Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd share some install experiences with this to save some other people some headaches.

http://www.newragecycles.com/Ducati_Supersport_939_Fender_Eliminator_Kit_p/939-fe.htm

The Good:
Awesome, clean looking kit post install. Turn signals are great, and plate is well tucked.

The Bad:
No Install Instructions
Included hardware was poorly fitting for me

I really like the kit; That being said, I was annoyed that there were no installation instructions on the new rage website for the Supersport yet. Moreover, nothing outside of a packing slip came with the package, so install had to be deduced. As such, I thought I'd post some general steps:

1) Remove old tail piece:
- Requires removing the space wing lower plastic that consists of a few bolts
- After that remove the four main mounting bolts
2) Once the old tail piece is removed, flip it over and disconnect the three connectors
3) Run the turn signal wiring through the new bracket center hole. Note that the connectors have to be on the OUTSIDE of the bike hole (They will not reach to the mounting location otherwise, let me tell you how annoying that was to notice).
4) Connect the turn signal wire connectors to the new license plate holder/turn signal piece.
- NOTE: Because these have to be on the outside of the bike now, I went ahead and wrapped them thoroughly in electrical tape to protect them from the elements. Note that the wiring hides nicely behind the license plate itself.
5) Bolt up the undertail cover piece bracket. This was a PITA without instructions, because the kit came with two longer bolts, two shorter bolts, two longer spacers, and two shorter spacers. Regardless of trying a few different angles with the bolts, spacers, and wiring, I ultimately came to find out that the spacers were not long enough for my bike. They would thread down to the tail frame while still leaving a gap. In the included pictures, you'll notice that two of my bolts are the factory silver ones; I ultimately ended up using the short bolts with long spacers on the far back of the bike (which then threaded down tight without hitting the frame), and using the factory bolts with the short spacers on the forward mounting location. This resulted in the piece being a little higher up in the front, leaving a slight gap. Once the license plate bracket was mounted, however, it was not noticeable. In the future I will get some washers, take it off, and shim it properly with (non-included) washers.
6) Remove the two aft factory screws from the plastic piece directly in front of the new rage undertail bracket.
7) Mount your license plate to the license plate bracket BEFORE mounting it up; Trust me, this makes life easier and I ultimately ended removing the piece to mount the plate
8) Mount the license plate holder/turn signal light utilizing the last remaining (and smallest) screws and spacers. I made a point to route the license plate light wiring around the top of the license plate.
9) Test and enjoy

Hope this spares anyone ordering the kit some headaches due to the lack of the instructions. That being said, it's a pretty great kit. I would HIGHLY recommend running to a hardware store and picking up some washers before beginning the install; That way you can shim the kit as needed and avoid running bolts into the tail frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have ordered one of these in the UK

It will be here Wednesday.
However in the delivery time I have decided I am not keen on the looks.

Anyone in the UK want to make me an offer. Willing to sell at a loss. And save you the customs fee etc..PM me to discuss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed the kit today... overall I like the design. The install could have been easier with instructions, its plug and play but could make it easier for the consumer. They could even post PDF version on their website. I had to go off the photos.

I had a gap as well off the main plate, one of the nylon washers was a little long. I was not happy with the wire routing, it could been done different; maybe a hole one the license plate plate instead. This would allow the wires to tuck in nicely.

Again overall I can live with the little things and like the look of the tidy kit.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Supersport, 2015 Ducati Scrambler Classic, 1994 Ducati 907ie
1,723 Posts
It looks good but the chances of fitting a UK 9" x 7" number plate to it are virtually nil. I'd also be concerned with the legality of the turn signals over here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed this kit in early June, must have been the first customer, I emailed them for instructions before receiving it and that was done promptly. Went together easily, looks great but you need to give the plate a little bend to be visible, this way there is no reason to pull you over, other than speeding that is.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I had things mounted fine, fit up great... and apparently one of the license plate mount bolts fell out today. Other one was a few rotations out when I noticed, so I got it back in and headed home to try and find a spare bolt that might fit to no avail. It'll have to be hardware store in the morning. Point of story: it's a rumbly v-twin; thread locker. Use it. Love it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ordered mine and it's on the way! It looks like it does the job but I must say that I love my daughter's R3 Tail tidy and integrated turn signals WAY better from TST Industries!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow! What a PITA to install! Even with the instructions I had a REALLY difficult time! It ended up taking me 2.5 hours by the time I was done. ha ha Partly my own fault a bit as I couldn't figure out where the actual light mounted for a bit. My bolts wouldn't really fit through the holes in the actual Light brackets. So I was like... "what in the world is going on?!" Finally just had to "force" them a bit through the holes.

It doesn't look bad... not amazing in the fit and finish but I DO like how that it takes the plate and moves it pretty far in.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Wow! What a PITA to install! Even with the instructions I had a REALLY difficult time! It ended up taking me 2.5 hours by the time I was done. ha ha Partly my own fault a bit as I couldn't figure out where the actual light mounted for a bit. My bolts wouldn't really fit through the holes in the actual Light brackets. So I was like... "what in the world is going on?!" Finally just had to "force" them a bit through the holes.

It doesn't look bad... not amazing in the fit and finish but I DO like how that it takes the plate and moves it pretty far in.
Yeah it takes some effort to get a torx key in there, obviously the passenger handles need moving to change the rear light. I did mine twice because the mounting rubber on the top kept sliding out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having a wide range of tools in different lengths/sizes helps with these installs usually.
No kidding, no instructions with kit. Not even a high quality photo. Once I sat down and look at the above photos and Senedane install I was able to figure it out. Not sure what the extra parts are for???? What should have been a hour job took over two hours.

Sure look good!!!!:grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts