Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the Power GP's or the Power 5's. It seems to me there's not a lot of difference between these tires, with the Power 5 being a bit better in the wet and more of an all rounder and the GP being similar but better suited to dry roads & the odd track day. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Anyone running the Power GP's or the Power 5's. It seems to me there's not a lot of difference between these tires, with the Power 5 being a bit better in the wet and more of an all rounder and the GP being similar but better suited to dry roads & the odd track day. Any thoughts?
Running the Power 5s in the stock sizes but only have commuting 100 miles or so on them at this point.

So far I like them a lot: very stable, very predictable, nice, smooth, consistent turn in, lots of grip, heat up quickly, but I’ve not pushed them hard to have any real feedback to performance.

I am heading out late next week on a couple day mountain riding trip and will have a much better idea of their performance after that. I’ll update a bit as we go if you can wait that long.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Running the Power 5s in the stock sizes but only have commuting 100 miles or so on them at this point.

So far I like them a lot: very stable, very predictable, nice, smooth, consistent turn in, lots of grip, heat up quickly, but I’ve not pushed them hard to have any real feedback to performance.

I am heading out late next week on a couple day mountain riding trip and will have a much better idea of their performance after that. I’ll update a bit as we go if you can wait that long.
So after a 300 mile mountain road blast, my above thoughts still stand: the Pilot Power 5s are GREAT overall sport tires and fit the character of this bike very well. Turn in is very stable, very predictable, and very linear feeling, also mid corner direction changes happen very easily and very predictably. I did get caught in some wetness, nothing huge or major, but they stuck well and felt quite stable in the wet. I didn’t push them like a wet weather sport touring tire like the Roads, but they did just fine and held the road in the rain.

I highly recommend the Pilot Power 5 tires for the Supersport if you are a curvy road rider like i use my bike for.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Mike, after riding those Mich Power 5 from Wisc (or Minnesota?) to North Carolina and back, how did they wear?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mike, after riding those Mich Power 5 from Wisc (or Minnesota?) to North Carolina and back, how did they wear?
The bikes were trailered from Minnesota to a cabin in Maggie Valley. I have zero desire or need to burn a set of tires in a 2500 mile round trip slabbing across boring Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana to ride the fun roads in the mountains and why I have an enclosed trailer with room for 4 sport bikes.

The tires have 450 miles on them now with no visible wear if that helps.

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
The bikes were trailered from Minnesota to a cabin in Maggie Valley. I have zero desire or need to burn a set of tires in a 2500 mile round trip slabbing across boring Minnesota, Illinois and Indiana to ride the fun roads in the mountains and why I have an enclosed trailer with room for 4 sport bikes.

The tires have 450 miles on them now with no visible wear if that helps.
Fair enough. Trailering is sometimes cost effective as well as keeping you warm and dry. (y) I have a toy hauler myself.

But I did ride my V11 Sport all the way to the Dragon and back for a Guzzi Spineframe Raid. I wanted to meet up with the guys from Tennessee and ride with them. I wore out most of a Michelin Pilot Road on the same bike just riding to Spring IL to the Mile. That's when I switched to Dunlop RS3. Now I'm running a RS3 in the Duc rear.

Update: I erroneously id'd the wrong Michelin tire in my original post.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So after a 300 mile mountain road blast, my above thoughts still stand: the Pilot Power 5s are GREAT overall sport tires and fit the character of this bike very well. Turn in is very stable, very predictable, and very linear feeling, also mid corner direction changes happen very easily and very predictably. I did get caught in some wetness, nothing huge or major, but they stuck well and felt quite stable in the wet. I didn’t push them like a wet weather sport touring tire like the Roads, but they did just fine and held the road in the rain.

I highly recommend the Pilot Power 5 tires for the Supersport if you are a curvy road rider like i use my bike for.
Which tyres did you use before? I never had a good feeling with Michelin tyres but as I have to change my Pirelli maybe I can test these new Michelin instead of road 5.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Which tyres did you use before? I never had a good feeling with Michelin tyres but as I have to change my Pirelli maybe I can test these new Michelin instead of road 5.
On the Ducati I only had the OEM Diablo Rosso III's and now these Pilot Power 5's.

On other bikes in the past I have used most of the Bridgestone and Michelin tire lineup over the years on both the sporting and sport touring end of the spectrum. I am not a fan of Dunlop's in general because I ALWAYS cup their front tires within 1500 miles, to the point the tire becomes unstable and noisy; talking to others they say Dunlop usually have a thin carcass prone to cupping. I have run Pirelli, Metzler and Continental but Michelin and Bridgestone are usually my go to tires.

Reactions: matt7tb4

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Mike, the Power 5 had better grip than Rosso III?
Mileage longevity is unknown?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Mike, the Power 5 had better grip than Rosso III?
Mileage longevity is unknown?
Yes.
Yes.

The Powers are "sport" tires and not "sport touring tires" like the Rosso's are so not surprising on the grip part. I also expect far less mileage than the Pirelli's but for my use that's fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts