Ducati Supersport 939 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking in the forum for over 2 years (after being run over by a ranch truck, and waiting to see if the BMW would be totaled), the 2021 changes were good enough for me to place a deposit at the local dealership today for a 2021 red, base 950 SS. Who knows when it will arrive (January-March?), but that gives me some time to get things ready and break the news to the other Italian Redheads in the garage (Alfa 4C, vintage Colnago & Bianchi). Of course I am hoping for an earlier delivery date, to get the new bike & avoid new tires or another service on my BMW, but then I'm also hoping for a later delivery, so spring will have sprung, and I can take off and get acquainted on the good roads of Arkansas with the softer stock tires before I wear them flat on the slab around here. I'll certainly put Pilot 5s on later, for increased mileage- I average 10-11k miles with those on the current bike. As background, I ride most days, commuting to work year round on the most boring roads & freeways, but I also manage 2-3 escapes per year to Arkansas or TX Hill Country. For several years, I have also taken a solo, 10 day, 3-4k mile summer trip, and hopefully that will continue (recent destinations of Washington, Virginia, Colorado, Wyoming). I average ~10k miles per year. In any case, I should have the bike for the trip to MotoGP at COTA next April, assuming Covid allows it.

I am moving from a 2015 K1300S, which I have owned since late 2014, with nearly 60k miles. I will miss the maintenance free shaft drive, and the linear 180hp. Even correcting for the weight difference of the SS, I will be 15% lower on both power & torque through the low to mid revs, and over 20% at the top end. I have no doubt the SS will be fine for TX freeway traffic on my commute, it will just be different. The weight corrected engine curves are actually quite similar to my prior bike, a bought new 2008 Sprint 1050 ST (also traded about 60k miles).

Following is my current list of immediate accessories and minor mods. I'll be using the forum search more to get details on these- I know they have all been covered here very well:
  • Factory panniers. Yes, they are ugly and the brackets are worse, but I need them for work.
  • GPS mount. Anticipate using as insert into a inner bar end (perhaps the same one as my K1300?)
  • GPS wiring. Modify my current setup to plug into the Ducati's fitting
  • Tankslapper protective film on the tank, or perhaps X-pel on the entire moto
  • Perhaps a slightly larger wind screen (we'll see how the stock one works, first)
  • Protective film for the TFT screen
  • Find good location for tolltag & garage door opener

Talk to you soon,
John

·
Super Moderator
6,428 Posts
@JohnTex Welcome! Very glad you joined us!

We hope you didn’t sustain major injuries with the incident of the ranch truck.

Your assessment about the SS sounds right on. I came off a K1200S on to the SS. And as indicated you will note a power and acceleration drop, even adjusting for weight differences. But the SS is still plenty quick.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hello and welcome!!!! I think you’re our first confirmed 2021 buy :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Tex welcome. I usually make a couple of trips to Arkansas a year (the Euro Raid in Jasper area is usually in June), hit the Hill Country after COTA MotoGP and sometimes take my toy hauler on my summer trips to Colorado. Once we get the Covid behind us, hope to see you on the road. I got my bike at AMS. I think you'll like the agile handling of the SS but will miss the mega power of the big Beemer.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Dude, what a great first post. Vintage Colnago...COTA...you’re already a class act.

It seems few folks appreciate the quality of Arkansas roads. My first bike rally with other internet friends was in Arkansas and the first word I remember coming to mind after I arrived was “delicious”.

The Puig screen is ugly as sin at first but then grows on you. Now I look at the OEM screen and think they must’ve picked the new guy to design it...quite boring. Several of us here have found the Puig does, in fact, clean up the disturbed air as advertised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input on the Puig. I have had good luck with that brand on the Triumph, and the model for the SS looks to be about the right size (for looks) and better than some of the others, but I am waiting to see how the OEM performs. I am also not certain if there are changes to the screen shape/design for 2021- trained eyes of current owners can probably tell, but I don't have that familiarity, yet. It is amazing how varied forum opinions are on the screens, even for similarly sized riders!

As for Arkansas, those roads really are a treat. One of my old bicycle racing teammates retired & moved near Harrison about ten years ago, so I have a place to stay and someone to roll with that knows ALL the roads.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts