Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have new air duct covers in 100% glossy plain weave carbon fiber for sale that I purchased from MotoComposites for $160 + shipping. These are a replacement set that MotoComposites sent me because the original set had poorly manufactured tabs (small hooks that attach to the sub-frame). I just installed the new set to ensure they fit correctly before selling them. I have pictures of them installed on the bike below so you can see the fitment. These are also listed on their website at https://www.motocomposites.com/products/inner-fairings-in-100-carbon-fiber-for-ducati-supersport-2017.html

While waiting (around 6 months) for the replacement set that was in fact demonstrably better than the first, I used a Dremel to fix the tabs (had to open them up a bit) on the original pair and now they fit/look perfect now. I got a bit aggressive with the Dremel and cut into the end a bit that is virtually undetectable once they are on the bike and they fit/look great so I'm fine with keeping them now. None the less they are not 100% perfect so I'm thinking it's easier/best to sell the brand new ones. BTW, while it took a long time, hats off to MotoComposites, they stood behind their product until it was right.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, looking at what I wrote is confusing regarding the price. So I paid $190+shipping, I'm looking for $160. Oh well, good thing I'm an engineer rather than a salesman!

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
Very nice!

Also, looks like both L and R side fairings are aligned perfectly with the front fairing at the join points.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,724 Posts
At the price of these things I'm quite happy with the OEM plastic ones that only cost £44 the pair - about $55 US. :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks real nice, big improvement in looks! Are they actually any lighter than the stock ones?
I suspect they are but I've added these and other CF parts to enhance the finish and beauty of my SS rather than any performance gain. My parts are for someone who has already determined they are going to buy CF air duct covers and want a discount. I know it's a quality part that fits, which is not a given with CF parts.

First time I sat on an SS I was a bit disappointed in the materials/parts used relative to say a Multistrada. Definitely a personal opinion, I really love the bike more than I could have hoped for, but I've corrected this issue now. More than any other CF part I've added (front/rear fenders, key cover, chain/sprocket cover, belt covers, and belly pan) the air duct/key covers have the most impact because they are the most visible when you are on the bike. CF parts are crazy expensive (e.g. $500 CF belly pan) but I'm extremely happy I installed them, added that missing element, so now I have a even bigger smile whenever I walk up, get on the SS, fire it up, and pull away. The little things in life :wink2:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@brucemswan With all that CF, is it poss to post a few pics when you have chance of the bike a few feet back from different angles?
Sure...just installed my panniers for an upcoming trip, so threw those in so you can see how they look as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gorgeous!
Thanks, pics don’t do it justice and I ain’t no photographer. Think I’m done with CF at this point. There’s a fine line between adding highlights and making it look kinda slutty.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Think I’m done with CF at this point. There’s a fine line between adding highlights and making it look kinda slutty.
LoL....truth.

For those that enjoy over-the-top slutty carbon fiber doo-dad photos, check out the Hayabusa on Motocomposite’s splash page.

It makes one wonder what the owner was thinking.....probably a case of more money than sense :grin2: .

·
Registered
834 Posts
Thanks, pics don’t do it justice and I ain’t no photographer. Think I’m done with CF at this point. There’s a fine line between adding highlights and making it look kinda slutty.
Nothing wrong with a little bit of sluttyness. Like you, I just want to change a couple of things, the induct that you did, the key surround, and I wish I could find an overlay for the gas cap, but no luck so far. I’m not interested in changing anything white, I just think that would take away from the gorgeous of the bike overall. :wink2:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

We have similar taste. I’ve got a bunch of CF too and the CW exhaust, but don’t have those air runners. Tempting.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Not sure if you're still a member here as I have been away for a couple years...are these still for sale?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Audi didn't think you were still around. In any event, I have them but decided to keep them as spares. You might try to guys in Canada, MotoComposites, that's where I got mine. They make a nice difference in fit/finish of the bike.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hey Audi didn't think you were still around. In any event, I have them but decided to keep them as spares. You might try to guys in Canada, MotoComposites, that's where I got mine. They make a nice difference in fit/finish of the bike.
Hey I missed your reply somehow. I was away from the forums for a couple years. My bike was written off when I was riding to work on a cool morning. Lost the front traction and low sided going around one of the first corners from my house. Wasn't riding aggressively at the time, just cold tires and cold pavement. Lesson learned hopefully. Picking up a replacement next weekend!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts