Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
RIP to the "Ghost Rider" (Travels on the Healing Road). Forever riding his GS, drumming and writing.

Drink The Macallan to his memory.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Reactions: Ed K and PhilB

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appears several of Neil Peart’s books are available at no charge for a limited time in his honor.

If you haven’t already, you might read Ghost Rider. I did not have the good fortune of meeting Neil, but I rode solo thousands of miles, for similar reasons, through most of the same roads and places Neil describes in this book. Peace, brother.

https://www.audible.com/author/Neil-Peart/B000APH4T0

Another chap who is a friend of mine, also traveled by motorcycle (with his dog) for similar reasons. The places he visited, I also traveled through...and overlap with Neil’s travels as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Both-Ends-Leash-Journey/dp/0996083707/ref=nodl_#customerReviews

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although Neil’s books may be free, it seems to require an Audible Subscription (that can be cancelled, I believe, at no charge during a 30 day trial if one doesn’t want to continue with Audible).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I think Ghost Rider is really a good book. I haven't read his other ones but my brother (Beemer guy) has read them all. He's many years younger than me and a huge Rush Fan. We saw them together about 10 years ago. Funny thing, rather than Geddy having amps behind him, it was several chicken rotisseries like in a supermarket, maybe a couple dozen chickens cooking during the show.

And after the show we went to a bar and had The Macallan whisky as Neal would like.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I Funny thing, rather than Geddy having amps behind him, it was several chicken rotisseries like in a supermarket, maybe a couple dozen chickens cooking during the show.
They started that years ago, Roll the Bones tour, maybe? Sometimes it’s dishwashers, washing machines, blenders, sweeping radar, etc. behind them during their shows. The “wall of amps” has been a sham for 30+ years that people still fall for, I think it shows their level of sophistication and humor to put ridiculous stuff back there rather than the fake wall of amps.

Heck, a lot of musicians don’t even use amp anymore, just speaker cabinet or amp emulators because they are more consistent and don’t fail as often. Otherwise it’s a simply combo amp or two depending on who they are and what they play.

Edit- found this. The chickens cooking were real, refrigerators, vending machines, meat grinders, dryers were filled with T-Shirts, etc.

http://heylivemusic.com/content/rush-rock-n-rolls-most-memorable-stage-props-features-part-2

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Of course "The chickens cooking were real". I was there and saw it. I didn't make it up.

It took half the concert for me to figure out what the **** was spinning around him. After the show my brother told about dryers and tshirts.

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Heck, a lot of musicians don’t even use amp anymore, just speaker cabinet or amp emulators because they are more consistent and don’t fail as often. Otherwise it’s a simply combo amp or two depending on who they are and what they play.
Yes. And it’s amazing what can be done with current DAWs and related equipment...my personal preference is Logic Pro X, that I use in my home studio, but Pro Tools, Cubase are also incredible. Many DAWs are excellent, these days.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Of course "The chickens cooking were real". I was there and saw it. I didn't make it up.
You were there, yeah, I wasn’t doubting that. But I linked an article talking about it and they said how they were REAL ovens cooking REAL chicken with a REAL guy tending them. It wasn’t a prop, fake or just for show, it was a REAL rotisserie oven setup. It would seem all the “props” they used on stage were real based on the article.

THAT was my point.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes. And it’s amazing what can be done with current DAWs and related equipment...my personal preference is Logic Pro X, that I use in my home studio, but Pro Tools, Cubase are also incredible. Many DAWs are excellent, these days.
I gave up all of my old tube amps a while ago and have been playing around with modeling amps probably the past 10 years. I just picked up a Marshall Code to replace my Vox AV50T; while the Vox was a great little practice that did everything but Marshall tones very well, the Marshall I just bought does Marshall well but some of the cleans are a bit of a hit or miss. Once I get a bigger practice area again I’ll go back to tubes, modeling is close but lacks the subtleties the actual tube has at mid/low volume or light picking but for goofing around, they are pretty darn close to the real thing.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You were there, yeah, I wasn’t doubting that. But I linked an article talking about it and they said how they were REAL ovens cooking REAL chicken with a REAL guy tending them. It wasn’t a prop, fake or just for show, it was a REAL rotisserie oven setup. It would seem all the “props” they used on stage were real based on the article.

THAT was my point.
My point was that they were real rotisseries cooking real chicken. I guess I didn't emphasize that point beside actually being there and seeing the show.

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gave up all of my old tube amps a while ago and have been playing around with modeling amps probably the past 10 years. I just picked up a Marshall Code to replace my Vox AV50T; while the Vox was a great little practice that did everything but Marshall tones very well, the Marshall I just bought does Marshall well but some of the cleans are a bit of a hit or miss. Once I get a bigger practice area again I’ll go back to tubes, modeling is close but lacks the subtleties the actual tube has at mid/low volume or light picking but for goofing around, they are pretty darn close to the real thing.
Yes! Agree, digital does not always have all the subtleties of tube, or other analog characteristics, but it keeps getting better and better.

One of the acoustic guitar plug-ins I am using for a song under development has actual analog recordings of a Taylor guitar that sounds amazingly true-to-the-physical-world, when I play it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts