Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
381 - 400 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but at least it's given me the opportunity to test it for a couple thousand miles (including a 5 day tour of Maryland, WV, and Kentucky).
Take 4 pieces of 1.5" wide black duct tape (I used Gorilla Tape) approximately 3.5" long. Fold in half lengthwise (adhesive against adhesive), now fold again lengthwise. So now you have four pieces of tape 3.5" long, 3/8" wide, and the thickness of four pieces of tape.
Work these into the top and bottom slot between your mirror and housing, and then slide in the direction of the mirror stem (the slots get tighter in this direction. Make them as tight as possible and only sticking out 1/8" in front of the mirror. Done. See photo below - can barely see the tape.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

This removed 95% of the vibration on my mirrors. You may need to adjust the above depending on the thickness of the tape you use.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Supersport
43 Posts
I also used the Sorborthane method, and for me, it has eliminated most, if not all, of the mirror vibrations. It depends on my speed and revs. I could probably keep adjusting the Sorbothane to make it more effective, but since the way I have it installed has eliminated 90% plus of the vibration, and made the mirrors usable, I'm going to leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I also used the Sorborthane method, and for me, it has eliminated most, if not all, of the mirror vibrations. It depends on my speed and revs. I could probably keep adjusting the Sorbothane to make it more effective, but since the way I have it installed has eliminated 90% plus of the vibration, and made the mirrors usable, I'm going to leave well enough alone.
It definitely helped my bike. As I said elsewhere here recently, I was considering more of it on the bolt fasteners where the stalks mount to the cowl frame.

I didn't think about Ashley F's lock washers or spring washers.....perhaps?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
How easy it to get to the actual bolt fasteners so I can try the spring washer thingie?
Quite a technical discussion on the link I posted re harmonic vibration and getting frequencies unaligned. Sorta white noise effect for vibration.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
How easy it to get to the actual bolt fasteners so I can try the spring washer thingie?
Quite a technical discussion on the link I posted re harmonic vibration and getting frequencies unaligned. Sorta white noise effect for vibration.
The stalks install with two bolts each on both sides of the cowl bracket. You can see the opening for the bolts through the plastic from the rider's side below the windshield above the steering head..

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Has anyone tried heavier bar ends to help reduce the mirror vibration? I know they will not eliminate it, but would they reduce it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Has anyone tried heavier bar ends to help reduce the mirror vibration? I know they will not eliminate it, but would they reduce it?
I have heavy bar ends with inner weights too, probably about 300g or more added each side. No difference to the mirror vibrations. Not sure how bar end weights would help anyway, since the mirror vibes seem to be a product of engine vibes through the frame?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hi @Boe do the weights you have fix the bar vibes?
I think they do. Not 100% but it was getting to the point where I couldn't hang on any longer due to numbness, and I don't get anywhere near that point now with the heavier bar end weights. Sure, a few times during a day's ride I'll have to let go and shake out my hand for a few seconds but it's not distracting like it was. The vibes that remain remind me of the bike I'm riding; they are a direct consequence of a engine I love.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think they do. Not 100% but it was getting to the point where I couldn't hang on any longer due to numbness, and I don't get anywhere near that point now with the heavier bar end weights. Sure, a few times during a day's ride I'll have to let go and shake out my hand for a few seconds but it's not distracting like it was. The vibes that remain remind me of the bike I'm riding; they are a direct consequence of a engine I love.
Which brand of weights mate?

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Klev, did you already order the Muth rubber edge trim?

One piece of trim is 54cm long. There are two pieces in a single order.

I used approximately 9cm to line the top edge of one mirror so in total I used 18cm. I'm not sure you can squeeze another strip on the lower edge of the mirror so you'll have a lot left over from one piece.

I intend to send Volambre the remaining edge trim from the one piece I used so he can line his mirrors.

That leaves me three pieces (I accidentally ordered two sets of edge trim) that I will take to the First Annual to hook up whoever wants to be buzz-free.

Well, hopefully buzz-free. I just Installed today and I'm headed out for a test ride in a bit.

I fired up the bike on the Baxley stand in the garage and did a bench test....pretty impressed with the isolation so far.
Hi, did the Muth rubber edge trim fix the vibrations for you??

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Hi, did the Muth rubber edge trim fix the vibrations for you??
Sorry - missed this.

It definitely reduced the oscillation but didn’t eliminate it.

For me, the price was modest, the fitment was clean and there was a precedent by other riders and their mirrors. Some of the other shadetree solutions I saw were a bit Frankensteinish.

Best of luck. Let us know how you get along.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I installed some more Muth mirror edge trim along the lower edge. This snugged up the mirror quite a bit. If it still vibrates, I think I’m just going to accept that my bike has buzzy mirrors and not let it interfere with my enjoyment of all the other Chinese parts that work well. Been raining a lot lately and I’m a sissy so haven’t tested out the mirrors yet.
@NothingClever, I just received the Muth trim today and installed it along the top. Haven't tested it yet since it's 105F right now.
Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Automotive design Steering wheel
Automotive side-view mirror Bicycle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar

How in the world did you fit it in along the lower edge as well? I already had trouble getting it in the top edge!

381 - 400 of 410 Posts