Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Really happy to be joining the club as an owner of a 2021 950S. I'm a 39 year old animator in the video game industry in Vancouver.

It was a strange journey that led me to purchase the Supersport. Having completed my motorcycle training course a little over a month ago, I wrestled with the decision to either buy a used less powerful bike to learn on, or buying a new bike with all the bells and whistles. In the end I decided to just get the bike I wanted....which at the time was a 2021 Yamaha MT09 SP, the other close choices being the Supersport and the Ninja 1000SX.

I called the Yamaha dealer and was told they had two MT09s in their inventory, one which had been sitting in the showroom for a few months, and one that was currently being assembled. I told the salesman that I would prefer the one being assembled, and he brushed that off and told me he would send the bike to their location that was closer to me so that I could test ride it, that should have been a red flag.

I went to the dealership for the test ride and immediately noticed some scuffs on the swingarm and a light scratch on the tank. I wasn't overly concerned as it looked like something that could be easily buffed out. I enjoyed the test ride and I decided I wanted an MT09, but asked if I might see the one being assembled, as the one I rode had the scratches. The salesman immediately launched into a defensive tirade and accused me of having scratched it during my test ride. I was furious and demanded a refund of my test ride deposit.

After mulling it over for a few days I decided to look at the Supersport once again, as my friend who owns a Streetfighter V4S and Panigale had always been telling me to just go with Ducati and that he only ever receives the best service at the dealership. Indeed that was the case and they had a 2021 white Supersport 950S, just the colour and spec I wanted, that they had just discounted in advance of the 2022 models coming in. My wife had also been telling me to just get the Ducati, as she knew I liked the look of it the most out of the 3 bikes I was considering. She also felt the most comfortable riding as a pillion on the Supersport out of the 3 bikes! I sat on it in the parking lot and as soon as the engine turned on and I heard that growl, my mind was made up.

And so here I am! One week after being committed to buying the MT09, I am the owner of a Ducati instead. I will be taking delivery early next week and I can't wait to get out there. If you are in Vancouver as well I hope to see you around!

Wheel Tire Shoe Vehicle Helmet

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome to the club! The Ducati brand is definitely different to other motorcycle ones and the range full of exotic and special bikes. You’ll love the SuperSport the more you ride it.
what sort of riding are you planning? Commuting, weekend/evening blasts or touring?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There is so much information available on here, so no matter how trivial your question about the bike or how to do something, fire away (y)

Reactions: Trancepotato

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
@Trancepotato Welcome! Very glad you joined us! The SuperSport is a very special bike, and you’re going to love it!

And there’s such beautiful riding country in your area that I’ve had the pleasure of touring though. If you have a chance, as it’s convenient, you might post a few pics of the beautiful, seemingly endless mountain roads in Western Canada for Forum Members! Fond riding memories!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello and welcome. I had that same type of choice and I regret even giving the CBR600RR the time of day in my head for those few hours before going for the 950S. I think some of us may be biased, but we truly believe that the Supersport is special kind of bike that uses the class type as it's name. Sure, it's heavy and doesn't have the most power... but it feels amazing to ride around on the street. Enjoy the riding.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Enjoy your new bike. Since you're a first time rider, practice your skills, open parking lots are great. Particularly work on maneuvering, cornering and braking. Also practice emergency stopping. Remember to be seen in traffic, stay out of blind spots, and don't go faster that you can see to stop (don't over drive your vanishing point ahead).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the welcomes! I will have many questions about the bike, I have no doubt. It's great to have so much info readily available!

Welcome to the club! The Ducati brand is definitely different to other motorcycle ones and the range full of exotic and special bikes. You’ll love the SuperSport the more you ride it.
what sort of riding are you planning? Commuting, weekend/evening blasts or touring?
I mostly plan on leisure riding, no commuting as of now since my company moved to full remote due to the pandemic. I would love to do some light touring, which was why the Supersport and Ninja 1000sx initially caught my eye and likewise with the MT09, if only because it had cruise control and from the reviews I'd read was a comfortable bike. I'm all about comfort with my vehicles these days. Comfort but also good power! I was also looking at the RS660 but the new model gremlins it was having put me off, and I couldn't quite get on board with Aprilia's rather loud paint jobs.

@Trancepotato Welcome! Very glad you joined us! The SuperSport is a very special bike, and you’re going to love it!

And there’s such beautiful riding country in your area that I’ve had the pleasure of touring though. If you have a chance, as it’s convenient, you might post a few pics of the beautiful, seemingly endless mountain roads in Western Canada for Forum Members! Fond riding memories!
I will certainly get some photos of the places I plan on riding to! I am a bit of a shutterbug so I hope to have many videos and photos of the adventures I'm going to have on this bike, and will be happy to share!

Hello and welcome. I had that same type of choice and I regret even giving the CBR600RR the time of day in my head for those few hours before going for the 950S. I think some of us may be biased, but we truly believe that the Supersport is special kind of bike that uses the class type as it's name. Sure, it's heavy and doesn't have the most power... but it feels amazing to ride around on the street. Enjoy the riding.
I know I made the right choice as well. The only thing that pushed the Yamaha above the Ducati for me was the cruise control. Being someone who does exhaustive research on expensive purchases I think I developed a bit of a complex when it came to cruise control. I had read so many posts and comments on forums and Youtube about it being a life changer and so great that I told myself, "Well my bike has to have cruise control!" But in the end everything I like about the bike outweighs that one lacking aspect. Perhaps a few years from now the next Supersport will have it and I'll just switch to that!

Enjoy your new bike. Since you're a first time rider, practice your skills, open parking lots are great. Particularly work on maneuvering, cornering and braking. Also practice emergency stopping. Remember to be seen in traffic, stay out of blind spots, and don't go faster that you can see to stop (don't over drive your vanishing point ahead).
Thanks for the advice! Certainly for the foreseeable future I'll most likely be found in parking lots and quiet neighbourhoods getting familiar with the bike. I also plan on riding exclusively in rain mode until I feel like I am a competent rider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Certainly for the foreseeable future I'll most likely be found in parking lots and quiet neighbourhoods getting familiar with the bike. I also plan on riding exclusively in rain mode until I feel like I am a competent rider.
I lasted one day in Urban mode :) Even with the break-in buzzkill, I still had a lot of fun working my way through the modes. I went Urban, touring, then sport to get a feel of them all. Now I have Touring set up custom for a good balance between hoon-ability and commuting comfort. I only use Sport mode for early morning twisties thrashing as the throttle response is too sensitive for regular or heavy traffic. Once you feel comfortable with the default modes, be sure to dive in and customize a mode to your liking. The default settings help to act as a baseline and then tweak from there.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
529 Posts
Welcome to the Supersport Club. My daughter lives in Vancouver and I was just there for her wedding in Sept. While visiting I spent 3 days on the island in Victoria. All I could say was "man I wish I had my Supersport here" You are very lucky to be living in such a beautiful place to ride, especially with this bike !!! Enjoy it, you will love this bike.:love:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've never seen a potato that could ride, let alone a potato in a trance! Sheesh!

So why that interesting & humorous username?

Welcome; glad to hear you made the right choice!

-Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've never seen a potato that could ride, let alone a potato in a trance! Sheesh!

So why that interesting & humorous username?

Welcome; glad to hear you made the right choice!

-Tom
haha It's not that interesting of a story. Back when the internet first arrived when I was a kid, I found the entire concept stupid, and the first time I tried using an online chatroom I decided to use a stupid name which was Bakedpotato.
That just stuck and I used Bakedpotato as my video game and general online handle for years.

When I got to art school I had a teacher from Iran who couldn't pronounce my name which is Terence, and he always made it sound like Trance, which is what my classmates started to call me. Thus I decided to make my further online handles Trancepotato.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts