Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered I’m missing 2 screws today. Believe I used Loctite on them when installing CF covers. Anyone know what torque should be? Didn’t want to crack CF.

·
Super Moderator
6,251 Posts
Might be somewhere in the attachment to the first post on this thread...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I would not recommend Loctite on those screws. Worse would be stripping the bolts when trying to change the rear tire. Only the bottom muffler needs to come off. Use anti seize on the muffler itself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discovered I’m missing 2 screws today. Believe I used Loctite on them when installing CF covers. Anyone know what torque should be? Didn’t want to crack CF.
OEMs are listed at 5 nm. Dont know how that goes with the CF.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure I tightened them at least that much. Guess I’m going to have to check them often. Rather fiddly affair as lining up the holes not easy. Did not use red Loctite, believe I used blue.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine just would not come off changing the tire this last time. Multi-hour ordeal. Painful. I ended up with some new tools though ;)

Not sure what I would have done if I hadn't already purchased the QD to put on but I know I wouldn't locktight them.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
One of the cover bolts was cross threaded on my bike which was discovered when changing out the rear tire the first time. I guess it came that way from the factory. Replaced the bolt.

After I crushed the muffler on my bike, the replacement muffler had different fasteners on the covers. The inside bolts were hex rather than all allen heads. Before installing it on the bike, I took the mufflers off it while on the bench and doused with it anti seize and rechecked all the fasteners. I like the hex bolts on the inside since they are easier to wrench vs trying to insert and allen wrench.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since my bike has 6 inch rear rim and 190 Rossi III, it does require both silencers to come off. Appears I did not use Loctite before, but will this time. Even though I torqued the silencer bolts before, they were also not tight.
My theory is, the CF covers don’t allow tension on the screws like the OEM metal ones do, so they tend to loosen. Though I have replacements on order, I found a spare set of bolts I forgot I ordered.
Maybe when I finally retire, I’ll inventory all my spare parts! LOL

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Since my bike has 6 inch rear rim and 190 Rossi III, it does require both silencers to come off. Appears I did not use Loctite before, but will this time. Even though I torqued the silencer bolts before, they were also not tight.
My theory is, the CF covers don’t allow tension on the screws like the OEM metal ones do, so they tend to loosen. Though I have replacements on order, I found a spare set of bolts I forgot I ordered.
Maybe when I finally retire, I’ll inventory all my spare parts! LOL
Do what you want. I'd get the proper rear rim and tire but wouldn't use loctite, I'd use anti-seize. I thought the rear wheel was 6 in from factory (?). I wouldn't think it would matter getting only bottom muffler off.

The advantage with the SS is being able to use smaller tire for quicker handling. Why have a 190? <slower handling> The bigger issue is getting that muffler off. The factory cross threaded those covers on my bike.

Since I've had two factory mufflers, I've explained the different fasteners over the model years.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, didn’t want to start big discussion of tire size, rim size or even the best oil, LOL. I’m going to try blue Loctite and can’t think of reason not too. Silencer covers are decorative (mostly), so not a big deal. Seems like a lock washer might also work.
Only posted to see if others had similar issue.
Stock wheel rear is 5.5 inch cast. I’m currently running 1098 forged Marchesini, lighter, stronger wheel and is 6 inch wide rear. (And prettier, I believe).
Personally, I like how the 190 tire in rear handles.

Reactions: Miweber929

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Cool PF. Those wheels are beauties. The only reason I mentioned the antisieze is that those bolts are a pain to get off when they're stuck or crossthreaded. And the covers have to come off pulling the pipes to change the tires. Having done it a few times with those allen heads ....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Point well made, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts