Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally arrived!
First impressions...yes the mirrors buzz at some revs , and don't really provide much visibility when they are clear. I'm used to bar ends so am spoiled by better rear view.

Neutral is NO problem at all , the TFT Rocks . I haven't tried the quick shifter yet.

It does get a bit warm at stoplights , but not unbearable yet.

It requires MUCH more throttle to engage the clutch in 1st, (especially cold) than any bike I've ridden in 50 years. ( seems it starts to roll at about 2800 rpm) I can see why people put on the 14 tooth primary sprocket. I'll consider this at the first service.

The stock exhaust is plenty loud for me. I rode the 15 miles home without earplugs just to see what she really sounded like.

They did mentioned there were 2 software updates already! ( installed at delivery )

Looking forward to getting to know her much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks stunning. Can you expand a bit on the throttle? Like, is there more free-play, or just likes a lot of throttle to take off in first?

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks stunning. Can you expand a bit on the throttle? Like, is there more free-play, or just likes a lot of throttle to take off in first?
Not really any free play , but at least at first wouldn't really bite until about 2800 . It improved somewhat when warmed up . I have the throttle spacer fix on my Triumph ( they used the same control) and it does get rid of the small free play , but it isn't as pronounced on the Ducati.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I never take off until I see about 50-60C on the temp gauge and that's fine. But I also wonder if a well run-in bike will not have as bad a clutch problem?

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
When I first bought mine, the dealer recommended not riding off until the temperature registered on the dash (if you are showing oil temperature).

I've never had any trouble with mine, but I roll to the garage door after starting, press the gate opener button on the 'bars, and because it's downhill, roll through the gate. It's easier to push the button for the gate if it doesn't open, otherwise, I have to pull in the clutch, find neutral, press the gate button, engage a gear etc etc etc. Then, because I'm on ball bearings dirt I take it easy for a mile or so, until I reach the blackstuff. Coming home, I spend a fair while waiting to get out the gate from work so everything is pretty warm.

I must say, however, I've never had any problems with the clutch, feeling the takeup point, riding off. I've done nearly 35,000 ks now without a clutch glitch, but I notice the 950 has a hydraulic clutch, so there must have been some issues.

Reactions: Boe

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Every vehicle has it's idiosyncrasies, my Porsche likes to be at 175 before going into Sport / Sport plus . As it's new ( only 50 miles) it's more a matter of acclimating to it. Once she's warmed up , everything is fine.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Die besten Wünsche von mir für den 950 S. Ich denke bereits darüber nach, die neue Generation zu bekommen.:) :) :)
Translated: Best wishes from me for the 950 S. I'm already thinking about getting the new generation

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got my first real Ride in this afternoon, 100 mile Mountain loop. I'm quite impressed with the overall package, when in motion the temp stays 154-163F got stuck in traffic on the way home . Sitting at long stoplights , 205F and toasty thighs , although not the seat. Within 1/2 mile of moving it cools right off, so the Fairing upgrade works from that level.

While my Thruxton TFC has the same forks , brakes and similar rear shocks ( dual olins) the ride on the 950 is much nicer. It seems to seek more speed , and loves it. The Triumph has just a touch more HP (5) and quite a bit more low end , but it's 250cc bigger. It's happier to loaf along at 3500 , or growl to life at 4000 up. All in all it's great to have the pair , Old school vs new but both gems.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You are saying the Thruxton is faster?
The Thruxton is a 1965 Cafe Racer with the latest modern bits ( Ohlins forks/shocks , Brembo's , carbon fiber body) by 1965 measure it's amazing. The one thing it does better is lope along on lazy backroads . It holds it's own when pushed , but won't keep up with The Ducati, which is thoroughly modern and is capable of much more in many ways. The TFC which I'm lucky to have has more power than the standard R/RS . Mine has Arrow race headers and a good tune, no cat. I think of them as bookends , one representing when I started riding 51 years ago , and the other the state of the Art for a modern twin.
TFC vs 950S.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I am familiar with the Thruxton, a friend had a Gen 1. So you're saying the Ducati is faster?

I knew the Duc was a bunch faster than the Gen 1 bike but didn't know about the Gen 2. When were saying the Gen 2 had more power, I just wondered how the Duc compared to the Gen 2. Actually the newer Thruxtons aren't the same as the 1965 T-120 model. Both generations are modern motorcycles.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts