Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Ducati, pretty much always had Honda’s in the past although I’ve had lots of Ducati friends and have lusted after them since my 93 CBR 900rr days when one of my friends had a new 916. Honda doesn’t make a Sport touring bike any longer and neither does any other manufacturer except BMW, and Kawasaki. I considered a Ninja 1000 but it’s almost as heavy as my VFR 1200 with less hp, so in my search I found the Supersport, I have a VFR 1200f non DCT and a beautiful tricked out 2002 Honda RC51 in the stable. Brought a red Supersport S home from AMS in Dallas yesterday. It’s a beautiful work of art. It’s going to be my new Sport Touring bike. Got my insurance this am and just rode it 100 miles. Wow wow wow! So good to be back on a real light weight 450lb Sportbike and it doesn’t hurt me too bad. Right butt cheek gets hot from exhaust but nothing I can’t live with. Needs a higher windscreen. Wind was blowing about 30 mph and the stock screen makes it hit me in the neck even when in the higher position Pretty uncomfortable. It’s got pretty good ergos. Good wind protection from the fairing. Maybe not quite as comfortable as my VFR 1200 but close. So light and nimble. It has a recommended 6000 rpm limit for the first 600 miles. That’s 90mph. Felt like it could cruise at 90+ all day long. It’s faster than my old Superhawk/ Firestorm. Maybe just slightly slower than the VFR but really hard to tell as I haven’t gone past 6000 rpm. Makes a delicious intake howl and the stock exhaust sounds pretty good at lower speeds. Can’t really hear it at higher speeds. Doesn’t sound as good as my RC51 with its Two Bros titanium exhaust and gear driven cams but probably could come close with an exhaust. Feels lighter than the RC 51 and feels like a bicycle compared to the 600 lb 170 hp VFR. Probably not as fast as the RC 51 but even though I was taking it easy for break in, it was plenty for the street. Passes cars in the blink of an eye .Trip odo said I was getting 42 mpg so maybe 160 miles per tank but I wasn’t riding it hard. Very stable in a straight line and needs a pretty good push to get it to turn in. Doesn’t fall into turns like a race bike or the RC 51. More like the VFR in that regard The speedshifter works very well. Never had any issues selecting a gear or neutral. It going to spoil me and no more sore hand from working the clutch on a 500 mile day. Need to add a throttle lock because my 2 hour ride had me wanting to rest my throttle hand. Front brake feels different than any bike I’ve owned almost like there is air in the line for the initial squeeze but then it is rock hard, stopping power is great. Mirrors are buzzy but I can live with it . Pretty vibey engine at 50 to 55 mph in 6th gear, it likes higher revs. Ohlins suspension is very nice and does a good job adsorbing the bumps and washboard ripples from the crappy roads we have around here. Fit and finish is very very good and it’s beautiful to look at. It’s a great bike so far and I think I’m going to like it a lot. Very pleased so far. Waiting on my panniers from Ducati and have a 2000 + mile trip to western Arkansas planed for mid June. Should be very fun on this bike!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Welcome : )
"2000 + mile trip to western Arkansas planed for mid June. Should be very fun on this bike! " 🌟

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Got mine from AMS too. I think you nailed most of the pros and cons. I think you might want AMS to bleed the brakes or need to bed in the pads because the bakes are dang near perfect for the street.

For the rest. The bike is a little anemic. It's over geared. Several of us have dropped the countershaft sprocket a tooth to 14 T.

The mirrors are crap. No way to make them wider but a few of us were using a vibration material between the mirror frame and the edge of the mirror. Search for Sorbothane on the forum.

I have one of those "clothespin" style throttle locks and find it works OK. You'll also note the bike is perfectly stable with the throttle locked, no hands on the bars and wave both hands like Miss America.

I'm also considering NW Ark in early June. Last time there I had a ball in the Ozarks running it in 4th gear, you don't have the saw the gearbox there like on most bikes. If you're interested in meet up, we might have a few takers.

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@Dustdevil Welcome! Very glad you joined us! We love pics, if you have a chance.

We haven’t had many comments on front brake concerns, but please keep us advised.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the Welcomes! And thanks for the tip on how to improve the buzzy mirrors. I will give it a try. I can’t really gauge the power yet because I’m actually trying to follow the breakin(very difficult) I know it won’t be as fast as my VFR which has 90 ft lbs and about 175hp at the crank bit weighs 600 lbs but I’m hoping it will be enough. I had a Superhawk in the late 90s that I put 60,000 miles on and I geared that down one tooth also, before that I had a CBR 900rr that I put 90,000 miles on( I was young then) I loved the twin so much I bought a RC51 but it’s pretty harsh. It’s a great poser bike and it’s fun to confuse Harley riders because most have never seen a loud Honda V twin Sportbike A 150 mile day on it is enough for me. I’ve put 25000 miles on my VFR 1200 and I really like it but I only ride it on long tours. I rarely take it out just for a fun ride and sometimes the Rc51 just seems like too much work. That’s why I wanted the Supersport as a fun bike and a nimble sports tourer for roads like those in Arkansas and the mountains of New Mexico and Arizona. I’m going to try to get 600 miles on it and change the oil and adjust the chain etc before the 7 th which is when I was going to ride up to OKC spend the night and then to Clarksville Arkansas to base out of I live in Midland Texas which has nothing in the way of good roads
Low Ryter it would be great to meet you, there will be 4 of us but only 2 of us ride with any intensity. I was going to go early May but it was nothing but rain. It may be the same this attempt if so we may push the dates a little. I also don’t have my Ducati side cases yet. They won’t be here til mid June (hopefully) so I’ll strap on some old Cortech luggage
I’m not sure if there is private messages for this forum since I just joined but let me know when you are going and hopefully we can meet up. I used to live in Tulsa and rode in Arkansas and SW Mo., SE Oklahoma a lot. Fantastic roads!
I’m not sure I would call the initial sponginess a problem it’s just different. I may bleed the front brakes and see if it makes a difference. The bike stops fine it just has an initial lack of bite and the lever goes about halfway through the available travel. If you release and pull it again it’s hard like I would expect it to be. I’m going to try a Vista lock for the throttle. Hopefully it will work it’s what I’ve always used but I’ve never had a beautiful Ducati before
I’m about a 800 mile round trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
To me the Supersport is pretty much the perfect combination of a Superhawk (I had a 98) and a VFR (I had quite a few over the years) with a dash of the solidity, flickability and sportiness of the 929/954 series (I had one of each) wrapped up in a package Honda could have put together if they were willing to gamble a little, leave a few “rough” edges and not try to be perfect but instead let it have a soul.

Its not perfect, but it’s “just right” in a way that’s hard to describe.

You might get frustrated with its quirks at times and the maintenance costs (annual service, belts and valve adjustments) compared to Japanese offerings but if you learn to roll with it, you’ll love this bike.

Great looking RC51. I’ve always wanted one but every time I’ve thought about picking one up they’ve either been hard to find, beat race bikes or now they are skyrocketing in cost and I just can’t justify yet another bike sitting around. Jealous!!!

Reactions: Oldrider

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Thanks for the Welcomes! And thanks for the tip on how to improve the buzzy mirrors. I will give it a try. I can’t really gauge the power yet because I’m actually trying to follow the breakin(very difficult) I know it won’t be as fast as my VFR which has 90 ft lbs and about 175hp at the crank bit weighs 600 lbs but I’m hoping it will be enough. I had a Superhawk in the late 90s that I put 60,000 miles on and I geared that down one tooth also, before that I had a CBR 900rr that I put 90,000 miles on( I was young then) I loved the twin so much I bought a RC51 but it’s pretty harsh. It’s a great poser bike and it’s fun to confuse Harley riders because most have never seen a loud Honda V twin Sportbike A 150 mile day on it is enough for me. I’ve put 25000 miles on my VFR 1200 and I really like it but I only ride it on long tours. I rarely take it out just for a fun ride and sometimes the Rc51 just seems like too much work. That’s why I wanted the Supersport as a fun bike and a nimble sports tourer for roads like those in Arkansas and the mountains of New Mexico and Arizona. I’m going to try to get 600 miles on it and change the oil and adjust the chain etc before the 7 th which is when I was going to ride up to OKC spend the night and then to Clarksville Arkansas to base out of I live in Midland Texas which has nothing in the way of good roads
Low Ryter it would be great to meet you, there will be 4 of us but only 2 of us ride with any intensity. I was going to go early May but it was nothing but rain. It may be the same this attempt if so we may push the dates a little. I also don’t have my Ducati side cases yet. They won’t be here til mid June (hopefully) so I’ll strap on some old Cortech luggage
I’m not sure if there is private messages for this forum since I just joined but let me know when you are going and hopefully we can meet up. I used to live in Tulsa and rode in Arkansas and SW Mo., SE Oklahoma a lot. Fantastic roads!
I’m not sure I would call the initial sponginess a problem it’s just different. I may bleed the front brakes and see if it makes a difference. The bike stops fine it just has an initial lack of bite and the lever goes about halfway through the available travel. If you release and pull it again it’s hard like I would expect it to be. I’m going to try a Vista lock for the throttle. Hopefully it will work it’s what I’ve always used but I’ve never had a beautiful Ducati before
I’m about a 800 mile round trip to the dealer.
I'll send you a PM, I'm in OKC. But if you're leaving from OKC, we can do a lot better than I-40 and Clarksville. How about hwy 62/ark 74 to Jasper?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me the Supersport is pretty much the perfect combination of a Superhawk (I had a 98) and a VFR (I had quite a few over the years) with a dash of the solidity, flickability and sportiness of the 929/954 series (I had one of each) wrapped up in a package Honda could have put together if they were willing to gamble a little, leave a few “rough” edges and not try to be perfect but instead let it have a soul.

Its not perfect, but it’s “just right” in a way that’s hard to describe.

You might get frustrated with its quirks at times and the maintenance costs (annual service, belts and valve adjustments) compared to Japanese offerings but if you learn to roll with it, you’ll love this bike.

Great looking RC51. I’ve always wanted one but every time I’ve thought about picking one up they’ve either been hard to find, beat race bikes or now they are skyrocketing in cost and I just can’t justify yet another bike sitting around. Jealous!!!
Yes I think you are exactly right. I love Honda’s but their bikes are all quirky now. Most of the Japanese manufacturers are all caught up in the Adv bikes. Which is ok but not my thing. I’m giving Ducati a try. They certainly make the prettiest bikes out there and the all have character which is what I want. Hence the RC51 I love the whine of the gear driven cams. Sounds like it has a supercharger. Also character is the reason I have a VFR 1200 the V4 engine is amazing. Wish is was 150 lbs lighter. Hence the reason I bought a Supersport
Lightweight and lots of character even if it’s not the fastest bike out there. I never had trouble keeping up with anything on my Superhawk and I bet the Supersport will be the same

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
252 Posts
Congrats on the new Red Ride

·
Registered
2021 950 Supersport S
252 Posts
Good idea , the paint is a bit soft . I've been using Meguiars Ceramic and it is amazing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I’ve had my 2021 for about 2 weeks and just turned over 623 miles. I just did the first service minus resetting the service warning light. Thought some folks would like to know you don’t have to remove the fairing. Undo 3 4mm fairing screws and it’s bendy enough to do the whole job without completely removing the fairing. Thank goodness 😅. I put in a new Ducati oil filter and Motul 7100 15w-50 full synthetic. Mesh screen had a few flakes of silicone gasket material. No metal that I could see. The magnetic drain plug just had a small amount of fuzz. Oil was still pretty clean and I could see the bottom of my catch pan. Cleaned and lubed and adjusted the chain too just a very small amount of stretch. Very pleased so far. I also added a 2020 Dark Puig touring screen and it fit perfectly. So those with 950s there is no difference in windscreens from the 2020 and earlier models

·
Super Moderator
7,604 Posts
@Dustdevil Not an insignificant amount of silicone gasket bits caught there, a little concerning, imo.

About a year ago I found a bit when changing the oil, in the oil filler area that I fished out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts