Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second bike, but I only had my first bike for a few weeks. I want to know what I need to do to maintain my Supersport. Is there a list and if so how often do I need to do maintenance. Just to let you know I’m a complete newb and have no mechanic experience, which means I have no tools

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you're new to motorcycle ownership and new to Ducati, I would recommend sticking to having the dealer do all the maintenance for you. Check your tire pressure, oil and coolant levels per the manual before every ride. Wash the bike when it's cold with a gentle hand using soap and warm water, dry with your softest terry towel. Clean/lube the chain every 200-500 miles.

Otherwise, have the dealer do the rest at the annual service intervals. Most dealerships have service discounts in the winter months as their mechanics get bored with nothing to do. You can usually save around 10% to 20% if you have your service done in that window.

Reactions: JaggerCat

·
Super Moderator
5,958 Posts
If you're new to motorcycle ownership and new to Ducati, I would recommend sticking to having the dealer do all the maintenance for you. Check your tire pressure, oil and coolant levels per the manual before every ride. Wash the bike when it's cold with a gentle hand using soap and warm water, dry with your softest terry towel. Clean/lube the chain every 200-500 miles.

Otherwise, have the dealer do the rest at the annual service intervals. Most dealerships have service discounts in the winter months as their mechanics get bored with nothing to do. You can usually save around 10% to 20% if you have your service done in that window.
@Theashman88

Yes...

Also, your owner’s manual has all mtce intervals and what is serviced...with a few errors. (E.g. plugs are changed at 18,000 miles not 9,500).

Might suggest changing your own oil and filter. It’s a simple job on the SS, but with time pressures, some dealers may rush a bit and not get most of the old oil out.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ditto on trying to get service in winter months. My dealer was swamped yesterday as everyone wants to get their bike ready for our beautiful weather. Thank goodness I had first AM appointment!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I am noob but even I put some time to focus and think about the motorcyle, use my eyes and brain to read the instruction... really man, don't screw this bike or maybe it's just me who work hard to get some proper things as a reward, I don't know...

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I am noob but even I put some time to focus and think about the motorcyle, use my eyes and brain to read the instruction... really man, don't screw this bike or maybe it's just me who work hard to get some proper things as a reward, I don't know...
See it as a tractor then you'll feel more confident and find the tasks much easier. Often things are talked up by people when actually the tasks are straight forward. However risk management is always the priority.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Even as a 30+ years rider, I leave most maintenance to pro wrenchers. Sure I can do oil changes, cable tweak, chain tensions etc. But of all these - I focus on maintaining any cables (since it's pretty easy) and watch chain tension. The latter is hard only in that you need a stand and a proper C spanner.

The things that appear simple to regular vehicles - oil change for example - suck for us because of the fairings. It's super easy to snap off the tabs that hold the body work on and the next thing you know - you saving a few bucks to change your own oil filter just cost you over $2,000 to replace the body work.

I do suggest reading, watching videos etc - especially for things you are going in to get done. Then maybe chat up the tech and discuss them. Only way you'll learn. One day you too can wrench on these. All bikes are pretty similar. Though newer bikes just add more and more electronics and cabling. Those electronics have become our bane in that an oil change still requires the dealer to reset the warning message.

But, if you're going to learn anything - memorize the preflight. Tire pressure checks, no kinked cables, lights working. Those can/will save your life.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
This is my second bike, but I only had my first bike for a few weeks. I want to know what I need to do to maintain my Supersport. Is there a list and if so how often do I need to do maintenance. Just to let you know I’m a complete newb and have no mechanic experience, which means I have no tools
In addition the advice already posted here, I'd recommend that you search forum and the internet before tackling maintenance. You can find videos as well as the torque settings for the various fasteners (I keep the later on my phone) and info on tools and parts.

You'll also need to get some tools, like a stand and unique tools and impact driver. I've spent about $500 on tools to support routine maintenance.

Additionally, many riders here have gone to 14T front sprocket to enhance acceleration and prevent lugging the engine around town. It's just a matter of preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts