Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
I've had that switch type failure on my BMW's, was pretty hard to trace it down.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not much of an update, but since it hasn't happened to me in the last like ~50 starts, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and have them diagnose it when I get the first service done. I will of course post up to say hello when I am inevitably stranded somewhere and you can all say I told you so.

Great to know about the starter switch, I will pass that on to the techs too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bought a 2022 Triumph Speed Triple. No issues for the first 1000~ miles. Then it started throwing transmissions faults, engine faults, no QS. Would be fine after flipping switch off and starting again.

Kept happening and I was getting annoyed. Checked the battery. Dealer used the wrong screw on the positive post on the Li-ion battery so the bus bar it has was loose. Swapped screws, tightened. Problem solved.

I know you said you checked the battery terminals, but just letting you know you're not the only one with stupid issues on a new bike, lol.

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm actually bringing the bike in for the 600 mile service tomorrow, and it happened again in my garage. Pardon the crappy phone video, this is what I'm talking about:

I do see a little alert /!\ light on the screen that's not there normally, hopefully that's indicative of something?

On top of that, once I got the bike started it did it again while riding. The bike just shut off on me at ~50mph, and I couldn't pop start it or anything of the sort to get it going. It scared the **** out of me because the rear wheel almost locked up - the bike was off and in gear while movign at speed with the clutch out. I quickly pulled the clutch in so that I could control the bike, but if i was leaning into a spirited corner or something I'm pretty damn sure I'd have lost it.

I pulled the bike over and turned the ignition off/on and it started right back up, then I rode it straight home with my ass cheeks clinched like crazy.

I'm guessing it's perhaps something to do with the key/lock cylinder. Are these smart keys in the bikes, or is there some kind of anti-theft associated with the igntion that prevents the bike from starting? The fact that I couldn't pop start it while rolling along at 50mph is pretty concerning.

This really sucks, but I'm glad it's at least going to the dealer tomorrow...

·
Administrator
10,396 Posts
@Seventh First thought was starter switch as well, but later in the vid you indicated it stopped while riding…so not sure. Hopefully, dealer will detect fault code when they hook it up. You’re probably already thinking this, but show them the vid, too. Let us know!

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah that's my plan. You can see that it has a warning light on the display /!\ that's there when it doesn't start and then goes away when I cycle the key.

The immobilizer kicking on in the middle of riding the thing really scared the **** out of me so I need them to sort this out. If I was in a corner, or going 75 in the left lane on the highway, or any number of situations... Ugh, it could have been a lot worse. :\

·
Registered
149 Posts
Firstly - this is a 'pick up and take to the dealer' issue. In you manual you will find the breakdown number for your area. I only have the European numbers otherwise I'd send it to you for your area. The bike will be picked up and taken to your dealer, just the same as if you had broken down on the road.

I think the fat part of the key has an immobiliser in - but I don't think it will be the immobiliser - once an engine is running they won't cut it as a safety thing. But it does seem to be part of the ignition circuit to kill the whole bike (I still think its part of that slider switch that incorporates the master 'kill' function.)

Well done for the save! Now get on the phone and get this bike recovered!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
@Seventh, when you turned the key in the video I could hear a lot of jingling and metal noises. What other keys do you gave on the ring and what key fob do you have? The symbol makes me think it’s an immobilizer thing, and I’m wondering if some other RF key or item may be blocking or confusing the system.

It’s going in for service which is great, and they most likely find another problem, but I’m curious if that’s a possible issue. For various reasons I only have my bike keys on a their own with only rubber or fabric key fobs, one of them is I’ve heard about immobilizers getting confused over the years if you have multiple keys or metal right by the reader.

Reactions: jasonss

·
Registered
149 Posts
The warning light is a 'generic error'. Pg 100 in the manual. Not very informative but supposedly when there is a 'vehicle error' this will show up. I think a few in this parish have had that occur.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Firstly - this is a 'pick up and take to the dealer' issue. In you manual you will find the breakdown number for your area. I only have the European numbers otherwise I'd send it to you for your area. The bike will be picked up and taken to your dealer, just the same as if you had broken down on the road.

I think the fat part of the key has an immobiliser in - but I don't think it will be the immobiliser - once an engine is running they won't cut it as a safety thing. But it does seem to be part of the ignition circuit to kill the whole bike (I still think its part of that slider switch that incorporates the master 'kill' function.)

Well done for the save! Now get on the phone and get this bike recovered!
I guess it would be a simple try to just use the spare key and see if the problem went away?

·
Registered
2002 900 SSie, 2022 SS 950 S
156 Posts
I guess it would be a simple try to just use the spare key and see if the problem went away?
I really don't think this bike is safe to ride until this is sorted.

As 7th (sorry) says, if it had cut out in a corner, or while overtaking...

As m748 says, get the bike recovered to a dealer.

This is your as* on the line.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just a thought, I notice you have a rather large metal key chain thing on the key. Remove it and see if the problem goes away. Not the first time I see metal objects near the immobilizer antenna causing issues. I have seen people putting metal decorative ring near their ignition switch which will interfere with the immobilizer antenna causing the car not to start.

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I got it to the dealer, and they have a certified master Ducati mechanic on staff. The dude is tall, skinny, has a ponytail and has an Italian accent so I know he's the business, lol.

I used a different key for the trip to the dealership (to rule out my mom's lucky keychain and any transponder issues w/my usual key). The bike wouldn't start in my driveway before I left, and wouldn't start when I got there until I cycled/removed the key a few times.

The good news is that the bike did the no-start thing for him right in the parking lot as he went to check it out. Murphy's law dictates that never happens, so I was stoked that it did it at the dealer. His first impression is that it's a battery issue as well - that's the behavior of the dash when the battery is low, and it would also explain the bike completely cutting out mid-ride.

The not so good news is that when I was "fixing" the problem, all I was doing was moving the key. I wasn't sitting on the bike or rocking anything around or anything that might cause a short or intermittent connection. I just gingerly flipped the key back and forth a few times, out/in a few times and eventually the warning would go away and the bike would start. I'm not a moto mechanic but I'm a reasonably techy/handy dude and that's a head scratcher for me. Transponder receiver on the ignition side, maybe?

I did check all of the connections at the battery side, and I threw the battery on a meter and it was fine. I do have a tender but it shouldn't need it considering that I've been riding the bike every few days. They're going to tear into it and figure it out and told me that I'd get a pretty detailed report as to what the issues is (or hopefully was). If it's a loose connectionI'm guessing it's the connection on the other end of the battery terminals but the fact that I can "fix" the problem without moving the bike at all doesn't really back that up.

I'll report back with what they say in any case!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
@Seventh

I picked a couple of things in your last post. If I understood correctly, you've had an indication of low battery before? I didn't know there was such a dash warning but it's my experience once a motorcycle battery gets weak unless it was a fresh battery that was discharged inadvertently such as leaving the key on or parking light on, It should be replaced.

The other thing that I wonder about, since you've played with the key, perhaps it's the ignition switch?

·
Premium Member
2021 SuperSport 950S
136 Posts
Battery will most likely be what the dealer comes up with, it's the first thing they usually have electrical problems with.
They will probably change it and tell you to try it and see if the problem comes back.
Good thing it happened for the dealer.

·
Registered
2022 Supersport 950
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
@Seventh

I picked a couple of things in your last post. If I understood correctly, you've had an indication of low battery before? I didn't know there was such a dash warning but it's my experience once a motorcycle battery gets weak unless it was a fresh battery that was discharged inadvertently such as leaving the key on or parking light on, It should be replaced.

The other thing that I wonder about, since you've played with the key, perhaps it's the ignition switch?
No indication of low battery - just a few people on here suggested that the battery may be part of the problem. The bike only has 600 miles on it, I've had it just over a month.

The dash warning i'm talking about is the yellow /!\ here, under the odometer:

Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge Measuring instrument

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
No indication of low battery - just a few people on here suggested that the battery may be part of the problem. The bike only has 600 miles on it, I've had it just over a month.

The dash warning i'm talking about is the yellow /!\ here, under the odometer:

View attachment 47091
His first impression is that it's a battery issue as well - that's the behavior of the dash when the battery is low, and it would also explain the bike completely cutting out mid-ride.
OK, I was just unclear about that.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts