Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am new to the forum although have been lurking for a few weeks now.

I am an Australian currently living and working in London but will be returning to my home town of Sydney at some stage over the next 6 months, COVID permitting. I haven't been riding for a number of years (too many really!) after getting more into performance cars. Most of my biking experience was road orientated albeit with trackdays thrown in for good measure. My bike history in order: GPX250 to learn on; ZZR600; CBR600; GSXR750; VTR1000 and R6.

I experienced my first mid-life crisis around 8 years ago and bought a Series 1 Lotus Elise which I still have although it's been in storage while we've been here in London. While in this part of the world I've done some great driving roads with a number of trips to the Alps and other parts of Europe, including track days at the Nurburgring, Spa and Silverstone.

I had thought that the bike bug had left me but then I recently came across a video whilst surfing the net about the Panigale V2.... and the bug is back :) (second mid-life crisis?)

Anyway, I then started researching more seriously and while I was initially drawn in by the V2 I came across the SuperSport. Whilst it obviously lacks the power of a V2 it seems alot more suited to the style of riding I would ultimately be doing - weekend rides on twisty roads, possibly some touring and only the occassional trackday. And the riding position is probably better suited to my years...

With the release of the 950 my mind is pretty much made up - I was basically hoping that they would do every one of the updates that they've just announced with the only omission being cruise control. While I like the look of the current bike I really like the update that they've done and the updated electronics seem to be a handy safety net for someone that's been out of the game for a while.

My only remaining dilemna is whether or not to go for the standard model or the S... now that the DQS is on the base model it has made that decision slightly tougher than it was (although, how could I go past the red stripes on the wheels!). I've done a search here on the benefits of the Ohlins and I am still undecided. I have some time to think about it at least (including what looks like 2 weeks in quarantine locked into a hotel room somewhere in Sydney!).

Anyway, enough rambling. Thanks for a very informative site with what seem to be friendly bunch willing to impart their knowledge and experience. :)

Cheers
Nath

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
@Nath Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Ohlins or not, it’s a very personal thing, depending on what your needs are. If I might ask, what type of riding do you expect to do?

You might try an SS equipped with and without Ohlins, if the dealer has one of each.

You might also consider riding an SS back to back compared with a V2. You’ll know for sure, within 5-10 minutes of riding both, which bike is right for you, if there’s any remaining doubt. Both fantastic bikes, but different purposes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome @Ed K !!

Mostly road riding for pleasure on what can be relatively bumpy roads in the area that I live. I would also do maybe 2 trackdays a year (although I tend to do more than that in a car, I reckon I will spread it out between the two once I get a bike).

If I can convince the dealer to let me I might as well try the V2! I do intend to join the local Ducati club and go on rides with them so suspect that ultimately the SS 950 is what will be best suited.

·
Super Moderator
6,442 Posts
There are many differences between the two, but some of the biggest differences will be riding riding position and top end power.

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Given your preference for sporty roads and light touring, I'd think the SS would be the best bet. Just know that the SS won't pull your arms off with power but it's a great balance of comfort, handling and sporting agility.

The bike has a little more go when you install a 14t front sprocket.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I'm here no brainer and just pure amateur. SS S is my first ever motorcycle and recently thanks to our forum I decided to have a session with Dave Moss to setup the suspension. The famous "couple of clicks" made from it totally different bike - instant change towards what I missed, unfortunately, the virus destroyed my 2020 plan to test the settings on the speed track - still I have one session with that to discuss with Dave. So if your ambition would be to tune it reeeeallly under your preferences and you know you will notice - please take the Ohlins. Otherwise weekend demo ride from the shworoom is the answer for "basic" SS version and safe a little for trips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips guys (y) I will try and get a ride on both to see whether I can notice the difference of the Ohlins.

I think what attracted me to the Panigale V2 in the first place was the looks and the fact that the power wasn't as extreme as the V4 models which I know that I would never get to use and would be realistically too much for the road. My reservations on the V2 were that it is still a pretty full on sportsbike which, aside from the comfort considerations (reviews note the front weight bias), would still require a higher level of commitment on the road to enjoy. The SuperSport looks like a perfect compromise with better comfort, more accessible road performance, similar looks and I think I'd be happy with the power (my VTR1000 had about the same and I never found that to be wanting).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts