Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

After owning a few bikes / scooters / 3 wheelers i finally decided it's time for my dream bike. Well, not exactly but close. Ever since I saw a 899 Panigale years and years ago I was hooked. I always wanted a Ducati, but the Panigale design is just something special.

So after owning a few scooters - best thing to get around town, owning a Honda SH125 atm - I had a Suzuki Boulevard C50, Harleys are very very expensiver over here. After owning it for a few years I sold it, mainly reliability concerns with this particular bike as well as I kind of grew out of it. I wanted a more sportive bike, the Suzuki was great on backroads but not fur twisties and turns.

So off I went to see Suzuki and Honda. Why Suzuki? A friend of ours had a yellow GSX-R when I was a young teenager, I always liked that bike. But due to Covid new bikes aren't as availabe as they used to be - and used bike prices are way up there compared to recent years.

So I went to Honda (Ducat-Honda dealer). To get to Honda you had to enter in the Ducati department. Long story short: I never made it to Honda. I saw the 939 and new 950 Supersport as well as the Panigale V2/V4, Scrambler and Multistrada range.

After sitting on a few bikes I soon found out that the Supersport is much more comfortable to sit on and 113hp is more than enough for now. (coming from 805cc with 53hp). About half an hour after entering the dealership I signed the contract for a slightly used Supersport S from 2019 with about 3000 miles on it and brand new Pirelli Rosso IV tires.

Design, sound, ergonomics, comfort just did it for me.

First drive is done into winter storage, about 50 miles from the dealer. I knew about the mirrors vibrating, but wow, I did not expect them to vibrate that much! Pretty much completely useless once the bike is moving. Maybe there is some truth to the saying "italians: design first, usability second ;-)"

Also experienced pain in my left hand from the sportive position or the clutch, have to examine further what's the cause.

Furthermore I experinced the bike feeling unstable, like its swimming or ice skating while riding trough stronger crosswinds. Maybe it was me causing it by riding it at low rpm's which apparently makes the bike also turn unstable according to some reviewers. Maybe its the new tires? According to the discussion on here it doesn't need a steering dampener (and I never had any steering dampener on any bike before).

Also planned on some mods: The whole bike is mostly red / black, except the forks and the exhaust. So after reading and Youtubing the Akrapovic option I decided to keep the stock exhaust and invest in some Illmberger carbon fiber covers. The bike really doesn't need much - but the silver exhaust is just sticking out. Also I wouldn't say no to a tinted windshield ..... we'll see. Winter is long.😀
Also I planned to replace the shift lever with some red aftermarket part, since I read that the original likes to disintegrate due to vibration.

Fun fact: About half a year I was very close to buying a Aprilia Shiver 900 - glad I didn't. Had a small scooter accident on the way home from the dealer, broken rib and pain in the shoulder. Maybe that was a sign not to buy the APrilia.

Alex

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Administrator
8,280 Posts
@alex_at Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

Congrats! Beautiful bike!

Not sure about the instability you mentioned; perhaps due to the tires not being scrubbed yet. Also, lots of posts here about proper suspension set up that can be found with the “Search” function that you might browse through.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
@alex_at Welcome to the forum 👍 Fire away and ask any questions about the bike as there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Rememebr - the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
First, congratulations and welcome to the forum.

“Invest” in a skilled suspension tech getting you set up for sag, rebound and compression. It’s not that expensive and the bike will feel a lot more planted.

Keep the RPMs at or above 5,000 rpm for optimal gyroscopic effect; lower and the bike gets unhappy.

I don’t think your tires are a problem (unless they’re over-inflated). I ride mine in all kinds of wind and it doesn’t suffer the “kite” effect. It could be you’re just experiencing the “tippy” nature of a sportbike.

Anyways, congratulations again and keep us posted. This is a really great crowd from all over the world and RARELY does anybody give out bad or unhelpful advice. You’ll get yourself into fine form quick enough here.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Hi :) every time I am in Vienna I see 90% of Vespa scooters and... KTM. Small wow you didn't own any of it :) As Dave Moss says - you should adjust the position of levers - minimal movement possible with Supersport but still - 939 is ready to install a hydraulic clutch if this could be more serious problem. Rosso III / IV are quite sporty - especially in the beginning they turn the bike in the same time I think of it which is great for me. Over time the feeling degrades naturally. I'm no experienced driver, just amateur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome!

@Ed K.: Agree, the tires need some more miles, but it's close to freezing over here - so no more riding this year.
@Tripplesapper: Thanks!

@NothingClever: Thanks, suspension advice is on the list for next riding season, as I've never had a bike before with such a high quality advanced suspension with that much adjustability. The higher rpm do seem to make the bike more stable, I guess maybe that's because the engine is part of the frame.

@Grossi.BP : Yes, Vespa is everywhere, KTM (especially Duke 125/200) too. I've read in an Interview a while ago that Austria is the biggest market for Vespa scooters. In Italy people seem to prefer more practical scooters (big wheels, flat footboard). Riding a SH125 myself I can definetly see why. Pricing with Vespa is another thing, they are amongst the most expensive. And yes, I do have to accustom myself to the "sportbike" feel of the Supersport as well as to the sportive tires.

@MOTORCYCLEiD : Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts