Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just signed on the dotted line for a new SSS - red of course! Can't wait for the snow to go away...only a few months to go :frown2:

I've owned a number of sportbikes in the past, then naked bikes and most recently a Duke 790. Great bike, but I still prefer the look of a sportbike with a fairing so never really felt like the KTM was "the one".

I'll blame shep for this recent purchase, I was browsing the Italian bike thread on advrider and saw his post. It was enough to make me take a drive to the local dealership to check it out over the holidays....and here we are :grin2:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Welcome!! We need pics once you get it :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome!

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
@mcbagpiper Welcome! You made the right decision!!

Just keep riding it South, until the weather gets warmer... ;)

Do you play bagpipes?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just signed on the dotted line for a new SSS - red of course! Can't wait for the snow to go away...only a few months to go :frown2:

I've owned a number of sportbikes in the past, then naked bikes and most recently a Duke 790. Great bike, but I still prefer the look of a sportbike with a fairing so never really felt like the KTM was "the one".

I'll blame shep for this recent purchase, I was browsing the Italian bike thread on advrider and saw his post. It was enough to make me take a drive to the local dealership to check it out over the holidays....and here we are :grin2:
I was interested in the Duke as well. I would love to hear a comparison of the two bikes.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Warm down here. Ride year round!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I was interested in the Duke as well. I would love to hear a comparison of the two bikes.
I have an SSs and did a 790 Duke demo ride last September at the AimExpo in Columbus. Overall I was very impressed with the Duke - nice engine that was unlike every other parallel twin I'd ridden previously. Plenty of low end, revved quickly toward redline and even sounded OK. The quickshifter worked well and it was just a fun bike to ride. What I didn't care for was the origami styling and some of the detail finishes KTM chose to use - pretty agricultural looking when you're used to Ducatis.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have an SSs and did a 790 Duke demo ride last September at the AimExpo in Columbus. Overall I was very impressed with the Duke - nice engine that was unlike every other parallel twin I'd ridden previously. Plenty of low end, revved quickly toward redline and even sounded OK. The quickshifter worked well and it was just a fun bike to ride. What I didn't care for was the origami styling and some of the detail finishes KTM chose to use - pretty agricultural looking when you're used to Ducatis.
I was curious performance wise how the Duke compared to the SS. I don't care for the looks of the bike and don't know about the seating position (I am not a big fan of upright Supermoto style).

The Duke has a parallel engine with the crank offset for 285-435 firing interval, same as the KTM 75 degree VTwins. (BTW- Many of the new parallel twins from Yamaha are 270 cranks which are the same as 90 degree Vtwin in our Ducs.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@mcbagpiper Welcome! You made the right decision!!

Just keep riding it South, until the weather gets warmer... ;)

Do you play bagpipes?
I do play the bagpipes, although over the past couple of years I haven't had much of a chance...with young kids in hockey the free time just seems to evaporate, lol.

Reactions: Ed K

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was curious performance wise how the Duke compared to the SS. I don't care for the looks of the bike and don't know about the seating position (I am not a big fan of upright Supermoto style).

The Duke has a parallel engine with the crank offset for 285-435 firing interval, same as the KTM 75 degree VTwins. (BTW- Many of the new parallel twins from Yamaha are 270 cranks which are the same as 90 degree Vtwin in our Ducs.)

I haven't ridden the SSS at all yet...not even a test ride, which is pretty common up here. Most dealerships don't have enough supply or interest to warrant test rides. Unless you manage to catch a factory ride day it's a big leap of faith. Although youtube and forums help to reduce the guessing factor!

As for the duke, it is a great bike. The power is enough, especially for 90% of what you typically do on the road. I could see taking it for a trackday on a very tight course, or even a supermoto course, but anything open or flowing and you'd be tapped out pretty quickly.

I briefly owned a 690 Enduro that was converted to supermoto tires and realized I needed more power and weight on the street - anything over 120km/h and it didn't feel very confidence inspiring. I chose the 790 as a sportier street based bike, but still found the seating a bit too upright. I'm 6'3" so with a long arm reach I prefer the clip on bars to stretch my arms. I ended up putting a set of woodcraft clip-ons to bring the bars down which helped. What I finally realized after owning a few naked bikes is I kept trying to make them look/feel like sportbikes.

This is my second Ducati, I owned a 2008 Hypermotard 1100S for a year - but it was used, so this is my first new Ducati with a warranty! :grin2:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Given that Piper, I think the SS will be the perfect bike from the KTM. So give us a comparison once you get your SS.

·
Super Moderator
5,932 Posts
I do play the bagpipes, although over the past couple of years I haven't had much of a chance...with young kids in hockey the free time just seems to evaporate, lol.
Wonderful! Hope we might hear you play, sometime!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pics of the new ride! I've removed the rear fender, awaiting arrival of the tail tidy from MD. Gave the bike a good cleaning and waxed the bodywork and tank...also removed the nasty white chain wax and put on stuff that won't fling everywhere.

Only modification to date is an R&G rear spool/slider that allows for the use of my rear stand. I have a tank protector on the way, along with a bellypan and some carbon goodies.

side.jpg

rear side.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha...well, even just staring at the duc in the garage I know it was the right move. Swap the word blame for thank instead! What's going on with your 790, looking for something else?

·
Registered
2018 Ducati Supersport S
450 Posts
She is looking good @mcbagpiper You will enjoy her once spring hits and the beautiful roads up your way are clean. I like that she has her own heater to keep warm, so sweet, lol. I installed heater in my garage just to try to keep it around +5c to +10c :wink2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol, I figured it would take someone in the same climate to recognize the heat lamp!

Reactions: djcmx49
1 - 19 of 19 Posts