Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wonder if this issue is limited to the bikes equipped with DQS; possibly DQS causing premature gearbox wear(?).

Anyone without DQS experiencing this issue?
I highly doubt it's anything to do with DQS. I had this happen on my way home from the dealership and I redlinned my 15 mile SS. Also the way these transmissions are setup there's nothing to wear from property timed clutchless shifts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
OK I just dropped it off at the dealer this morning. He was insistent that the Ducati Factory will reject the repair because "it's a known issue that people aren't shifting hard enough." (My factory warranty runs out in 3 days -- although I do have extended warranty through RPMOne)

I've been riding this bike for two years without a shifting problem ... I didn't suddenly forget how to shift firmly. It's now happening every morning for the past few weeks -- including after adjusting the shift pedal down as instructed. We'll see what the technician reports in a few hours.

(Although if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to "persuade" Ducati to honor their warranty and fix your bike, please do let me know.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
They just gave you the big BS quote on that one...

If you have the option, I’d go look some place else. Some dealerships specialize in sales (of brand new bikes), others, in mechanics and maintenance.

There’s always a point, a moment, when your bike gets past the «*new bike*» point and that is usually when you want to switch from Ducati official dealer to retired ducati voodoo mechanic type place.

Just my 0.02, of course.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
OK I just dropped it off at the dealer this morning. He was insistent that the Ducati Factory will reject the repair because "it's a known issue that people aren't shifting hard enough." (My factory warranty runs out in 3 days -- although I do have extended warranty through RPMOne)

I've been riding this bike for two years without a shifting problem ... I didn't suddenly forget how to shift firmly. It's now happening every morning for the past few weeks -- including after adjusting the shift pedal down as instructed. We'll see what the technician reports in a few hours.

(Although if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to "persuade" Ducati to honor their warranty and fix your bike, please do let me know.)
I would question if they even know how to rebuild the engine... Many dealer mechanics do refits because they have no idea how to repair and under ducati warranty thry should replace the engine and send it to ducati Italy for failure analysis. I'm guessing they're not in the mood for all that effort so they gave you a handful of bullish!t.
Well I hope you get it sorted because it will be a great shame remembering the SS based on your experience.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Forgive me if this was covered but how was your oil level?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts

OK, go straight to Ducati Corporate. The dealer has more or less admitted that they won't cooperate. I have no idea if Ducati will help out or not but I wouldn't hesitate or wait.

Ultimately, by occam's razor, you'll likely end up getting rid of the bike and closing the door on Ducati unless they fix it. And who knows how long it will take.

This also gives me pause about keeping my bike since this was a latent defect. One reason I stick with these forums is to find issues like this. I am going to very attentive.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
I highly doubt it's anything to do with DQS. I had this happen on my way home from the dealership and I redlinned my 15 mile SS. Also the way these transmissions are setup there's nothing to wear from property timed clutchless shifts.
Well, yes, agree, unlikely, but it’s possible. Only a tear down will reveal for sure.

Parts like selector fork, selector drum, or dogs on the gears, could get worn from clutchless, even potentially, long term DQS shifting. For example, DQS doesn’t shift equally smooth across all rpm ranges. Perhaps difference rider usage patterns of DQS could effect wear on transmission. Just thinking through difference possibilities, until definitive cause is identified.

With 12,000 miles on mine, it has never once slipped out of gear, or had any other transition issue. But I rarely use DQS.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update: Beverly Hills Ducati collected all the info and readings from the bike and submitted it to Ducati HQ to get approval, but head of service sounded very skeptical as to HQ approving any warranty service. He basically reiterated that many people have had this problem and then he showed me the email that Ducati HQ has sent to dealers basically saying the reason the SS jumps out of gear is because people aren't shifting hard enough.

I'll provide an update once I hear back from the dealer.

(To answer some questions in this thread:
1. Oil level is good and all maintenance has been done on schedule at the dealer
2. I usually upshift with DQS except for 1-2 [not smooth at all] and 5-6 [very easily get false neutrals, which have a different characteristic than what's been happening lately - those 5-6 mis-shifts are instant]
3. DQS shifts have always required a seriously open throttle, so only do it on the freeway
4. Gearbox has always had its quirks, neutral can be impossible to find, and manually downshifting from 2-1 can sometimes be impossible -- literally can put a ton of weight on the lever and it won't budge
5. Most of the quirks of the gearbox tend to go away when it has been riding for a while, basically a fully-warm 190F+ gearbox is great, anything below 160F can be quirky as ****, but my freeway commute is short so I spend a decent amount of time with a lukewarm gearbox every day.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for all the followups. From your descriptions and diagnostics, I'm more convinced than ever that it's not a shifting issue and something else internal to the gearbox/drive train/etc. As mentioned, it's not so much a missed shift as it is the bike suddenly dropping out of gear.

This morning it happened for the first time while down shifting using the DQS and closed throttle (3rd to 2nd then two seconds later out of gear). Kind of scary to be engine breaking and then suddenly have the bike start coasting on you. As suggested, I'll test the bike with the lever in the new position for a week and if the problems continue I will take her in to the dealer.
This is exactly what happens with my bike every time I am rolling in 2nd with a closed throttle. I just jumps out of gear. I have scheduled an appointment for the yearly inspection and I am curious what it is going to be.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@Heimix Thanks for posting and keeping us informed after the dealer looks at it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So, the dealers sais Ducati thinks it is the shift fork and there is a modified version that is going to be installed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had my issue fixed under warranty in the end, complete engine/ gearbox rebuild and it sorted the issue. It meant I basically didn't ride the bike all last summer but at least it is sorted now.

Good luck getting yours fixed!

Matt

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
So, the dealers sais Ducati thinks it is the shift fork and there is a modified version that is going to be installed.
Great to hear it’ll be fixed.

Please let us know the part number of the modified version of the shift fork when it is installed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It’s D-82120151A, seems like it fixed the issue.
Also got the new mirrors under warranty, still not good but way better than before.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
It’s D-82120151A, seems like it fixed the issue.
Also got the new mirrors under warranty, still not good but way better than before.
Great to hear!

That would be part #25 on this diagram.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bike regularly appears to jam when going from 6th to 5th and you have to stamp on the lever to get into gear, makes an awful crunching sound.
It does this 2,3,4 times each ride but can be fine the rest of the time.
Yesterday twice while accelerating hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd it seemed to slip out of gear but again was fine the rest of the time.
I have ridden bikes for 45 years so it’s not as though it’s my first bike.
Shifting up seems smooth but going down feels stiffer, maybe this is the same for everyone with a Quickshifter.

Anyone else’s bike do this from6th to 5th, a friends new Hypermotard does this as well.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts