test ride before buying!) turned the key and all those 600SS feelings came flooding back. I decided from that point on I will always have a Ducati in my life.

Funnily enough at same time my riding mate had similar experience after a lifetime of 4 cylinder jap bikes, bought an 848 and he said riding it home he opened it up and the noise from the termis and handling made him shed a tear, it was what he had been searching for all his biking life.

Only a Ducati owner will understand this.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Dont get me wrong, if i didnt have a 939 i would buy the 950 and for me, both are still the best all round bike on the market and i may break my golden rule never to replace my bike with the same model as so many bikes out there and so little time.
I came from a string of 4 cylinder Japanese Super Sport 600 cc bikes to Triumph Street Triple 675 - I loved the noise of the Triumph after the howling Jap bikes. Then it was the 939 Supersport. After 3 years on the 939 I decided that I would get a 950. The bike does everyhing I want it to - I just want the latest model 🙈

Reactions: Grossi.BP

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im only one year in on the 939, replacement date will be 2023, unless someone comes up with a better idea it will be the 950 for me! I like to buy a bike model nearing end if its production run, let everyone else sort out the gremlins for me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am quite disappointed that this is missing from a lot of modern bikes.

Back in the early 80s, Yamaha indicators would cancel after 10 seconds or 100 metres, worked a charm. You got so used to it you could judge when to turn on an indicator so it cancelled as you negotiated a corner.
My old 550 Seca had self-cancelling signals. I don't get why they aren't on all the bikes. None of my 4 bikes have them.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My old 550 Seca had self-cancelling signals. I don't get why they aren't on all the bikes. None of my 4 bikes have them.
The STS module is amazing. Turns, overtaking, stopped at junctions, even round abouts. Everytime I'm thinking 'I'd cancel now' they just turned off. Such a pity it can't be used on our bike; because the signals work through the ecu to give us the almost useless self cancel function.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts