Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became interested in the new V4 Multistrada, but the 19 in front wheel didn't entice me. Most of my rides are about 500 mi on secondary and twisty roads. I like the idea of having cruise control, but I would only use it on the freeways; therefore I don't need radar and adaptive cruise control. I have noticed the rebates on 2019 and 2020 new Multistradas are causing me to look hard at trading in my SuperSport S. I am test riding a 2020 1260 S this afternoon. Even though I am 71, I am not sure if the more upright riding position is for me. The handlebars seem too high also, but they may be better for standing and riding. It looks like the handlebar risers can be exchanged to lower the handlebar height. They also have a low seat that will drop the seat height almost 1 in. The 5.3 gal fuel tank will be welcomed for the remote rides like those I do in Death Valley and Southern Oregon.

One of the hardest things to overcome is the Multistrada is not nearly as beautiful as the SuperSport. Everybody that I have talked to that owns a Multistrada raves about the comfort. The extra power would be nice, but the SuperSport has more than adequate power for me since I don't go to the track.

While I was at the dealer I sat on a V4 Streetfighter and was shocked at how the riding position was noticeably more upright than on my SuperSport.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I traded the SuperSport for a 2020 1260 S Multistrada. It accelerates faster but I don't seem to feel the torque in the same way as the SuperSport. 6th gear is fairly tall; so, I will ride in 5th until I get over 65 mph. The SuperSport was quite happy in 6th at lower speeds. The cruise control makes me really happy. Using the clutch disengages it; so, the DQS allows shifting and keeping the cruise control engaged. The side cases are larger and waterproof, but I need a key to open them. They are easy to remove and there is no ugly bracket to look at when the side cases are removed. I liked the SuperSport panniers even though they were overpriced because they could be opened without a key. I don't need a key or FOB to ride the Multistrada because I can use a PIN to start it. The key is needed for fueling and for the luggage. I ordered auxiliary lights and an electronic fuel cap allowing the cap to be opened without a key. I am looking forward to riding at night and seeing how well the lights follow curves.

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
@gnelson Congrats!

Little surprised to hear low end torque of the 1260 feels less(?) than the SS. Perhaps in addition to 6th as you’ve mentioned, the gearing is higher across all the gears compared with the SS.

It’s been a long while since I’ve ridden a 1260, but I remember it being very quick. And easy to wheelie with all that power.

We hope you’ll stay with us!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Ed K I looked at the torque curves for the Multistrada. The curve is fairly flat from 4000 rpm and higher. I think I was just imagining the feel. The feel may also be because the SS is lighter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I own a Supersport S and love it. Ridden it over 20,000kms and all over the western United States. I am 6’2” and it a bit small but still the best bike I’ve ever owned.

I rode the 1260s multistrada from San Fran to Death Valley and back. It’s the better bike for touring and comfort. It’ll do everything comfortably. Even with the larger size it is still a super bike.

haven recently ridden and reviewed the new Streetfighter I was really impressed with that! With a good windscreen it would be good enough to tour.

In the next year or two I’ll probably end up with the pikes peak 1260s Multistrada. it just works better For the long rides but I know I’ll miss the beauty of the supersport. It’s a gorgeous bike and multi just isn’t. Not compared to the Supersport.

you Won’t regret the trade in Gnelson!

Multistrada 1260S review
Streetfighter review

1 - 6 of 6 Posts