Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
361 - 380 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
It’s an LED strip, doesn’t have a bulb and isn’t really designed to be replaced. What am I missing?
My guess is that we'll be missing some some serious cash if the bulb, strip, whatever, goes out.

OK, I am not tech savvy but my question was legit. The strip doesn't burn out?

OK. well I learned somethin',

·
Registered
970 Posts
@LowRyter it's one part - the same as in modern cars with LED/laser lights, one parking accident and the whole lamp must be replaced. Let's be happy Ducati is not Apple - recommendation: buy a new bike.
It doesn't mean I won't try on my own to replace.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,736 Posts
Some LED's are replaceable. But with an expected service life of 30,000 hrs, or so, they should easily outlive the vehicle. Average speed 50 mph? So, good for 1,500,000 mls.
I wouldn't bank on that. I've seen quite a few LEDs fail prematurely. The LEDs in MTS1200 tail lights are known to fail. Fortunately they are (relatively) easy to get into. I've repaired a couple of Multi tail light units requiring LED replacement.

Reactions: sadsak

·
Registered
520 Posts
I wouldn't bank on that. I've seen quite a few LEDs fail prematurely. The LEDs in MTS1200 tail lights are known to fail. Fortunately they are (relatively) easy to get into. I've repaired a couple of Multi tail light units requiring LED replacement.
Yeh, expected service life doesn't always equate to what you get. My point is that manufacturers don't give a lot of thought to how you'd replace them. Often, they're considered a single unit with whatever they're mounted in - like our mirrors.

I just wish they'd made our mirror swivel with a nut instead of just bellowing the flange.

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Amazing! A quick manual on how to remove the mirrors from the housing please? :)
Sooooo..

This was tricky. Reading how everyone said to be careful. Yes you need to be careful. I would say doing this under the sun helps because it heats up the plastic and its housing area or you can use a heat gun. If you got a good picking tool like those used on teeth to reach the back, it would be good. I unfortunately did not have. I had to use a damn auto pry tool lol.

1. Heat up the area a bit (under the sun at 4pm is good)
2. Choose a pry tool or picking tool that can reach small back corner areas.
3. I used my pry tool and slowly worked on one clip and as seen in the pictures thats the order and the angel I took for each plastic clip. I didnt have to use much force. You can actually hear the sound of the clip unclip.
4. The last two inside clips are difficult. I had to bend it back and forth slowly - this is where the heat comes to play. Plastic bends with heat. If its stiff, Itll break when you try to pry it out. Be patient and try to pry.
5. If you cant pry it out easily with your tools, then youd have to bend the mirror back and forth slightly bending the plastic. If you know how plastic items bends, you start to see a white bend mark and you know its being bent. This is the exact thing I had to do. I had to bend a bit with force while move it back and forth and the last two came off once at a time. Once you take it off you will see that bend mark on the clips. Yeah, you do lose the clips strength but thats the only way withoit breaking it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sooooo..

This was tricky. Reading how everyone said to be careful. Yes you need to be careful. I would say doing this under the sun helps because it heats up the plastic and its housing area or you can use a heat gun. If you got a good picking tool like those used on teeth to reach the back, it would be good. I unfortunately did not have. I had to use a damn auto pry tool lol.

1. Heat up the area a bit (under the sun at 4pm is good)
2. Choose a pry tool or picking tool that can reach small back corner areas.
3. I used my pry tool and slowly worked on one clip and as seen in the pictures thats the order and the angel I took for each plastic clip. I didnt have to use much force. You can actually hear the sound of the clip unclip.
4. The last two inside clips are difficult. I had to bend it back and forth slowly - this is where the heat comes to play. Plastic bends with heat. If its stiff, Itll break when you try to pry it out. Be patient and try to pry.
5. If you cant pry it out easily with your tools, then youd have to bend the mirror back and forth slightly bending the plastic. If you know how plastic items bends, you start to see a white bend mark and you know its being bent. This is the exact thing I had to do. I had to bend a bit with force while move it back and forth and the last two came off once at a time. Once you take it off you will see that bend mark on the clips. Yeah, you do lose the clips strength but thats the only way withoit breaking it. View attachment 41892 View attachment 41893 View attachment 41894 View attachment 41895
That's super detailed, thank you! I'll try it this weekend (y)

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
85 Posts
Hi All, dummy question, how do I know if mirror vibrations in my bike are "normal SS". I feel it is too much, but do not have access to another SS to compare it against. Not sure if bike was a part of recall and previous owner got it replaced. Ducati recall website says that my bike is not a part of recall, or is already updated. Does not feel like it though!! Mirrors are useless for me at 3.5k+ rpm. There are just "blinding lights" in a very small window after that. 😫

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd be curious about this too. My dealer said all the recalls had been done on the bike but my mirror are completely useless at speeds overs 40mph. I guess my question would be for people who had the bike recalled for mirrors, is there any noticable difference after?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think sooner or later you could get to the same point. In mine knowing how it's made I'm sure the plastic "teeth" must have been worned out. I have some ideas how to easily improve and how to follow the hard way. So far I can't leave the city and everything must wait.
Btw. 62 000 views of this thread 👀

Here's 60MB video showing how it's with me now. It won't last long the video but just for curiosity.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
ohh, ok @Ed K Seems like the issue was for Italian made SS only. Mine is made in Thailand (all Indian imports were), so this is the best i will have from Ducati, apparently!
No. We get the Italian built Ducatis in Australia but we have not had mirrors recalled. We don't have the rear brake recall either, but it is a technical service bulletin that is addressed on a case by case basis (ie, you have to complain about the rear brake before anything happens).

Consumer protection in the US is more proactive than elsewhere in the world.

361 - 380 of 410 Posts