Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Stunning views - I bet it was a great ride out (y)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
It's always more reassuring going up hill than relying on hard braking going down.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks, Nort_no! What's the potential of putting together a week+ tour route through Norway and elsewhere in Scandinavia? I rode ten days through the Alps (mostly) last year which was fantastic, and I've been wondering what might be my next Euro ride...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
@LowRyter Using DQS for downshifts reduces the need for hard braking. Trail braking is usually all that is necessary for downhill curves.
I find that in the twisties that I can leave it in 4th but have no issues shifting down. I do like some engine braking but do it the old fashioned way, blipping and clutching.

Whereabouts do you ride in the hills? Steep is steep. But going down can get your attention, uphill a little more forgiving

·
Registered
366 Posts
I find that in the twisties that I can leave it in 4th but have no issues shifting down. I do like some engine braking but do it the old fashioned way, blipping and clutching.

Whereabouts do you ride in the hills? Steep is steep. But going down can get your attention, uphill a little more forgiving
@LowRyter Almost all my routes include mountains. I just did the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway in MT and WY. I often ride to Oatman, AZ on Historic Route 66 with a mountain pass and many hairpins. Going to Tecopa, CA I encounter hairpins going over a pass. If I continue through Death Valley there is a nice mountain pass beyond Panamint Springs. Between Reno and Virginia City is a nice road with mountain curves. I often ride through the National Parks in Utah with many mountain roads.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Bet that is nice stuff. Most of my steep riding are in the NM - CO Rockies, TX Hill Country and Ozarks. I haven't gotten the SS to the Rockies yet. Downhill hairpin will get your attention, definitely gear down and brake (with some rear brake too).

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
@LowRyter Almost all my routes include mountains. I just did the Beartooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway in MT and WY. I often ride to Oatman, AZ on Historic Route 66 with a mountain pass and many hairpins. Going to Tecopa, CA I encounter hairpins going over a pass. If I continue through Death Valley there is a nice mountain pass beyond Panamint Springs. Between Reno and Virginia City is a nice road with mountain curves. I often ride through the National Parks in Utah with many mountain roads.
Some of my all time favs too...

Although riding the Icefields Parkway in Canada is amongst those also...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, Nort_no! What's the potential of putting together a week+ tour route through Norway and elsewhere in Scandinavia? I rode ten days through the Alps (mostly) last year which was fantastic, and I've been wondering what might be my next Euro ride...
Hi, sorry for late reply here... Norway , when the weather is good, it is a fantastic place to ride. Ten day trip, my suggestion is go along the west coast up north to Bodø and turn into sweden for the route south again. But there are noe problem spending the whole ten days in Norway. Depending on how long distance you are putting inn each day. Geiranger(ass shown in the photo ) is one of the most visited places during summer, so for `activ `riding, it might not be that good. On the other hand, the speeding tickets here in Norway are insane... so that activ riding is something you should be careful about. I am glad to help you with some destinations if you are going(or maybe you already went ;-) Just give me an email and i will respond to that.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
10 months later answer :D I appreciate you did this haha. But ok, something useful to write. It's true that in Norway you can make a camp anywhere with a rule - not too close to any house, yes? I would like to make a trip too, depending on time I step by step add to my notes different things so later I have couple plans for N-E-W-S direction trips. What you can save on fuel (riding with limits) you will spend on food : ) Your prices are out of the world for foreigners but each day there is for life to remember - I'm sure.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, sorry for late reply here... Norway , when the weather is good, it is a fantastic place to ride. Ten day trip, my suggestion is go along the west coast up north to Bodø and turn into sweden for the route south again. But there are noe problem spending the whole ten days in Norway. Depending on how long distance you are putting inn each day. Geiranger(ass shown in the photo ) is one of the most visited places during summer, so for `activ `riding, it might not be that good. On the other hand, the speeding tickets here in Norway are insane... so that activ riding is something you should be careful about. I am glad to help you with some destinations if you are going(or maybe you already went ;-) Just give me an email and i will respond to that.
View attachment 43378
Thanks very much, Nort_no! Those are great suggestions. Our new Euro trip is now looking like September 2022 so I'll circle back to you then (If we go to Scandinavia it might be a little earlier). Let me know if I can return the favor with Northern California routes. The Sierra's offer great riding.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts