Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The pre 2016 Thruxtons were 900's and grossly under powered. The 1200's are much more fun. The RS and TFC break the 100hp barrier and are fairly modern except for the frame. The TFC even with the Ohlins NIX 30 and piggy back dual rears doesn't quite measure up to the Duc in handling, although it is lighter and a bit more flickable. It's running a 160 out back vs the 180. Both are wonderful in their own way. I had considered selling the TFC when the Ducati arrived , as they are SO different in character, I've decided to keep it as a wonderful compliment to the stable.

Reactions: Sprint1500

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The pre 2016 Thruxtons were 900's and grossly under powered.
Not sure I would say grossly underpowered, but they were choked back as they came from the factory. A set of TOR pipes, TTP Stage 1 tune, airbox flap removal, replace the airbox snorkel and a bit of suspension work like TEC fork springs and shocks and you have a very decent handling corner carver with a ton of torque. Not comparable to a 1200 but for the money you can get those things at they are very fun bikes.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
stock the 900's ran 69hp and 53 lbs ft of torque. Fun but not very sporty stock

Reactions: Miweber929

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
stock the 900's ran 69hp and 53 lbs ft of torque. Fun but not very sporty stock
I’ve always seen even a bit less than 69hp, more like 60-65 but with the changes I outlined you’re just about 75-80hp, not earth shattering but like I said, certainly not grossly underpowered. A nice boost on torque as well. Using 3rd and 4th gears was a fun way to ride the torque curve, they were sweet road bikes.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I’ve always seen even a bit less than 69hp, more like 60-65 but with the changes I outlined you’re just about 75-80hp, not earth shattering but like I said, certainly not grossly underpowered. A nice boost on torque as well. Using 3rd and 4th gears was a fun way to ride the torque curve, they were sweet road bikes.
In the twisties , 3rd is perfect . The TFC with full Ohlins/Brembo's and 109 hp at the wheel is very entertaining .

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
Ducati Supersport S
6 Posts
Finally arrived!
First impressions...yes the mirrors buzz at some revs , and don't really provide much visibility when they are clear. I'm used to bar ends so am spoiled by better rear view.

Neutral is NO problem at all , the TFT Rocks . I haven't tried the quick shifter yet.

It does get a bit warm at stoplights , but not unbearable yet.

It requires MUCH more throttle to engage the clutch in 1st, (especially cold) than any bike I've ridden in 50 years. ( seems it starts to roll at about 2800 rpm) I can see why people put on the 14 tooth primary sprocket. I'll consider this at the first service.

The stock exhaust is plenty loud for me. I rode the 15 miles home without earplugs just to see what she really sounded like.

They did mentioned there were 2 software updates already! ( installed at delivery )

Looking forward to getting to know her much better.
Congratulation on the new wheels!

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
500 miles in and I'm loving it more each ride..I've noticed the engine temp while moving is roughly 100 F greater than ambient . The "lazy" handling cited in some of the You tube reviews matches my style well . Really looking forward to post break in when I can use all she has.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
After I purchased my bike and rode it 200 miles home, I was concerned about the engine heat. When I was in traffic, the bike got hot and then the dash would default to coolant temperature notice. The later was a point of concern as I thought it was a warning. At the first stop, I called the dealer service and was assured that it was a normal condition and that the fan wouldn't come on until near 220.

For a sanity check, my Corvette has a digital coolant temp menu screen. And likewise, the sweet spot stays in the 210-220 range.

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
it's surprising with as long as cylinder de- activation has been around , they haven't employed while the bike is at rest in traffic .

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
You all prolly do the same: I remind myself every once in a while to clean out the crud that accumulates on, and between, the radiator fins (very carefully so as not bend/crush them!!!) to keep the radiator at maximum efficiency. Softly, mostly with a wet toothbrush, and may include a light water spray (not power wash). Sometimes also use wooden toothpicks to carefully pick out things the soft brush doesn’t get.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
it's surprising with as long as cylinder de- activation has been around , they haven't employed while the bike is at rest in traffic .
I would imagine it wouldn’t idle very well, if at all. My old Superhawk used to lose the front cylinder in extremely heavy rain and I remember it dying at stoplights unless I kept it spinning above 3K or so. Both my Silverado and Blazer have the cylinder drop out, and my Blaser has the auto stop where it shuts completely off, and at idle all cylinders work if it’s running.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You all prolly do the same: I remind myself every once in a while to clean out the crud that accumulates on, and between, the radiator fins (very carefully so as not bend/crush them!!!) to keep the radiator at maximum efficiency. Softly, mostly with a wet toothbrush, and may include a light water spray (not power wash). Sometimes also use wooden toothpicks to carefully pick out things the soft brush doesn’t get.
The Evotech Radiator Guard not only prevents stones damaging the radiator but also stops crud and flies etc getting plastered all over the radiator. I take the guard off twice a year to gently clean the the radiator fins with a toothbrush and paintbrush and there is hardly anything on the radiator

Reactions: Ed K and Duluthian

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@Triplesapper As you’ve mentioned, it’s helpful to take the Evotech radiator (and oil cooler) guards off periodically for cleaning.

·
Registered
892 Posts
@Triplesapper As you’ve mentioned, it’s helpful to take the Evotech radiator (and oil cooler) guards off periodically for cleaning.
Thanks Ed K. I was aware of this. I have not had any issues with the wear that has been noted in the above post, nor with the build up of crud at the bottom of the Evotech Oil Cooler Guard. Maybe the roads are cleaner in Wales :)

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
She reminds me a lot of my dearly departed FJR1300 , The Duc is a lot lighter and with better handling and more soul .
1055.JPG

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
a riding buddy has an FJR. A couple of years ago we rode down to COTA for the GP. He filled up at every other gas stop but he made use of the bathroom each time. He got better gas mileage and had plenty of go. When were riding the Three Sisters the SS shined.

Unfortunately, the gray Yama could cruse fast but the red bike always gets pulled over. :mad:

21 - 38 of 38 Posts