Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a sporadic problem that I want to see if anyone else has come across.

My 2017 SSS has started jumping out of gear while riding on the freeway.The problem is very sporadic (it's happened on 4 days out of the past 3 weeks). This has happened in different gears (3rd, 4th, 5th), and what happens is that I'll be accelerating, say, in 4th gear, and then suddenly the bike loses acceleration and starts revving (dash still says 4th or whatever gear), at which point I immediately pull in the clutch and put it back into gear. This tends to happen while I am accelerating mostly, and it's not just after I've shifted (for example, this morning, I was probably in 4th gear for 5-10 seconds with stable throttle when suddenly it happened again).

This seems to only happen at the start of the ride (almost always in the morning). Bike temp will be above low temp (100F) but it is usually be below 150F. Now since this has been happening for a while, I've made sure to have firm gear shifts to avoid "missing a gear", but I'm pretty sure its not that. It also happens both with manual-clutch shifts or DQS shifts. Finally, some mornings it will happen multiple times in a row, but this is rare. I.e. I'll be accelerating on the highway in 3rd, then bam it's out of gear, I'll fix it, then bam out of gear again, etc for like 3 or 4 times before it stabilizes.

Any ideas? The bike just left factory warranty but it does have extended warranty so hopefully the dealer can fix whatever is wrong. Mileage is about 6K miles. (The bike has always been extremely finicky about finding neutral and with shifting -- especially with DQS around 1st/2nd and 5th/6th gear -- and also tends to have the gear stick when trying to go from 2nd to 1st in the mornings in case those additional symptoms are helpful.)

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You have paid for an extended warranty so let the dealer find and fix the problem, hopefully there will be fault codes logged so the dealer has a better change of a good fix.
It might be worth disabling the dqs to see if that cures the issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called the dealer and he suggested adjusting the shift lever down (which I already knew about from this forum). I'll give that a try but if the problem continues, as you say, I'll just bite bullet and take it in.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Called the dealer and he suggested adjusting the shift lever down (which I already knew about from this forum). I'll give that a try but if the problem continues, as you say, I'll just bite bullet and take it in.
thats what fixed it for me...its kind of like partial shift. You have to shift gears very firmly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
That fixes false neutrals for me, i.e. when you actually don’t even get in gear every now and then.

What Neama describes here seems different, like gears unlock after having actually switched properly.

I too would personally look into some kind of professional assistance, on that one.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,613 Posts
Sounds like either the shifter fork is out of adjustment so that the gears aren't being selected properly or something has gone wrong with the detent mechanism which should hold the selector drum in position for each gear.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I thought this was like false neutrals. OP didn't say that gears drop but that it just loses power. I have had it happen just like that. After shifting the bike would drop into false neutral. Adjusting the clutch and the shift lever fixed it for me

·
Registered
655 Posts
What are the chances there was slight pressure on shift lever? I’ve had occasional false neutrals, but only with upshift on closed throttle or downshift on open throttle. I guess if lever position led to foot resting on lever with slightly too much pressure, undesired shift action could be initiated?
Hopefully, trans not the problem, but if it is warranty should cover.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the followups. From your descriptions and diagnostics, I'm more convinced than ever that it's not a shifting issue and something else internal to the gearbox/drive train/etc. As mentioned, it's not so much a missed shift as it is the bike suddenly dropping out of gear.

This morning it happened for the first time while down shifting using the DQS and closed throttle (3rd to 2nd then two seconds later out of gear). Kind of scary to be engine breaking and then suddenly have the bike start coasting on you. As suggested, I'll test the bike with the lever in the new position for a week and if the problems continue I will take her in to the dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for all the followups. From your descriptions and diagnostics, I'm more convinced than ever that it's not a shifting issue and something else internal to the gearbox/drive train/etc. As mentioned, it's not so much a missed shift as it is the bike suddenly dropping out of gear.

This morning it happened for the first time while down shifting using the DQS and closed throttle (3rd to 2nd then two seconds later out of gear). Kind of scary to be engine breaking and then suddenly have the bike start coasting on you. As suggested, I'll test the bike with the lever in the new position for a week and if the problems continue I will take her in to the dealer.
See my post regarding false neutral when engine breaking in second gear. Ducati Austin rebuilt my transmission under warranty. They replaced shift forks and other parts. It would go into neutral when engine braking in second gear. Did on track. After rebuild, no issues after 2,900 miles.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine also jumps out of 6-5 gear. It will get stuck in neutral so the bike will have to come to a complete stop before it will select a gear again.

It is incredibly dangerous as generally the bike is licking along at some speed by this point.....happened recently at the TT doing 130mph on windy corner, not fun.

Pretty sure it is an issue with the selector drum or dogs on the gears as it only happens on down shift on slight hills totally off the power.

I have highlighted this to the dealer and as usual Ducati do not want to know even though I am pretty sure this issue will end up in a fatality. They tried fobbing me off with all sorts of excuses, first it was a feature of the gearbox and then its my riding.....never had a issue with shifting on any other bike before and I ride loads of terrible old classic stuff.

I think a few people have documented this now so it would be good to know what batch number your bike is to compare.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
5,830 Posts
Wonder if this issue is limited to the bikes equipped with DQS; possibly DQS causing premature gearbox wear(?).

Anyone without DQS experiencing this issue?

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
All I have to say is that the bike wants to be put in gear.. No feather footing is condoned when it comes to the SS gear box. Whenever mine has hopped out its because I was too gentle. Change gears with meaning. Period....

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
All I have to say is that the bike wants to be put in gear.. No feather footing is condoned when it comes to the SS gear box. Whenever mine has hopped out its because I was too gentle. Change gears with meaning. Period....
After watching a V4 Speciale get absolutely hammered through the gears today in the test booth during the Ducati factory tour, I can assure you Amos’ counsel is consistent with factory operational test parameters. The tech on the rollers was merciless on the transmission as he worked through the engine performance and rider aid verification protocols.

·
Registered
439 Posts
After watching a V4 Speciale get absolutely hammered through the gears today in the test booth during the Ducati factory tour, I can assure you Amos’ counsel is consistent with factory operational test parameters. The tech on the rollers was merciless on the transmission as he worked through the engine performance and rider aid verification protocols.
And this goes double for the DQS! Shift up like you are kicking a football. Shift down like you are crushing a cockroach.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts