Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding in the Northern California wilderness area and the mirror flew out of the housing. I called the dealer to have him order a new mirror. The mirror is not a replaceable item. The whole stalk with the mirror needs replacement.

A couple of weeks later I went over to the dealer to replace the chain and sprockets. The new mirror hadn't arrived. The dealer noticed the left mirror was loose and ordered a left mirror. He indicated that the replacement would be an improved design.

I think Ducati needs to be able to supply parts in a more reasonable time frame. Riding on multi lane roads without a right mirror is not a good experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Sorry about the mirror! We are all very interested to hear about the “new design”. Looking forward to your comments when you receive it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had my right mirror replaced under warranty because the glass was loose in the housing. A new mirror stalk is like ~$220 and mine took a few weeks to come in. Not sure how different the design is internally, but the markings on the mirror are different and in a different place than the left original.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
I had my right mirror replaced under warranty because the glass was loose in the housing. A new mirror stalk is like ~$220 and mine took a few weeks to come in. Not sure how different the design is internally, but the markings on the mirror are different and in a different place than the left original.
Different place than the left original? Could you plz explain further...

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
After many pics of mirrors falling out I decided to email my Duc dealer regarding a second warranty claim on the mirrors. They obliged. It was mentioned that the part number has changed a few times but there is still no recall on the mirrors. Anyway I'll have mine booked in soon for new ones.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Haven't we discussed a new mirror before? I don't think anything is different...just a new OEM manufacturer for them, IIRC.

Unfortunately, I think this is a "no never mind" kinda thing...I hope I'm totally wrong, though.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Haven't we discussed a new mirror before? I don't think anything is different...just a new OEM manufacturer for them, IIRC.

Unfortunately, I think this is a "no never mind" kinda thing...I hope I'm totally wrong, though.
What I was told is that the stem on the new part number still vibrates but the glass fixture is different. My warranty period will be up soon so I need to check in whatever I can. Engine warranty has expired after the work done esrlier this year. Also I will try claim for a second warranty claim on the covers under the seat. Yup they have broken again... This bike breaks when I ride it.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
What I was told is that the stem on the new part number still vibrates but the glass fixture is different.
If it's possible to visibly look at the new part before install, and compare with the existing part, that would be great.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If it's possible to visibly look at the new part before install, and compare with the existing part, that would be great.
TBH I don't think they'll be willing to pull the glass out to observe the differences. Also if they did I wouldn't want them putting it on my bike. At least they had the integrity to agree the warranty claim even though the glass hasn't fallen out. On the other hand why did Ducati not contact all SS owners about the campaign recall someone had posted in here.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
TBH I don't think they'll be willing to pull the glass out to observe the differences. Also if they did I wouldn't want them putting it on my bike. At least they had the integrity to agree the warranty claim even though the glass hasn't fallen out. On the other hand why did Ducati not contact all SS owners about the campaign recall someone had posted in here.
Sure, understand Amos, was more thinking a quick visual from the outside of the part.

And yes, I haven't received any notice either...odd.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
On the other hand why did Ducati not contact all SS owners about the campaign recall someone had posted in here.
A full on recall would mean close to 100% replacement, but if you wait till the user complains, you may have only 50% replacement. Auto manufacturers are the worst with this!! Its the difference between a TSB and a recall. Issuing a TSB is sometimes a pain, at least with Toyota. They most likely won't do the service work unless they can duplicate the issue, even if its just a preference type thing. Such a PITA!

·
Registered
90 Posts
My left mirror also flew off a few days ago. I noticed it was a lo t"wobblier" in the housing. Took it to the dealer. He said that there are "reported issues" with the mirrors, but nothing more specific. I mentioned the recall, and he said that they hadn't heard of it. I checked my VIN on the recall site at Ducati and there was nothing showing.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
My left mirror also flew off a few days ago. I noticed it was a lo t"wobblier" in the housing. Took it to the dealer. He said that there are "reported issues" with the mirrors, but nothing more specific. I mentioned the recall, and he said that they hadn't heard of it. I checked my VIN on the recall site at Ducati and there was nothing showing.
Which country??

·
Registered
476 Posts
No recall in Australia yet either.. but my mirrors are good to see but I still wish we had no fold in mirrors tho as that’s the only thing that can end up giving me buzzy mirrors if stems get play in them

·
Registered
90 Posts

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I contacted ducati SA regarding the recall. Anyway they put on new mirrors today. We checked for the green support posted by psyopper but it wasn't there. They also counted the amount of superceded part numbers for the mirrors and there are 7 different numbers, with the green support one I guess which wasn't present in the list.
Well my new ones vibrate less but they still like to get a good buzz going. It is a major change because my previous set were seriously useless, actually I stopped trying to use them but when an Audi came out of nowhere two weeks ago and brushed my right leg I thought it would be appropriate to put in a claim.
Mine are the 6th part number on the mirror list.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
Well my new ones vibrate less but they still like to get a good buzz going. It is a major change because my previous set were seriously useless...
That's great news, thanks for the update Amos!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts