Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a 2009 hypermotard 1100s, but it started acting up and throwing codes right before im supposed to take a trip down to laguna seca for wsbk. I have tickets to ducati island and everything. I was practically in tears trying to figure out what i was going to do, as i was not confident i could get it fixed before i was supposed to leave. I thought about renting a bike from joy rides down there, but realized thta when i got home, i would still have a broken bike. Well, **** it, i have a job, i have money, buy a new one. I had been looking lustfully at the supersport for a while now anyway. I called my local dealer and inquired about a supersport, and he was like, great. I told him i was hoping to only have to make one trip to the big city to get it, and he was like, "whoa, whoa, whoa, you know there is a waitlist for these things right?" So i told him my sob story, and he took pity on me and made a few phone calls, found out that the guy on the list for a white s model was non-committal, and gave him the ultimatum, come get it now, or I'm giving it to this other guy. I picked it up Saturday:grin2:

Wow, this thing is fun. It doesn't have the torque hit of the motard, but way more stable and easy to ride on the highway. I followed a guy on a multistrada from waldport to philomath on my first ride on it sunday, and we were bad kids>:). I tried my best to stay under 6k, but....there were times...

Anyway, i was planning to truck the motard down to laguna to ride it around down there, as this involved me missing a minimum of work(there's only two of us here, so if i'm gone, he has to cover)but now, with a bike that can make the trip without beating me up too bad, I'm riding all the way. Anybody have experience with Ducati shops in the laguna area, or between there and oregon, I guess i'm going to have to get my first oil change done on the road. I've only got a tiny tailbag that i use to carry things around on the motard, and no time to get anything else before i leave, so i will be travelling light, which is, of course, the only way to fly.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Nice, welcome to the club.

I've done Hwy 34 quite a few times, super nice road. I could have probably done my full break-in just going back and forth on it. I've only ever done it in the Miata though, not on a bike. I may have to head back down that way.

It's a slog getting down to Monterey down I5 on a bike. I'd still trailer the SS and ride it into Ducati Island. That is, unless you are riding with a group, that makes it a bit less boring. Make sure you take time to hit Hwy 96 if you have time, it's quite the road.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just say no to the slab. It may take longer, but im going down the coast. Probably spend the first night in California around eureka or fortuna, then down to salinas on thursday.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Great, good story enjoy your ride to watch the Brits beat all (just joking) ,

Dont forget to vary that throttle on the way down and not sit at a constant speed in top..... but you know that anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Wow, congrats on scoring a bike so quickly...and welcome. A lot of us here had to wait weeks and months. Take some pics of the island and post them up. I've never been and can live vicariously through you...lol.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Part of the reasoning behind going down the coast is that it will require more varied input than cruising on the slab. I'll start a new thread in the supersport 939 section tonite or tomorrow before i leave. My work partner gave me a fanny pack, so i almost doubled my storage capacity, I'll probably be able to bring my laptop now. I'm thinking about Marin Speed Shop for my oil change, anybody know that place? They're closed today and tomorrow, so I guess i'll call from the road on Weds to see if they can get me in, otherwise I guess i'll look somewhere else.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Part of the reasoning behind going down the coast is that it will require more varied input than cruising on the slab. I'll start a new thread in the supersport 939 section tonite or tomorrow before i leave. My work partner gave me a fanny pack, so i almost doubled my storage capacity, I'll probably be able to bring my laptop now. I'm thinking about Marin Speed Shop for my oil change, anybody know that place? They're closed today and tomorrow, so I guess i'll call from the road on Weds to see if they can get me in, otherwise I guess i'll look somewhere else.
Marin Speed Shop seems like a very good shop. I've never bought a bike from them, but I stopped in there a few times while visiting my daughter when she was in college at Sonoma State. Great group of guys working there, and literally less than a block off the 101.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just thought of something, what is the fuel situation like down there? Is it possible to get ethanol free(please dont laugh, i can hope)? Is it all e85? what do you all do with your bikes in CA?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just thought of something, what is the fuel situation like down there? Is it possible to get ethanol free(please dont laugh, i can hope)? Is it all e85? what do you all do with your bikes in CA?
You'll find "up to" 10% ethanol in gasoline down here. "Pure gas" is available...see link. You'll have several options as you travel south on the 101, but the closer you get to The Bay, your options begin to disappear.
10% ethanol is not going to damage the motor in your new Duc. Stick with Shell or Chevron 91 premium and your bike will be a happy camper.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome, thank you!!! I was dreading pulling up to a gas station with my low fuel light on, only to see e85 only sold here.

Reactions: Ventura17SS
1 - 13 of 13 Posts