Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati Supersport S 939
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So the long awaited sprocket and chain change has struck me.

I found places selling the front sprocket and chains without any hassle.

My question is on the rear sprocket alot of the people say that when changing the reat sprocket you will need to change the carrier aswell. Why would you need to do this?

And when buying a rear sprocket does the carrier come included?

Kind regards,

·
Registered
304 Posts
Any idea why would one say that? I didn't change mine, and quite frankly the whole idea seems strange.

·
Registered
Ducati Supersport S 939
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea why would one say that? I didn't change mine, and quite frankly the whole idea seems strange.
I have no idea this is why I am asking as far as I know only sprocket as that just basically hold the sprocket in place

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
@Hellscream Welcome! Very glad you joined us.

I also can’t imagine why the carrier would need to be replaced, unless it was somehow damaged. Or unless, perhaps, sprocket mounting is somehow different. What explanation is being provided why it should be changed?

·
Registered
Ducati Supersport S 939
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Hellscream Welcome! Very glad you joined us.

I also can’t imagine why the carrier would need to be replaced, unless it was somehow damaged. Or unless, perhaps, sprocket mounting is somehow different. What explanation is being provided why it should be changed?
Thanks for the warm welcome... no one says why just it needs and they charge a lot more for the rear because of it

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I think the issue is finding a bolt on replacement rear sprocket. If you find one, let me know where you got it, so I can order one too.

All I seem to find are these expensive kits to replace the carrier and cush drives, so that a ring mount sprocket can be substituted. The kits with chain are like $350 IIRC.

Again, I'd rather just find a bolt on replacement rear sprocket. If you have a source, please post it. I've got 16+k on my chain, it's still holding up but sooner or later I'll need a replacement.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last year I bought a rear sprocket online in Europe from Supersprox, along with a new DID-chain and 14 tooth front sprocket. (from a different shop)

It's only a sprocket with a colored ring, there are 4 colors to choose.
It's a perfect fit on the stock carrier and cushions.
Price is fairly normal as far as I know...

Hans

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Last year I bought a rear sprocket online in Europe from Supersprox, along with a new DID-chain and 14 tooth front sprocket. (from a different shop)

It's only a sprocket with a colored ring, there are 4 colors to choose.
It's a perfect fit on the stock carrier and cushions.
Price is fairly normal as far as I know...

Hans
Thanks Hans. The US site didn't show an available rear sprocket. I did not see an order form of the European site either. I sent them an e-mail. Hopefully they'll have a price sensitive bolt-in replacement. Since you were able to get one in Europe at least we know that it's possible to find one.

Otherwise, it looks like the complete $350 replacement kit is the only viable option.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Got this answer from Super Sprox

Hi John,
We do not currently have any sprockets in stock for that bike, and we don’t expect to be receiving a new shipment for quite some time.
Thank you!
Thank You!
Cam Schneider
| Customer Service
Arrowhead Engineered Products

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
ESJOT seems to be the winner folks. 62.50 Euros, 4 days to ship to USA. An actual written inquiry verifying specific fit to the 939 SS (44 tooth sprocket but 43 is in stock too). Apparently this is the same for the V2 as well.

Good going Jippo, was the shipping cost reasonable?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Wow, good find. Shipping cost not bad to USA!

Reactions: LowRyter

·
Registered
304 Posts
There are actually alternatives which are reasonably priced. I have 43 tooth (did'nt notice it was a tooth off in the link) ESJOT sprocket hanging on the garage wall as an ornament. I bought a complete set when my front sprocket wore out, but didn't replace the rear as there was very little wear on the original.

Shipping within EU is very reasonable, but be prepared to pay for customs as well, when ordering from abroads.There might be some depending on where you live.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think I read a post a few months back from a member who ordered the standard Esjot rear sprocket, and mentioned that the cushions didn't fit.

Here it is, might want to make sure if the fitment is still the same...?

Hans

Hi,
I was in the same boat as yourself looking for a rear sprocket change and found it very hard to find the standard sprocket without using the quick change option.
I tried a few but eventually bit the bullet and went for a nice quick change from conquest racing in the UK very helpfull and gave me everything i needed. not cheap but good quality stuff.
AEM Factory Ducati Sprocket Flange Hub Kit | Conquest Racing Ltd

Warnings... Dont get the standard sprocket from ESJOT it didn't fit, the Cush drive openings were too small and it was too late for me to send it back.
Motorcycle manufacturers | ESJOT GmbH

I ordered one from motorcycle spare parts as they seemed the cheapest but cancelled as I went for the Conquest option.
Ducati SUPERSPORT S EU 2017 REAR WHEEL SPINDLE - MSP

Hope it helps

Doug

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jippo, you might do a testfit, even one of the cushes.
The same fitment question re cush drive compatibility (see below) was posted to the ESJOT product page and their response was it works. Nothing is certain until you try it, but you might send them a query and assuming they confirm its fit you'd think a return would be possible should it not work.

"Question: Hi, I am after a rear sprocket for my ducati Supersport 939 (2017)I haven't yet replaced the sprockets on a ducati and I'm aware they fit on differently. A lot of after market sprockets come with carriers or cush drives etc.I just want to confirm my existing OEM cushdrive etc. will be perfectly compatible with this sprocket and no extra parts will be required. Stock pitch is 520Thanks.
September / 25 / 2020
Answer: This sprocket is plug and play, fits the same way will fit the oem Ducati rear sprocket."

Reactions: Miweber929
1 - 20 of 21 Posts