Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - new member, first post.

I have a brand new Supersport 950 (Non S) with ~200 miles on it. I picked it earlier up this week from the only dealer "near" me which is about an hour and a half away.

While out riding this morning, the bike wouldn't start after I stopped to grab a coffee. When hit the starter, the screen would simply go black as though the bike was turned off. The starter wouldn't cycle at all and the engine didn't crank - everything would just turn off for the duration of me holding the starter button down.

I tried it about a dozen times, and then after 5 minutes or so and trying several combos of this:

• Rolled the bike around
  • Kickstand up/down
  • Clutch in/out, making sure the lever was all the way in/out
  • Shifter all over the place (in gear, in neutral, etc)
  • Key in/out, off/on

It finally started normally. Things seem ok now but naturally I'm going to be worried about this happening again every time I turn the bike off and that's opposite of "relaxing morning ride".

If the dealer was closer I'd just swing by but it's ~3+ hours round trip and I'm a busy guy with a family. Is there anything that I can look for/try to reconnect/etc in the meantime? It seemed to me (not a moto mechanic) that either the kickstand or clutch safety switch wasn't working correctly but that's just my armchair idea.

Any insight or ideas would be great. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Others on the board may know better, but it sounds to me as if there isn't enough power in your battery to start the bike. This may not be the case though, as you say you eventually got it started.

Have you tried a trickle charge on the battery.

Welcome to the board ......... not a great welcome to Ducati ownership for you though.

Reactions: Zee and LowRyter

·
Administrator
10,400 Posts
@Seventh Welcome! Very glad you joined us, but sorry to hear of the issue!

Although there have been some cases of a faulty solenoid, and also worn or faulty starter switch on the handlebar, it’s unusual for this to happen with a new bike. And unfortunate with the dealer so far away.

Once it started, were there any warning lights on then dash?

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
A good battery is always a plus. I agree that you've probably tripped one of those nanny switches. There's probably no reason to take it to a repair shop unless it totally fails. They seldom can diagnose an intermittent electrical problem.

After charging the battery, I'd go over and clean the connections and fuses with some contact cleaner and perhaps some insulation grease. Install an SAE quick connect for the battery charger and zip tie it to the engine/frame.

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies!

I checked the connections to the battery and don't see any problems. They also have a little tick made with a grease pen that all of the other major bolts do, so I'm assuming that was part of the pre-sales checkout process as well.

I rode the bike home from the dealer with plenty of pit stops for coffee, photo ops and bio breaks. It was about a 3 hour ride and I didn't run into the issue at all. It started up fine this morning before the ride in question here, and I've been unable to replicate it at the house. Murphy's law will no doubt dictate that it'll happen again either at the furthest point from my house, or at a gas station the next time it starts to rain...

Is there a full service manual available for this bike? I'd like to try and find where the connectors and whatnot are for those nanny switches and see if I can at least make sure nothing is loose. I found a PDF of the owner's manual online and a bunch of dubious Google links for other models' workshop manuals but nothing for my bike.

I do have the trickle charge kit on the way from Amazon, but it hasn't even arrived yet (I ordered it the day I picked the bike up). There were no warning lights on the dash after it did finally start. I'll toss a multimeter on the battery this afternoon and see what it says.

The bike is fantastic otherwise, I'm just hoping this was an anomaly. I really appreciate the replies!

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Sounds more like a bad/loose ground some where, most likely around the battery or starter circuit.

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just saying, but batteries can be faulty even when they show resting voltage of 12.6 volts (full charge). Some issues won’t show up until battery under load. Also, even if clamps are tight, corrosion on posts can interfere with flow of current.

Reactions: Miweber929

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Small update, the dealer is picking the bike up on Thursday to trailer it back to them and diagnose. I know it's pretty hard for technicians to troubleshoot a problem that I can't immediately reproduce (I'm a systems engineer, I know all about this) but hopefully they can figure something out.

On the upside I'm away all weekend, so it's nice to be able to get it done during a time I wouldn't be riding anyway. Great CS from Ducati so far.

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
156 Posts
Hi folks - new member, first post.

I have a brand new Supersport 950 (Non S) with ~200 miles on it. I picked it earlier up this week from the only dealer "near" me which is about an hour and a half away.

While out riding this morning, the bike wouldn't start after I stopped to grab a coffee. When hit the starter, the screen would simply go black as though the bike was turned off. The starter wouldn't cycle at all and the engine didn't crank - everything would just turn off for the duration of me holding the starter button down.

I tried it about a dozen times, and then after 5 minutes or so and trying several combos of this:

• Rolled the bike around
  • Kickstand up/down
  • Clutch in/out, making sure the lever was all the way in/out
  • Shifter all over the place (in gear, in neutral, etc)
  • Key in/out, off/on

It finally started normally. Things seem ok now but naturally I'm going to be worried about this happening again every time I turn the bike off and that's opposite of "relaxing morning ride".

If the dealer was closer I'd just swing by but it's ~3+ hours round trip and I'm a busy guy with a family. Is there anything that I can look for/try to reconnect/etc in the meantime? It seemed to me (not a moto mechanic) that either the kickstand or clutch safety switch wasn't working correctly but that's just my armchair idea.

Any insight or ideas would be great. Cheers!
Loose connection somewhere.

Could be a dodgy fuse.

Did you check?

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm reasonably certain that it's not going to do it again until I get it back home and am the furthest point possible from a convenient place to be stuck, but here's hoping. :D At least I'll look cool posing next to it while stranded - it's such a fantastic looking machine.

Thanks for the replies all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dealer forgot to tighten battery terminals maybe

Or

Ive has a fuse pop up and just barely be touching, sometimes worked, sometimes not, moot point now that dealer has it but, sometimes pull replace all the fuses. I spent some extra and bought lighted fuses to make quick work of checking fuses by just looking at them. they are a little expensive.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts