Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
... I decided to use a stupid name which was Bakedpotato.
That just stuck and I used Bakedpotato as my video game and general online handle for years.

When I got to art school I had a teacher from Iran who couldn't pronounce my name which is Terence, and he always made it sound like Trance, which is what my classmates started to call me. Thus I decided to make my further online handles Trancepotato.
Well it was interesting to me at least. Glad to know the etymology there, Trance 🤪 otherwise I'd have always wondered.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Welcome, brother.

Here’s your cruise control - Throttle Rocker – Motorcycle Cruise Control and Assist

Don’t be in a hurry to buy and use that…you need some experience first before you add it.

On that note, invest in yourself and get some high quality training, too. The basic rider course teaches some useful principles and basic controls but limits you to a parking lot and tame cone drills. Not many riders get injured in parking lots negotiating orange cones. You bought a high performance bike so it’s only fitting that you find a high performance school that will teach you how to think like an onboard engineer, ride safely at speed and use the controls to their best potential.

Make sure to get quality protective apparel…ankles, heels, knees, hips, spine, elbows, shoulders, hands and head.

Helluva first bike! Big congratulations.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Don't ride it in rain mode. Practice in S.

The bike isn't that powerful. Learn to feel the bike.
For someone to tell you that the bike isn’t that powerful… is nothing short of irresponsible.
But if someone doesn’t ride it wide open from 2nd gear to 5th between 5000 and 9000 rpm’s… they’ll never know.

This bike is basically the same bhp and torque as my 996…. Which was a world class, race winning super bike.
It’s powerful.

Ride within your limits, wear leather and armor. Better to sweat than bleed, eh?
When you’re shopping helmets, ask yourself “do I have a $200 head, or an $800 head”.

After you’re getting a little comfy, sign up for a couple of track days and take the advanced rider classes. You will learn to be super quick with life saving skills.
Most of all, ride it, enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Trance, one additional recommendation. The clutch on these bikes can be pretty grabby upon startups. Make sure you do a few start and stops carefully before trying to do any difficult maneuvering. Once the clutch is warmed up, it's pretty linear.

My advice is to be cautious when moving from a "cold" stop and killing the bike being careful not to drop it. After a couple starts from a dead stop the clutch will be warm and less grabby. It's also a two cylinder engine so it's a little easier to kill the engine vs a multi cylinder. Otherwise it makes linear power and is a pretty controllable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
LOL, was that not the visual pun? Or was I mistaken?
Alas I'm not that clever!

Welcome, brother.

Here’s your cruise control - Throttle Rocker – Motorcycle Cruise Control and Assist

Don’t be in a hurry to buy and use that…you need some experience first before you add it.

On that note, invest in yourself and get some high quality training, too. The basic rider course teaches some useful principles and basic controls but limits you to a parking lot and tame cone drills. Not many riders get injured in parking lots negotiating orange cones. You bought a high performance bike so it’s only fitting that you find a high performance school that will teach you how to think like an onboard engineer, ride safely at speed and use the controls to their best potential.

Make sure to get quality protective apparel…ankles, heels, knees, hips, spine, elbows, shoulders, hands and head.

Helluva first bike! Big congratulations.
Thanks for the recommendation, I've read through a few threads here about the throttle locks. I certainly won't be in a hurry for it. Honestly it's just something that got into my head too much. It'll be some time before I even consider a long trip that would necessitate something like cruise control.

I'm definitely considering some more training, and I certainly broke the bank when it comes to the gear. I didn't realize at the time when I decided to get into motorcycling that I would also have to buy a set of gear for my wife! haha On the plus side now that she has her own set of gear she too is going to take the motorcycle course.

For someone to tell you that the bike isn’t that powerful… is nothing short of irresponsible.
But if someone doesn’t ride it wide open from 2nd gear to 5th between 5000 and 9000 rpm’s… they’ll never know.

This bike is basically the same bhp and torque as my 996…. Which was a world class, race winning super bike.
It’s powerful.

Ride within your limits, wear leather and armor. Better to sweat than bleed, eh?
When you’re shopping helmets, ask yourself “do I have a $200 head, or an $800 head”.

After you’re getting a little comfy, sign up for a couple of track days and take the advanced rider classes. You will learn to be super quick with life saving skills.
Most of all, ride it, enjoy it.
I appreciate all the recommendations, I'll be taking it slow. It'll be Urban mode for me until I really feel comfortable. I'm about as ATGATT as it gets, I'm fully geared up, grabbed a Shoei NXR, Revit Convex jacket, added the CE2 back protector, Revit riding jeans, bought the additional hip armor, Daytona Road Star boots and some Five full gauntlet gloves. I do a lot of road biking, never ride with no helmet! Riding a bicycle in traffic has made me as paranoid as it gets.

Trance, one additional recommendation. The clutch on these bikes can be pretty grabby upon startups. Make sure you do a few start and stops carefully before trying to do any difficult maneuvering. Once the clutch is warmed up, it's pretty linear.

My advice is to be cautious when moving from a "cold" stop and killing the bike being careful not to drop it. After a couple starts from a dead stop the clutch will be warm and less grabby. It's also a two cylinder engine so it's a little easier to kill the engine vs a multi cylinder. Otherwise it makes linear power and is a pretty controllable.
That is a great tip thanks for that! I will keep that in mind for sure. First thing I'm gunna do is a lot of starts and stops in the parkade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello! Really happy to be joining the club as an owner of a 2021 950S. I'm a 39 year old animator in the video game industry in Vancouver.

It was a strange journey that led me to purchase the Supersport. Having completed my motorcycle training course a little over a month ago, I wrestled with the decision to either buy a used less powerful bike to learn on, or buying a new bike with all the bells and whistles. In the end I decided to just get the bike I wanted....which at the time was a 2021 Yamaha MT09 SP, the other close choices being the Supersport and the Ninja 1000SX.

I called the Yamaha dealer and was told they had two MT09s in their inventory, one which had been sitting in the showroom for a few months, and one that was currently being assembled. I told the salesman that I would prefer the one being assembled, and he brushed that off and told me he would send the bike to their location that was closer to me so that I could test ride it, that should have been a red flag.

I went to the dealership for the test ride and immediately noticed some scuffs on the swingarm and a light scratch on the tank. I wasn't overly concerned as it looked like something that could be easily buffed out. I enjoyed the test ride and I decided I wanted an MT09, but asked if I might see the one being assembled, as the one I rode had the scratches. The salesman immediately launched into a defensive tirade and accused me of having scratched it during my test ride. I was furious and demanded a refund of my test ride deposit.

After mulling it over for a few days I decided to look at the Supersport once again, as my friend who owns a Streetfighter V4S and Panigale had always been telling me to just go with Ducati and that he only ever receives the best service at the dealership. Indeed that was the case and they had a 2021 white Supersport 950S, just the colour and spec I wanted, that they had just discounted in advance of the 2022 models coming in. My wife had also been telling me to just get the Ducati, as she knew I liked the look of it the most out of the 3 bikes I was considering. She also felt the most comfortable riding as a pillion on the Supersport out of the 3 bikes! I sat on it in the parking lot and as soon as the engine turned on and I heard that growl, my mind was made up.

And so here I am! One week after being committed to buying the MT09, I am the owner of a Ducati instead. I will be taking delivery early next week and I can't wait to get out there. If you are in Vancouver as well I hope to see you around!

View attachment 44140
Congratulations!!! I got the same !!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts