Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Motociclismo, one of the most important italian magazines, compared on two naked with fairing (Kawasaki Z1000SX and Suzuki GSX-S1000F), two classic sports-tourers (Honda VFR800F and Ducati SuperSport) and one tourer with handlebars (BMW R 1200 RS).

What is the best bike to have fun in the curves without suffering from transfers? :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've got to admit I find these reviews ..... stupid. It's the only word I can think of.

Why would someone even include a VFR800 in such a comparison?? Bike is way too heavy and obsolete. The prior shape looked good, it was the main thing going for it, and they even did away with that on the current model. You'd only include it in a comparison to any bike when you want the other one to 'win'. Both the BMW and Kwak are genuine sport-tourers and heavier. No slouches by any means, and do what they are intended to do VERY well.

There is only one bike among the 4 that is a valid true competitor, and that is the GSX-S1000F . Both being an upright sport bike with full faring of comparable weight. So is it then fair to compare the the Supersport 'S' model to a basic GSX-S1000F??? The GSX-S1000F sells for around $4000 less than the S model Supersport in Australia. The appropriate apples and apples comparison would be between the base model Supersport and the one and only model GSX-S1000F. Or alternatively compare the S model to a GSXS that has had a major suspension upgrade both front and back.

So would you be prepared to bet your 'left one' on a Supersport S in a match against a GSX-S1000F (145 hp) with a $4K aftermarket suspension upgrade in mountainous twisties (all other things e.g. rider skill etc. being equal)??? Your more game than me if you would, because I wouldn't.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Phew those bikes just seem so boring to me. Seriously, which one other than the SS rattles your eyeballs at 200+ km/h. The differences in engine performance is made up by the SS in character. Frankly I much prefer character to the rest, if I want smoothness and lacklustre I just get on one of my 4 cyl bikes in the garage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
good article, on the spot from my perspective with the pros and cons of the 939. the Z1000SZX does need suspension work for it to perform anywhere near the SS/s and is mandatory.

It is bigger, it is heavier, and the 4cyl is VERY different from the italian twins. As someone who just rode a 4cyl for the first time (Z1000SX/Ninja 1000) it is a VERY different experience. It depends what you are looking for as a touring motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
As someone who just rode a 4cyl for the first time (Z1000SX/Ninja 1000) it is a VERY different experience. It depends what you are looking for as a touring motorcycle.
I came directly from a Ninja 1000 to the SS. The SS is my favorite, obviously, but the new N1K beats the SS on practically every statistical category. But, I wouldn't change my decision for anything.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I came directly from a Ninja 1000 to the SS. The SS is my favorite, obviously, but the new N1K beats the SS on practically every statistical category. But, I wouldn't change my decision for anything.
Funny, this is exactly how I describe the difference between the new SS and my carbureted '94.

Reactions: se7en
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.