Ducati SuperSport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Received my 2017 Supersport S this morning with 7000 miles on her, took her out for a ride, wonderful bike!
However, when I ride progressively, using the quick shifter, to change up. From 5th to 6th.
Sometimes it drops into Neutral. I then struggle to get the bike back into any gear (5th, or 4th, or 6th) with a clunk. (ow!) I then have to drift with no power for a while until I manage to get back into gear.
I find this happens less if I am very firm on the gear lever with my foot, with the throttle hard-on, however, I am never experienced this before, I have owned many other bikes with quickshifters, and non have been like this.

Before I send the bike back, is there anything I should investigate?

Kind Regards

Simon

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
@simonwood welcome to the Forum.

If you search on the Forum, you will find that it is a fairly common problem and many members have experienced the issue. Just type DQS in the search bar and lots of posts will come up.
On my 2017 Supersport S, I kept getting that many false neutrals using the DQS, I lost confidence with it and stopped using it.
On my 950S the DQS is on the ball.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
55 Posts
Welcome and congratulations for getting a wonderful bike. A strong and sure nudge will virtually eliminate false neutral. This works for me.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Yes, from my experience you can drive already fast so you don't use much twist of a throttle so there is not enough of "kick" delivered to the QS - it's my hypotesis. I had this from 2017 and still now if I don't remember about high enough revs or de/acceleration going up/down it happens. Today I've had even neutral 3-4 first time ever but I remember well I just barely touched the lever. For tracks I also started to use method advised by Sylvain Guintoli on his yt channel - to downshit with letting go the gas at the same time. When it happens think about how much revs or twisted the roll gas was. You'll notice a pattern with neutral. Not the best idea or solution but works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@simonwood welcome to the Forum.

If you search on the Forum, you will find that it is a fairly common problem and many members have experienced the issue. Just type DQS in the search bar and lots of posts will come up.
On my 2017 Supersport S, I kept getting that many false neutrals using the DQS, I lost confidence with it and stopped using it.
On my 950S the DQS is on the ball.
Thank you will do that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
On full throttle I’ve got the false neutral very often but only from 4 to 5. If I use only 90% throttle or less, it almost always shifts as desired. As said above, a strong and sure nudge helps.

·
Administrator
8,111 Posts
@simonwood Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

You might also turn off the U/D DQS at the dash, even if you manual shift sometimes, and try it with DQS deactivated, to confirm it only happens through the DQS.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Hi,

Received my 2017 Supersport S this morning with 7000 miles on her, took her out for a ride, wonderful bike!
However, when I ride progressively, using the quick shifter, to change up. From 5th to 6th.
Sometimes it drops into Neutral. I then struggle to get the bike back into any gear (5th, or 4th, or 6th) with a clunk. (ow!) I then have to drift with no power for a while until I manage to get back into gear.
I find this happens less if I am very firm on the gear lever with my foot, with the throttle hard-on, however, I am never experienced this before, I have owned many other bikes with quickshifters, and non have been like this.

Before I send the bike back, is there anything I should investigate?

Kind Regards

Simon
Adjust the toe peg height, or ride with your feet well away from the toe peg (on the shift lever). It doesn't take much pressure for the quickshifter to do nits thing. If there is slight pressure on the gear lever it will not make a proper change.

·
Registered
2018 Ducati SSS Red
55 Posts
Also, i have found 2 successive shifts, without letting go off the clutch (non dqs shifts) often leads to false neutral. Best is to shift a gear, let go the clutch, ride for few seconds to ensure bike gets in gear and then repeat. It is also important to free the gear lever completely, as mentioned by @theresanothersteve . This virtually should eliminate false neutrals. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's funny, people say you need to be riding hard to use the QS. On my 2018, I can just ride it very casually through town and use the QS to change gears at a very leisurely rate, and it works perfectly every time. Occasionally hit N between 1 & 2 if I'm being TOO casual. Otherwise, it couldn't be better.

·
Registered
2018 SuperSport S
46 Posts
You don't have to ride hard, you have to SHIFT hard. Escpecially in 5th and 6th you have to push the lever fast into its endposition. When you let off the lever because before it hits the end stop because it feels as if the gear is in, it will pop to neutral. On my 2018 SSS the feel of 3rd and 4th is different than 5th and 6th, even after I got the updatet shift mechanism. So sometimes the before mentioned happens to me also.

I also use DQS for nearly every shift, only 1s to 2nd I'm mostly using the clutch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is your chain tension correct? On my previous Ducatis, as the chain slackened off I’d get false neutrals. But once tightened up they’d stop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,
I have check chain tension, removed, cleaned and lube the shifter and linkage. Adjusted the toe t point Lower down, allowing more ‘authority’ without extra effort.

Now rides so much better, very happy.

taken her for a test ride and had two false neutrals, but these were in downshift, I simply didn’t apply enough foot pressure.

many thanks.I ended up searching this forum and ticking off all the checks
cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts