Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Mirror Vibrations!

117K views 420 replies 99 participants last post by  DNA69 
If declutch works, it makes me think that the problem is the transmission and not the engine. Cos even with the clutch pulled in the engine is still running but the transmission is cut off. Any thoughts?
The engine is not under any load.

So in that case smooth rev transitions shouldnt lead to mirror vibrations?
It's a hard one, harmonics are a funny thing. Whenever you disengage the transmission from the motor (ie operate the clutch) you take the load off the motor.

I think its interesting the isolation material between the mirror and the shroud is effective. That indicates the problem is with the mirror glass. Extrapolating from that it suggests that a vibration caused by something else, and the motor is a likely candidate, it is a twin after all.

Somewhere in my past I recall something about resonant frequencies, causing something to vibrate at its natural frequency is a bad thing...

My guess is Ducati will be playing around with counterweighting the backs of the mirror for a quick and easy fix, if they can change the natural frequency of the mirror away from the frequency generated by the motor/ transmission/ drive train/ suspension (heck, even the tyre tread might be a suspect, albeit unlikely due to the tyre's isolation properties) or whatever is causing the issue, they will go down that path.

I well remember the 80's issue with big Suzuki bikes head shaking. As time wore on it was discovered certain tyres were more likely to cause the issue than others, and it was more likely to occur later in the tyre's life. That, too, was a harmonic issue (and far more serious than the mirror issue, people were getting spat off). The first time it happened to my wife while riding my Katana she vowed not to ride it again...

Maybe as time goes on we will discover the root cause and fix ourselves? Motorcyclists tend to an inquisitive creature.

It could be the material used in the engine mounts, or something else hard to find, but I suspect making the mirror glass less susceptible will be the first choice.

ohh, ok @Ed K Seems like the issue was for Italian made SS only. Mine is made in Thailand (all Indian imports were), so this is the best i will have from Ducati, apparently!
No. We get the Italian built Ducatis in Australia but we have not had mirrors recalled. We don't have the rear brake recall either, but it is a technical service bulletin that is addressed on a case by case basis (ie, you have to complain about the rear brake before anything happens).

Consumer protection in the US is more proactive than elsewhere in the world.

Oh goody, another mirror fix thread repeating advice from other threads...

@Ed K can you merge this with an existing thread?

Reactions: Ed K
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.