Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all! Just got my 2017 SSS Friday. Really having a hard time comprehending these stupidly-designed brake caliper bleeder screw placements, and the ball-cooking seat, but still a fan. Coming off a FZ-09 so way different bike obviously, looking for something I can have more fun at the track with so here we are! Look forward to stalking these forums...

·
Super Moderator
6,253 Posts
@CCSuperSport Welcome! Beautiful bike!

As you might have already noticed, there’s a ton of info here about the SS and lots of friendly, experienced riders.

Is that screen red, or is it just the way the light is reflecting off of it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@CCSuperSport Welcome! Beautiful bike!

As you might have already noticed, there’s a ton of info here about the SS and lots of friendly, experienced riders.

Is that screen red, or is it just the way the light is reflecting off of it?
Thank you! It IS a chromatic/iridium red - not sure if it's a modded stock or what (seems stock-ish dimensions at first glance, hazed up) because I also got a clear stock one, which is scratched/hazed all to heck. Thought about getting a Ducati clear replacement but now concerned they aren't very scratch resistant. What's the popular replacement besides the PUIG which seems to be bigger and bigger is not what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Where in Texas? Might meet up. Got mine at AMS Dallas.

I'd guess the SS is no faster than the FZ09 but might handle better and have a better riding experience.

Let us all know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It’s not red......😀😀😀😀

Reactions: Red AF

·
Registered
57 Posts
......... and your bike is not a Supersport ....... :LOL::LOL:
That is true....it IS red however,red is beautiful and recalls to mind speed..... I do have a white deep freeze though, it just sits there all slow like. :) :)
(see my signature)

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Thank you! It IS a chromatic/iridium red - not sure if it's a modded stock or what (seems stock-ish dimensions at first glance, hazed up) because I also got a clear stock one, which is scratched/hazed all to heck. Thought about getting a Ducati clear replacement but now concerned they aren't very scratch resistant. What's the popular replacement besides the PUIG which seems to be bigger and bigger is not what I'm looking for.
That windscreen looks like the "double bubble" screen made by Powerbronze. I thought that Iridium Red would have looked better than that but after actually seeing on an SS, not so much now LOL. I like the double bubble I installed better than the OEM one myself, IMO it reduces the buffeting that I felt in the chest region with the factory one.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Welcome.
What's the problem with the brake bleeders?
There is no problem with the brake bleeders.

Like all underslung rear brakes, the bleed nipple is on the bottom. So, to bleed them properly you need to undo 2 M8 socket head cap screws to remove the calliper and turn it upside down (so the bleed screw is on the top) to bleed it properly. Same procedure for just about every sports bike on the planet.

While you have it off (which takes less than a minute) you can thoroughly clean the calliper. The time it takes to remove and replace the calliper is much less than the extra time it takes to clean the calliper in situ.

Some people go out of their way to find things they don't like...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no problem with the brake bleeders.

Like all underslung rear brakes, the bleed nipple is on the bottom. So, to bleed them properly you need to undo 2 M8 socket head cap screws to remove the calliper and turn it upside down (so the bleed screw is on the top) to bleed it properly. Same procedure for just about every sports bike on the planet.

While you have it off (which takes less than a minute) you can thoroughly clean the calliper. The time it takes to remove and replace the calliper is much less than the extra time it takes to clean the calliper in situ.

Some people go out of their way to find things they don't like...
I wouldn't know, it's my first real "sport" bike. The FZ09 brakes were more like a car, bleed screw opposite "end" of the caliper from the line, and on top, so you can get a true "flush" just by pumping the brakes and opening/closing the bleeder. No disassembly/removal required. I can see how it can be done on the back of the SS, but just confused why they wouldn't make it easier. The front is very confusing with the bleeder on top of the hard line fitting. How can that be "flushed" I wonder. I said screw it, taking it to Ducati.

I'm not unhappy about the bike just some (maybe unfair) nit-picking.

That said, I just put some S22 tires on it yesterday and took it for a proper rip on curvy roads for the first time. It is so ridiculously easy to go fast on this vs. the FZ09. The FZ09 is a twitchy ******* with pogo stick suspension that dares you to roll on too hard so it can buck you the F off. It's loads of fun under 100mph. The SS just says "what do you want to do today?" and it just does it. Perfectly. And then says "is that all? are you sure you wouldn't be happier in triple digits?". It's so damn good it's almost like playing a video game vs. actually riding. It just does what you want without any complaint.

The DQS really makes it, though, especially in the downshifts. No traction loss, no bucking, just... perfect. My only minor complaint is the quick shift from 1st to 2nd is a bit jerky compared to the other upshifts. Other than that the whole system is just buttery goodness that begs you to go ballistic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That windscreen looks like the "double bubble" screen made by Powerbronze. I thought that Iridium Red would have looked better than that but after actually seeing on an SS, not so much now LOL. I like the double bubble I installed better than the OEM one myself, IMO it reduces the buffeting that I felt in the chest region with the factory one.
Cool - It may be Powerbronze - not sure. My problem with it is it does not match the red trellis paint, so, too many colors going on. Plus I think a new clear one would be less distracting from the "natural beauty" of the bike itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts