Ducati SuperSport Forum banner

Do you mostly sport, or tour?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just kind of realized that this bike can go either way... Giggity

So do you use yours more for sport riding, or more touring in nature?

As long as you're rolling around.. it's all good!

Registered
It's hard to make the choice here, in that the whole point of getting a sport-tourer is to do both. If you really do sport a lot more, there are sportbikes; if you really do touring a lot more, there are touring bikes.

That said, the genre of "sport-touring" definitely has a wide range, encompassing the whole field of everything that is in between full touring and full sport, from the tour-ier end like the ~700-lb Concours and 1300ST, to the sportier end like the ~500-lb KTM 1290GT and the Duc 950SS. The Duc is definitely more on the sporting end of the range, so I'd expect that most buyers of it lean toward sporting more than touring.

OTOH, I've spent the last 28 years on Ducati Monsters, and am traveling more and carrying more than I used to, so I'm looking at it very much because of its better capability at touring. At 58, I'm finding it a bit harder to do 700+ miles in a day on a Monster, so i want something with a bit more effective range, and more carrying ability.

So even though I'm looking at the sportier end of the range in general (the most touring-like example on my short list is the new Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello), the purpose is to move to be better at touring than I have been. My other short-listers are the Duc 950SS, KTM 1290GT, and maybe the Kawasaki H2 SX SE or the Honda VFR1200. Definitely nothing over 600 lbs. (The Motus MST was on my shortlist, and was nearly ideal, but they have gone out of business.)

My actual riding practice has long been about 70% daily transport, 25% touring/traveling, and only about 5% real sporting/trackdays. But I like to do all of those things on a bike that is relatively light and nimble, that handles well, and that I can pick up reasonably if it falls over.

So anyway, I voted "touring" in the poll, because that's why this bike (or one like it).

PhilB

Reactions: Matteo66

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's hard to make the choice here, in that the whole point of getting a sport-tourer is to do both. If you really do sport a lot more, there are sportbikes; if you really do touring a lot more, there are touring bikes.

That said, the genre of "sport-touring" definitely has a wide range, encompassing the whole field of everything that is in between full touring and full sport, from the tour-ier end like the ~700-lb Concours and 1300ST, to the sportier end like the ~500-lb KTM 1290GT and the Duc 950SS. The Duc is definitely more on the sporting end of the range, so I'd expect that most buyers of it lean toward sporting more than touring.

OTOH, I've spent the last 28 years on Ducati Monsters, and am traveling more and carrying more than I used to, so I'm looking at it very much because of its better capability at touring. At 58, I'm finding it a bit harder to do 700+ miles in a day on a Monster, so i want something with a bit more effective range, and more carrying ability.

So even though I'm looking at the sportier end of the range in general (the most touring-like example on my short list is the new Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello), the purpose is to move to be better at touring than I have been. My other short-listers are the Duc 950SS, KTM 1290GT, and maybe the Kawasaki H2 SX SE or the Honda VFR1200. Definitely nothing over 600 lbs. (The Motus MST was on my shortlist, and was nearly ideal, but they have gone out of business.)

My actual riding practice has long been about 70% daily transport, 25% touring/traveling, and only about 5% real sporting/trackdays. But I like to do all of those things on a bike that is relatively light and nimble, that handles well, and that I can pick up reasonably if it falls over.

So anyway, I voted "touring" in the poll, because that's why this bike (or one like it).

PhilB
700+ miles a day on a Monster>>>> 馃

You're a better man than me...

Registered
700+ miles a day on a Monster>>>> 馃

You're a better man than me...
That bike really fit me well. I did over 900 in a day a few times. The most intense ride for me was the time that, due to unforeseen delays, I had 4 days to get from San Diego to Cleveland for a job. 2700 miles in 4 days was a lot. I was a bit saddlesore when I got there, and didn't ride for about a week. I was planning to get around to trying to do a couple of the easier Iron Butt runs on it (1000-mile day, and 1500 miles in 36 hours) but we got taken out by a hit-and-run driver first. I did ride that bike to 35 states, plus parts of Canada and Mexico, in the 24 years and 265K miles I had it.

But yeah, I'm getting a bit older, and doing more traveling and wanting to carry more stuff, so it's time to switch to a more sport-touring style.

PhilB

Registered
2018 Supersport 939 S
My vote is Sport - but in a more gentlemanly/womanly way than a race-rep. This is a bike that's easier on my ageing body and I consume long distances with it without real complaint. So it can tour but... When the road gets serpentine and the traffic thins, the Supersport unfurls its true nature. It's like it's been hanging out for such riding conditions, tolerating all the straight road cruising just so it can let rip in the twisties. It's sportier than all the other 'sports tourers' that I've ridden - VFRs, Ninja SXs, Tracers, Fazers, GSXs, Trophys, SMTs, MTSs, etc. It's a fitting replacement for my 2006 Ducati SS1000DS by being both more comfortable and faster than that much-enjoyed (sports)bike.

Registered
It鈥檚 a touring bike until I get to the twisty roads then it鈥檚 a Sportbike. I鈥檝e done 2 2000+ miles trips on it and the intent of each trip was to ride as many curves as possible. I should say I also have a VFR 1200f non dct. It is a very fast comfy sport touring bike but it is big and heavy compared with the Supersport. VFR is better for 600 mile days and the Supersport is better for 350 mile days. Supersport is also better in the curves but the VFR is good in the curves. I鈥檝e ridden some 500+ mile days on the Supersport and I was more tired than I would have been on the VFR but it was worth it when I finally got to the curves. VFR is Warp speed fast compared with the Supersport. I miss that power sometimes on the Supersport
All in all I love the Supersport but I鈥檓 keeping the VFR for the trips that are multiple 500 mile days. The Supersport is a Sportbike you can tour on and the factory luggage works very well too.

Registered
I have a 2014 VFR800. In comparison the VFR is quite heavy, but it carries a gallon more fuel and I have the OEM hard cases for it which is nice. If I need to put down loooong mileage days the VFR is preferable for sure. The SS is better in the curves hands down.
Trouble is finding anyone competent to do work on the VFR. The dealers in Oregon have been disappointing when I've taken it to them and some of the independent mechanics don't want to touch V4s. I was lucky to find someone who could do the valves after 36k miles.
At least with the Duc MotoCorsa is competent.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It鈥檚 a touring bike until I get to the twisty roads then it鈥檚 a Sportbike. I鈥檝e done 2 2000+ miles trips on it and the intent of each trip was to ride as many curves as possible. I should say I also have a VFR 1200f non dct. It is a very fast comfy sport touring bike but it is big and heavy compared with the Supersport. VFR is better for 600 mile days and the Supersport is better for 350 mile days. Supersport is also better in the curves but the VFR is good in the curves. I鈥檝e ridden some 500+ mile days on the Supersport and I was more tired than I would have been on the VFR but it was worth it when I finally got to the curves. VFR is Warp speed fast compared with the Supersport. I miss that power sometimes on the Supersport
All in all I love the Supersport but I鈥檓 keeping the VFR for the trips that are multiple 500 mile days. The Supersport is a Sportbike you can tour on and the factory luggage works very well too.
Mine and the wife's are both set up for 1 up riding.... seat cowl, suspension front and rear couple clicks out from stock settings, and no rear sets back there...
We basically do a bunch of twisties together couple of times a week...

However, I find myself riding back and forth to work every day now, which I would only do once in a while on the 01.
It's 20 minutes of back roads, then 15 minutes of highway.
I'm not sure you would call it touring, but I'm riding the thing every day... just got some heated gloves as well...

I think if I were to do some real touring, I'd want something else a bit bigger..

Administrator
While I rode my SuperSport on a solo, 5000 mile, 3 week trip heavily loaded in all kinds of weather, and it was perfectly fine, I would suggest that it鈥檚 best suited for ripping back roads. But that鈥檚 was great about the SuperSport, it can do both, while maintaining it鈥檚 Sport bias. But I would be hesitant to do that kinda mileage 2 up on the SuperSport (some Members have though).

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I rode my SuperSport on a solo, 5000 mile, 3 week trip heavily loaded in all kinds of weather, and it was perfectly fine, I would suggest that it鈥檚 best suited for ripping back roads. But that鈥檚 was great about the SuperSport, it can do both, while maintaining it鈥檚 Sport bias.
well put...
you're right on the money...
maybe i'll get some panniers for them and do some trips next year.

Administrator
Although opinions here vary widely, I really like the panniers for Touring. There is one bolt that tends to break on a cross brace, that our Forum developed a fix for by tapping in a larger bolt. 鈥淧annier bracket bolt broke鈥 for details and fix.

Also, opinions vary here about Touring screens. Personally, I found the Ducati Touring screen to be perfectly fine, and the darker shade looks better than the one that comes with the bike, imo, too.

Administrator
Road 5 tires also lasted much longer than 5,000 miles of the trip, and have great wet grip, that I also needed for that trip, whereas Rosso III only last my riding max about 4000 miles. I鈥檓 back to the III now for every day Sport riding.

Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
I consider mine a Sport bike ( at 66 it's plenty sporty for me) . I have a Harley Street Glide for touring. I had an FJR1300 and think it was more Touring focused although capable in the twisties.

Reactions: Ed K
1 - 16 of 16 Posts