Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Thrilled to be officially joining as I’ve been reading posts for a while but depriving myself of joining until I bit the bullet & put a deposit down!

My bike history - got my license about 5 years ago, prior to that I’d only had a moped nearly 30 years ago (albeit a 1983 FS1SE which is surely the ‘king’ of mopeds?). I’m not lucky enough to be in the position to have multiple bikes like some on the forum as living in the SE of England I essentially don’t have the money or space (in that order probs!).

As soon as Duc launched the SS I wanted one but wasn’t ready for such a nice bike so I’ve ran a couple of old Monsters since. For the past 18m I’ve been ready to upgrade & I’ve been enjoying shopping looking at different options. Last week, after much deliberation I finally put a deposit down on bike - I DID think I’d made the right decision BUT speaking to a couple folk they think different so wanted to get the forum’s expertise…

I got the sweetest deal on a last off the line red previous gen SSS. Fully loaded inc grips, screen, the up & over Akraps & he gave me stupid money for my scrappy Monster part ex so couldn’t really say no! BUT truth is that for a a bit more (ok..a couple thousand) I COULD get myself on a 950 - but base model not an S, no options etc

What do we think? Whatever I get will be a serious upgrade from my 2012 Monster so comfier seat, better dash, more wind protection I’ll be getting in the old model so do I need these added features in the 950? Is it better to get a ‘special’ older model or an ‘off the shelf’ new non-S 950? Both bikes look awesome to me; although the 950 admittedly looks nicer at the nose I could happily live with the previous gen’s Italian ‘beak’…!

D

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
@Decider Welcome to the forum.

I had the 939S for nearly 3 years and then px'd it for a 950S. There is not much difference that you would notice apart from the fairing, the seat is slightly different and the dash. IMHO you sound as if you have got a great deal on the 939 with some great extras included - the 939 is a great bike and you will be happy with it.

Please tell me you still have the Fizzy? They go for stupid money now and are icons of our youth. My first venture on 2 wheels was a purple Fizzy in 1978. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish I would have kept it but I px'd it for a Suzuki X7.

Reactions: Decider

·
Administrator
7,987 Posts
@Decider Welcome! Very glad you joined us! You will love the SuperSport!

There is no easy answer to your question! It’s a very personal decision. The “full” (“race” rather than “slip-on”) Akra can be kinder loud for some, compared to stock. And if you haven’t already, you might ride both bikes to compare the sound difference, among other differences between the S prior gen and standard model current gen.

We have a saying around here that many would say to those who ask if they should get a SuperSport: “Ride one and you’ll know”. If you can demo both bikes, you’ll immediately know if the new model standard bike is worth the extra cost to you.

Btw, as one consideration, is the prior gen SuperSport S new?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses!

So no I don’t have the Fizzy anymore & yes I wish I did! It was a tidy bike too but the lure of 4 wheels as a 17 year old was too strong..

And no the 939 isn’t new; it’s a year old with 500 miles on the clock -apparently an ‘elderly’ gentleman bought it, ticked all the options boxes, but hardly used it. He chopped it in for a Multi so the dealer has it back now trying to get rid as they have 950 stock to move - hence the sweet deal!

I have ridden both bikes new & old shape but not back-back. All I can say is that both rode like a dream compared to my Monster - I would only single out the old because that too had those race pipes & they sounded awesome!

Net I think I’ve answered my Q - I’m sticking with my 939! Any other comments thinking otherwise are welcome; otherwise I’ll look forward to dropping some pics of my new arrival in the next week or so!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Very little real world difference between the 939 and 950, you made the right decision to keep with the 939.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
@Decider If it has only got 500 miles on it and with the extras too, sounds as if its a no brainer. First service is at 600 miles - did you negotiate that in the deal too?

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah good shout, thanks for flagging as it was a topic of discussion with the dealer - yes, I’d asked & they’d agreed to do that first service before I take ownership so all good there!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on a 500 mile bike. I bought mine used as well, but I'm a Guzzi riding tightwad. And proudly so.

Enjoy your ride and laugh all the way to the bank!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s arrived! I practically wept with joy when I saw it - honestly, it’s SO beautiful!

The Akras are stupid loud without the baffles so they will need to go in at some point 😉 Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts