Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Mine makes the same noise馃徎馃徎. All works fine and smooth as silk but that noise ... 馃が

Good I am a new owner of an SS with 2000kms and I wanted to tell you a noise that makes me almost from the first day. It is like a metallic patter. Let's see if someone can tell you where it can come from or has happened to someone else. I leave audio video of it. Thank you.

Sound:
https://we.tl/t-xos1MZelNN

Video:
https://we.tl/t-kkDlEP2lm8

Registered
I can not hear any abnormal metal grinding. I only hear the normal noises from the testastretta. When metal grinds abnormally it's a horrible scary noise.
The video has a lovely sound to it. I can not hear something in the sound clip but I do hear a whizzing woo woo in the video. That might be the tensioners bushing.

Registered
You see dude... Its seems to be just our ugly engine standar noise. At least Im pleased you guys got the same music.

Registered
During my 600 miles service I mentioned to have them check out metal chattering noise. I was told mine was a bit louder than normal but it should be fine and if it get worst to bring it back in. It never gotten worse so I left it alone but it does have that metal to metal noise when I cold start it for the first minute or so.

Registered
I think it comes from the clutch side, dont u think?

During my 600 miles service I mentioned to have them check out metal chattering noise. I was told mine was a bit louder than normal but it should be fine and if it get worst to bring it back in. It never gotten worse so I left it alone but it does have that metal to metal noise when I cold start it for the first minute or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I think it comes from the clutch side, dont u think?

No noise comes from the clutch, I have uncovered an oil filler cap and nothing is heard inside. It comes rather from the belt tensioner of the vertical cylinder or so I think, from that area.

The bike is otherwise fantastic, but that noise with 2000kms, hot even increases the noise with the temperature.

Registered
The bike is otherwise fantastic, but that noise with 2000kms, hot even increases the noise with the temperature.[/QUOTE]

Same here dude, mine has 7500 km and same noise that increases with temp. Next week its gonna be serviced, second year service, and I will tell the dealer about it...

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It seems that the noise is quite widespread, bad in the mechanical design of the engine but otherwise it is a fairly complete motorcycle. Anyway, I will look to see if is possible to put grease the tensioners with something that does not attack the rubber or if I do not see how to remove the noise, put a few QD exhaust to cover the noise ...

Registered
had the same question when I first got this bike. i think it is because it is the first desmo engine I have ever owned. See the review Motorcyclist Magazine did on this bike. One of the first things the reviewer says is "clickity clack, clickity clack I know I'm on a Ducati". Desmos make noise.

I did find a cure though. I wear ear plugs all the time now :) :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Whatever they say, the desmo system doesn't make those noises, it's much finer, it's just a bad engine design. Too bad for ducati engineers and the worst thing I don't think is anything complicated to solve it.

Registered
I noticed it when I got the bike and still have it 2 years later. I have a another Testastretta Duke, a 749S, which doesn't do it and I believe it is to do with the air flow through the fairing, lack of fairing insulation which the 749S has or some weird amplification factor. I have also ridden a 1098 which doesn't exhibit the noise. Ear plugs do fix it!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Well, after several weeks without a motorcycle I already have a diagnosis of the "defective distribution gear" workshop. Apparently the defect of the cemented of the teeth of the same has caused that it is marked, the noise is generated and through the axis of the second pinion, the large one, the noise is transmitted to the other side of the engine, to the distribution pulleys, or that At least, that's what they told me. It seems like a small thing but if left, engine in the trash in no time. I hope that the 2800km that has been rolling like this, it has not affected anything else, but come on, to get to that element, it has been necessary to disassemble the entire left crankcase, water pump, antifreeze, alternator, alternator rotor, starter clutch, gear Starter, gear harpoon, gear gear sensor, crankshaft position sensors, oil, gaskets, ... to see how all this is put back as it was on a motorcycle that has just finished shooting.

To all those who have said that the noise was normal "character ducati" and such and such ... it also seems that it is not an isolated case, I have been told that now that they have located the problem they have fixed on other engines also what They do, it is possible that they call for review in the coming months, because a gear is not manufactured one by one, but batches of hundreds. All this is aware of the factory in Bologna, which is the one that marked the guidelines of what was being dismantled, as I have been told.

The truth is that despite being disappointed with the quality control of the brand, the official dealership in the area is doing it beautifully: wink:, something that doesn't surprise me because I had received very good references and know that you are trying your motorcycle as if it were yours, it calms down a lot and for that part I am very happy. I do not even want to imagine having half a disassembled motorcycle, with just the filming done, in an arrogant place without explaining anything, for that part I have been very lucky.

I will be telling you how the thing is when it is finished that the replacement parts of Italy are still to come and these things with the technology that is there today should not happen. Hopefully it looks good to be the first ducati I have ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts